SaturnOutlookForum.net
Bookmark and Share
October 24, 2014, 08:33:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: The forum is up and running on our new Dedicated Server! Please PM me if you see issues.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone know how to get to all of the drain tubes and what not?  (Read 14483 times, 11 Replies)
delta88

delta8t8
View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: February 24, 2011, 06:35:22 PM »

Got a 07 XR AWD with the dual moonroof.

My wife said that when she made a turn today she heard and saw a little bit of water trickle out from the pass side under the dash. I pulled out the plastic covers and yes there was water dripping from the fuse block under the passenger side.

I bought this used. now I have 85k on the clock and I had the dealer print out all the recall repairs and I am up to date so sayth the dealer. I have a copy of the repair list.

Now im just looking for a how to locate the drain tubes in this beast to make sure nothing is plugged,cracked,short,etc.

Thanks
 Ed

2007 Outlook XR AWD 83k miles
Everything but the DVD and 6 disc. I think...
Looking for chrome roof rail end caps. Help!
sixathome

OUTLOOK Forum member #405

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 07:13:49 PM »

Pull off the A pillars, then you can see the tubes and should be able to see if they are plugged, if they are you can go in through the sunroof and find the 2  (1 on each side) drain holes and blow some air down them and see if any junk comes out by the tires. If it was me and the dry/warm space available I would pull the headliner down and go sit in the carwash and look for leaks with a flashlight, that is juat about the only way to throughly find and fix the leak, as it could be a number of different leak spots. I also had an 07 replaced for an ongoing leak issue.

Good luck and if you decide to do the work, take pics.

'09 OUTLOOK 1XR FWD, SOLD!
'13 Chevy Suburban 4X4 Crystal Red Tintcoat, Ebony 8 seater
'05 VUE 3.5L AUTO
'08 GMC SIERRA CREW Z71 LC9 Sonoma Red with ebony 6 seater
medicrxdoc

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 10:09:07 PM »

I remember reading that these need to be cleaned of debris periodically so that this doesn't occur.  I don't think it will be in your manual, just reports from people on the forums that have had similar issues. 

Somebody said that you "blow" the lines with air, too much will break the lines apart so they suggested that the dealer do it.
ls973800

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 10:23:39 PM »

There was a member over on the Enclave forum (Hog) who was/is a mechanic and has vast experience with the sunroof drain problems.  Take a look at this post that includes some of his pictures and comments about leaks ( on page 16 of I think 26 pages).

http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=2039.300

2010 Summit White Traverse LTZ,  SOLD 4/2012
2015 Traverse 2LT Siren Red Tintcoat-36 Month Lease
rbarrios

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 10:35:59 PM »

those are some GREAT SHOTS!!!

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    16,755
2010 Traverse 3.6L-    74,300
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-170,500
ls973800

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 10:38:22 PM »

Just one last cut and paste post made by Hog about the sunroof leaks which might give you some background information about this problem.  It was original copied from Hog and posted by bsox on the Enclave board.

This is the by far the best post I have seen regarding leaks and everyone with a leaker should take this with them to their appt.  I thought it needed its own heading to draw people to it as many may not read it inside another thread.  Thank you to HOG for this post!

The biggest concern for repeat water leaks with sunroofs is that the techs are short cutting the repair the first time.
There are five steps involved with this repair. Before you can diagnois this properly, the headliner has to come down and possibly
out of the car. This is not a hard job, it just sounds like it.

Watertest the car, without the headliner in the car, it's easy to find the source. The front sunroof drain tubes are one piece and exit into
the dash area with a rubber grommet. This grommet doesn't have a big hole in it for the water to drain out. It has what looks like a
phillips screwdriver slot which has to be removed with a X-Acto knife so no debris can lay in there and clog the tube. The grommet has to
be installed correctly back into the dash or the water will leak into the interior.

The stationary glass on the earlier production cars had four drain holes in the sheetmetal gutter that the staionary glass was sealed into.
The staionary glass has to be completely sealed because there are no drain gutters surrounding the glass. If the glass is not completely sealed,
the water will come through these holes and leak onto the headliner. This is the main cause for water leaking into the rear dome lamp.
These drain holes have to be sealed using windshield urethane. late model cars had two of these holes, and the 09's have none.

The electric sunroof has rear drain tubes that are not quite long enough and they work loose allowing water to leak onto the headliner. The water
can also find its way to the rear dome light. By installing one rubber drain extension on each side and using a tie wrap to secure the drain tube to the sunroof drain nipple, the water will drain where it is suppose to, and not into the interior.

At the back of the car on the roof panel is a plastic molding on the left and right side where the roof and the quarter panels, along with the rear end panel meet. This molding covers up a seam where these panels meet. If the sealer wasn't put on correctly, water will enter the rear of the car and run across the rear of the headliner and exit on the left and right sides by the power lifgate actuator and power outlet on the left side and also on the right side at the rear by the liftgate. The rear "ditch" moldings have to removed and water tested here also.

Some dealers have been fooled into thinking the sunroof module is not sealed properly when in fact it is the stationary glass that is not sealed
properly allowing water to leak onto the headlinerand run towards the front of the car and out at the kick panels by your feet on the left ot right sides. the only way to diagnois this is to remove the sunroof module and water test the seal for the stationary glass. If a leak is found here, the stationary glass has to be removed and reset to eliminate the leak.

The rear drain tubes have to routed above a head curtain air bag bracket so they won't have loop allowing water to lay in the tube instead of draining out. All of the early cars, the tubes were not routed correctly.

The recall for this pays 2.9 hours. If it is done properly, you won't have a repeat repair. The major cause of a repeat repair is the tech not doing the recall properly by following all the steps. I have done cars that were leaking really bad and none have come back. Yes, you will not make any money doing this repair the correct way, but the owner of the car will certainly be gratefull for me following all the steps.

I hope this will help someone enlighten their dealer to do ALL the steps for this recall. It is critical...

2010 Summit White Traverse LTZ,  SOLD 4/2012
2015 Traverse 2LT Siren Red Tintcoat-36 Month Lease
delta88

delta8t8
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 11:53:46 PM »

Weeelllll,
Took the A-pillar cover down and pulled the headliner down, removed the drain tube and took some pictures.
Everything seemed just fine.

Besides the very wet passenger floor carpet I spotted a wet spot on the headliner right where the A-pillar plastic touches it.

Maybe water froze in the drain tube and it overflowed? Never had this issue with our Honda Civic and it was a year round ride for 10 years before we sold it for $4700.00 Smiley 10yr old Honda for that much. Hope the Outlook has that decent of a return wink

That post on the Enclave forum is very very informative. Most likely I will be dropping my headliner and taking ol besssy through the car wash a few times to check on things as well as the drains on the rear glass that doesnt move? Didnt know it had drains but Ill check um out. maybe even pull the seat out and check under the carpet.

Sailfish
Global Moderator

Location: Somewhere out there in SW Ohio being the witch that I am.

I am a volunteer with Sheltie rescue organizations

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 12:22:29 AM »

Besides the very wet passenger floor carpet I spotted a wet spot on the headliner right where the A-pillar plastic touches it.

Maybe water froze in the drain tube and it overflowed? Never had this issue with our Honda Civic and it was a year round ride for 10 years before we sold it for $4700.00 Smiley 10yr old Honda for that much. Hope the Outlook has that decent of a return wink

Had a water leak appear Feb 12 and they said it was probably because the drain tubes had frozen as well.  Then it appeared again the day before I was turning it in for the new Enclave and I thought...yea don't think so because it wasn't freezing out then.  Actually I had never had problems with the drain lines freezing before and the Outlook...never saw the inside of a garage.  The Enclave....NO SUNROOFS and unfortunately probably no garage either.  so sad

11 Enclave CXL2 WDT/Titanium FWD 20" Wheels build 11/10 purchase 2/11 - PF-63 & Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
sixathome

OUTLOOK Forum member #405

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 07:09:44 PM »

Weeelllll,
Took the A-pillar cover down and pulled the headliner down, removed the drain tube and took some pictures.
Everything seemed just fine.

By chance did you run water over the roof?, also are you able to post pics?

'09 OUTLOOK 1XR FWD, SOLD!
'13 Chevy Suburban 4X4 Crystal Red Tintcoat, Ebony 8 seater
'05 VUE 3.5L AUTO
'08 GMC SIERRA CREW Z71 LC9 Sonoma Red with ebony 6 seater
delta88

delta8t8
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 11:05:13 PM »

Oh I have plenty of pictures.

Currently I have a 2007 Outlook in the driveway with the headliner resting on the dash, steering wheel and seats... Just trying to figure out how to remove it from the back as it seems to be wider then the opening..

The 2nd and 3rd row are folded down and the front seats are reclined as far as they go.

It kind of looks like the water is coming in at the front of the rear moonroof or rear the front moonroof wink Its nice how the front pass airbag is all wet so it freezes when the temp drops. All this and it was already in for the recall back when Smiley

who1975

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 11:03:20 AM »

I am sorry that this is a little off topic, but I took our new but old Outlook to the carwash (touchless) and did not notice any water leaks.  however, as it went throught the blowers I did reach my hand up to the sides of the suroof where the mechanicals are and noticed a little bit of water.  Is this normal?  I also could feel a very slight flow of air when going through the blowers.  Thanks in advance for any info.

Bill

Soon to be 2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD with every option
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE Package #2 and Dual DVD headrests
who1975

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 06:32:58 AM »

I am sorry that this is a little off topic, but I took our new but old Outlook to the carwash (touchless) and did not notice any water leaks.  however, as it went throught the blowers I did reach my hand up to the sides of the suroof where the mechanicals are and noticed a little bit of water.  Is this normal?  I also could feel a very slight flow of air when going through the blowers.  Thanks in advance for any info.

Bill

Thanks to 6Sixathome, I have my anwser on the water on the track of the sunroof after carwash.  Totally normal!!  Whew!! Cheers

Soon to be 2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD with every option
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE Package #2 and Dual DVD headrests
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to: