SaturnOutlookForum.net
Bookmark and Share
September 21, 2014, 06:07:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: The forum is up and running on our new Dedicated Server! Please PM me if you see issues.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: P0017 & P0018 Crankshaft Position (CKP) Code - Timing Chain Stretched  (Read 16703 times, 10 Replies)
sjsjedi

View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 01, 2011, 12:29:56 AM »

Has anyone else had their timing chain(s) replaced with the P0017 and P0018 code(s) and did it fix the issue?  My 2007 AWD XE (40,000) miles had the P0017 and P0018 check engine codes come on and off for a week.  I took it too the Saturn Auth Chevy dealer who stated it was a stretched timing chain that would have to be replaced and it will be in the shop the next 3-4 days.
Sailfish
Global Moderator

Location: Somewhere out there in SW Ohio being the witch that I am.

I am a volunteer with Sheltie rescue organizations

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 06:48:44 AM »

Mine was throwing a CODE P0021 back in June of 2010 and they replaced the timing chain at that time. 

In August, just my luck, they had to tear the engine down again and replaced the LH head and LH cam actuator.  Without looking up the paperwork I cannot tell you what the codes that were being thrown the second time but probably the same as yours or heck could have just thrown another P0021 again.

Good luck.

11 Enclave CXL2 WDT/Titanium FWD 20" Wheels build 11/10 purchase 2/11 - PF-63 & Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
AA/78U

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 10:47:05 AM »

Has anyone else had their timing chain(s) replaced with the P0017 and P0018 code(s) and did it fix the issue?  My 2007 AWD XE (40,000) miles had the P0017 and P0018 check engine codes come on and off for a week.  I took it too the Saturn Auth Chevy dealer who stated it was a stretched timing chain that would have to be replaced and it will be in the shop the next 3-4 days.

Widely discussed on both the Acadia and Traverse forums.  Once the chains are replaced; there hasn't been any issues. 

Former Acadia Commander; now Impala Herder
2014 Impala LS (non-eco)
Acadia moderator
Traverse moderator
Member # 392
sjsjedi

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 12:08:06 AM »

An update the timing chain was replaced and all seemed fine with the Saturn Outlook until 3 days later when the service engine soon light came back on (and of course Lou Fusz Chevy couldn't get me an appointment any sooner than Feb 16  flaming mad)  Anyway the codes coming from the computer about 3 days ago where Heated Oxygen Sensor Control Circuit (bank 2 sensor 2) then P0161 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfuncion Bar 2 Sensor then P0056 (pd) H02S Heater Oxygen Sensor Control Cir bank 2 Sensor 2.  Then today the "Service Air Bag" message popped up on the display along with the red airbag light. 
sixathome

OUTLOOK Forum member #405

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 08:42:15 AM »

An update the timing chain was replaced and all seemed fine with the Saturn Outlook until 3 days later when the service engine soon light came back on (and of course Lou Fusz Chevy couldn't get me an appointment any sooner than Feb 16  flaming mad)  Anyway the codes coming from the computer about 3 days ago where Heated Oxygen Sensor Control Circuit (bank 2 sensor 2) then P0161 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfuncion Bar 2 Sensor then P0056 (pd) H02S Heater Oxygen Sensor Control Cir bank 2 Sensor 2.  Then today the "Service Air Bag" message popped up on the display along with the red airbag light. 
This is what I'm concerned with, once the engine is dropped and the new chain in and then put all back together, all sorts of other stuff goes wrong because of being disturbed.

'09 OUTLOOK 1XR FWD, SOLD!
'13 Chevy Suburban 4X4 Crystal Red Tintcoat, Ebony 8 seater
'05 VUE 3.5L AUTO
'08 GMC SIERRA CREW Z71 LC9 Sonoma Red with ebony 6 seater
medicrxdoc

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 09:01:44 AM »

This is what I'm concerned with, once the engine is dropped and the new chain in and then put all back together, all sorts of other stuff goes wrong because of being disturbed.

Yep....sounds like they didn't put something together right.
AA/78U

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 06:49:01 AM »

The quality of the technicians will determine how well the engine performs after it has been removed and reinstalled.  I had my 07 engine dropped for the timing chain cover leak and it performs exactly the same as it did before it was removed

Former Acadia Commander; now Impala Herder
2014 Impala LS (non-eco)
Acadia moderator
Traverse moderator
Member # 392
Sailfish
Global Moderator

Location: Somewhere out there in SW Ohio being the witch that I am.

I am a volunteer with Sheltie rescue organizations

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 06:58:21 AM »

Had the timing chain replaced end of June 2010 and 45 days later had to have the engine dropped again for more work.  Guess they got it right the second time because no problems since then.   At least not with the engine.  confused

11 Enclave CXL2 WDT/Titanium FWD 20" Wheels build 11/10 purchase 2/11 - PF-63 & Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
sixathome

OUTLOOK Forum member #405

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 10:57:03 AM »

The quality of the technicians will determine how well the engine performs after it has been removed and reinstalled.  I had my 07 engine dropped for the timing chain cover leak and it performs exactly the same as it did before it was removed
Agreed and makes sense.

'09 OUTLOOK 1XR FWD, SOLD!
'13 Chevy Suburban 4X4 Crystal Red Tintcoat, Ebony 8 seater
'05 VUE 3.5L AUTO
'08 GMC SIERRA CREW Z71 LC9 Sonoma Red with ebony 6 seater
sjsjedi

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 11:29:01 PM »

An update after it took a week to get another appointment from the Chevy dealer that swears  Bang Head it never used to take that long to get an appointment until they got all this Saturn work and are just totally swamped (that they are going to move the neighboring Mitsubishi dealership they own next door down the street to the old Saturn dealership they owned (currently used cars only) and use that building for all the many oil changes/tire rotations/ minor stuff) they replaced the faulty oxygen sensor and so far no problems this week.  They also attributed the brief air bag warning light stating an airbag was not working to the fact I had 2 cell phones and my laptop near the passenger seat and that interference has been known to cause a false positive reading on that light (ie if it happens again bring it back).  So far its been a week and everything appears normal so I'm keeping my fingers crossed and knocking on all the wood and particle board around here.  I do find it interesting the work order states some sort of "goodwill" code because the problem wasn't related to the timing chain but I got to think they messed it up working on the vehicle (as my usual mechanic stated the vehicle was fine last time they inspected it).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 11:32:03 PM by sjsjedi » Logged
rbarrios

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 01:10:53 PM »

You said you had them placed near.... you dont say if it was ON the seat...
but there is a service bulletin thats close to yours.

2009-10
 Acadia; Cobalt; CTS; Equinox; HHR; Impala; OUTLOOK; Traverse; VUE - Passenger airbag indicator and seat belt reminder on when electronic devices are placed on front seat
do this--- Reset code and duplicate problem before replacing components
dont do this--- Don't replace PPS
 08-09-41-007B

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    16,755
2010 Traverse 3.6L-    74,300
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-170,500
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to: