SaturnOutlookForum.net
Bookmark and Share
July 22, 2014, 05:23:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for something smaller than the Outlook? Check out the all new Chevy Equinox at http://www.EquinoxForum.net

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: O2 Sensor location and cylinder banks  (Read 8650 times, 7 Replies)
vwtodd

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: March 11, 2011, 04:29:19 PM »

My 2009 Outlook is showing a "bank 2, sensor 1" ODB code - front oxygen sensor. Just confirming - is bank 2 towards the firewall or the radiator?

Thanks!

**UPDATE**

Got the answer from a senior Cadillac mechanic on another forum. On the 3.6, Bank 1 is the passenger side on a longitudal mount, so the firewall side on the Lambdas. He said the way to tell on ANY GM motor (and probably most others) is to look for the cylinder furthest offset from the rear of the motor. All V'6s are offset so the rods have room on the crank.

On the Lambdas, the offset cylinder (looking from under the hood) is the far left closest to the firewall, making that Bank 1.

PHEW - makes my job easier since that is the easiest O2 sensor to reach!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 08:26:46 PM by vwtodd » Logged
AA/78U

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 11:08:51 AM »

I am going to say firewall; are you thinking of changing this sensor yourself?

07 FWD 4SA 78U  thumbs up,
ABC,AP3,BS1,CJ2,C3U,DLT,DS3,E61,IP2,KA1,KV1,NP5,PCM,PDC,PDD,RCA,UV6,U42,V08,V92,XA7
Blue/Gold & SLT1 President
Acadia Nirvana- I have reached a higher level of conscientiousness
Acadia moderator
Traverse moderator
Member # 392
ls973800

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 04:57:31 PM »

All I could find right now is a schematic of a 2007 Saturn Outlook.  Bank 2 Sensor 1 shows the sensor to be near the top of the exhaust pipe that comes down the side of the engine and bends under the engine and towards the rear.  The Bank 2 is actually towards the radiator and is also called the left side of the engine.  Bank 2 Sensor 2 would be near the bottom of the exhaust pipe where it starts to curve towards the rear of the car.

Bank 1 is near the firewall, and is also called the right side of the engine.

I would think the terminology has not changed for the 2009, even though you have the D.I. engine.

2010 Summit White Traverse LTZ, Nav, Sunroof, Rear Entertainment, Towing, Rear Buckets w/Console- Added $3.00 Nav By-Pass, Rearview Mirror w/Compass, Cabin Air Filter, Lights to Homelink Buttons  SOLD 4/2012
vwtodd

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 06:28:20 PM »

All I could find right now is a schematic of a 2007 Saturn Outlook.  Bank 2 Sensor 1 shows the sensor to be near the top of the exhaust pipe that comes down the side of the engine and bends under the engine and towards the rear.  The Bank 2 is actually towards the radiator and is also called the left side of the engine.  Bank 2 Sensor 2 would be near the bottom of the exhaust pipe where it starts to curve towards the rear of the car.

I would think the terminology has not changed for the 2009, even though you have the D.I. engine.

Thanks - that is very helpful. I was under the impression that cylinder 1 (usually corresponding to "bank 1") on the GM 3.6 is the upper left cylinder at the top of motor, which would mean the opposite, but I am trusting your schematic as the firing order should not change with DI.

If it is the top one on the radiator side, it is dead simple to get to so yes, AA/78U, I plan on doing it myself.

Anybody have a recommendation on which brand to get? I have heard both good/bad about Walker, Bosch is expensive and Denso looks like garbage (but I could be wrong)

Thanks!
sixathome

OUTLOOK Forum member #405

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 05:29:32 PM »

Anybody have a recommendation on which brand to get? I have heard both good/bad about Walker, Bosch is expensive and Denso looks like garbage (but I could be wrong)

Thanks!
Why not just go to the dealer and get OEM, whatever it may be?

'09 OUTLOOK 1XR FWD, SOLD!
'13 Chevy Suburban 4X4 Crystal Red Tintcoat, Ebony 8 seater
'05 VUE 3.5L AUTO
'08 GMC SIERRA CREW Z71 LC9 Sonoma Red with ebony 6 seater
lsuduke

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 06:08:21 PM »

If you can buy one at an auto parts store you are going to save money, dealer always charges more for parts, the issue may be getting the correct part.  Happened to me a few years ago, every parts store had replacement oxygen sensors for a Dodge I had, but they all had the wrong connector round vs square, had to go to dealer and pay 50% more for the correct end. 

2010 Outlook XE AWD Carbon Black Metallic with Ebony, 2006 Vue Black with Gray
vwtodd

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 03:34:10 PM »

I just got off the phone with Autozone and they said that their documentation shows that Bank 2 is the firewall side, at least on the '09. I am trying to get confirmation one way or the other!
sixathome

OUTLOOK Forum member #405

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 03:45:05 PM »

I just got off the phone with Autozone and they said that their documentation shows that Bank 2 is the firewall side, at least on the '09. I am trying to get confirmation one way or the other!
It'll be the same on yours too.

'09 OUTLOOK 1XR FWD, SOLD!
'13 Chevy Suburban 4X4 Crystal Red Tintcoat, Ebony 8 seater
'05 VUE 3.5L AUTO
'08 GMC SIERRA CREW Z71 LC9 Sonoma Red with ebony 6 seater
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to: