SaturnOutlookForum.net
Bookmark and Share
September 01, 2014, 03:26:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum Tip: Click the little blue 'new' icon next to any topic to jump right to the first unread message.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AC evaporator  (Read 4563 times, 8 Replies)
jjmiller

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 21, 2011, 11:13:31 AM »

I have green fluid leaking out of my 2009 Saturn Outlook.  I was told by the dealer that the evaporator coil is leaking.  The cost to fix is ~$1400...the whole dash has to come out.  Does this sound right?  How can the evaporator be bad already?  I am out of warranty on miles, but the car is only 2 years old.  Do you think I should go back to GM to try and get it covered?
AA/78U

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 11:35:35 AM »

Sounds about right; although I wouldn't think the dealer would want to remove your dash just to replace the evaporator if it wasn't leaking.  Is the fluid leaking on the ground?  Were you having A/C issues?  Contact the Customer Service member to see what she can do to help you out.  I agree that a 2 year old evaporator shouldn't have started leaking

Former Acadia Commander; now Impala Herder
2014 Impala LS (non-eco)
Acadia moderator
Traverse moderator
Member # 392
jjmiller

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 11:48:24 AM »

Yes the fluid is leaking on the ground.  I have heard there is a green dye in the refrigerant so it seems legit.  I was just wondering if anybody had an opinion as to whether GM would stand behind it.
jjmiller

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 11:49:34 AM »

Oh, and the AC still works right now...once the refrigerant all leaks off, it probably won't.
medicrxdoc

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 12:12:41 PM »

Your evaporator coil shouldn't be bad, but unfortunately some of them are...
gig229

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 02:12:26 AM »

The evaporator on my 09 Enclave went with only 13,000 miles on the odometer.  Then my HVAC case was warped and had to be replaced.  I even had the thermo expansion valve problem, as well as an AC tube leaking.  All in all, the AC has been the most troublesome in my 09 Enclave, requiring the dashboard to be taken out twice.  It was covered under warranty, but a major hassle.  When they replace your AC evaporator, I would also have them replace the HVAC case at the same time - there's a TSB on the warped HVAC (according to my dealer; I don't have the number).  When I did research on the HVAC case, I saw several different part numbers for the 2008, 2009, and 2010s, indicating a possible problem/redesign.  (This was for the automatic tri-zone AC case).
AA/78U

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 05:15:01 PM »

Thanks for the additional info gig  thumbs up

Former Acadia Commander; now Impala Herder
2014 Impala LS (non-eco)
Acadia moderator
Traverse moderator
Member # 392
jjmiller

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 02:32:15 PM »

Well now three years after the dealer replaced the evaporator coil that started this thread it is bad once again.  The dealer confirmed that it is leaking and it will be another $1300 to replace it.  The service guy stated that he has replaced a bunch of them.  GM and the dealership did help with the cost of the first one that failed at 2 years/60,000 miles.  Now 3 years and 60,000 miles later it has failed again. I opened another case with GM and they have denied any help and closed the case.  At least that is what GM is telling me when I inquire about the case number.  However, when I call the dealership, they only tell me that they have not heard back from GM.

Oh by the way, I just had to have the transmission rebuilt for $4000 because of the 35R waveplate failure.  Although, I really like this vehicle it has turned out to be the biggest piece of crap I have ever owned and I can no longer afford to own it.  Every vehicle my wife and I have ever owned since we have started driving has been a GM.  I can honestly say my next one will NOT be.  As a result of this vehicle GM has lost a loyal customer.
rbarrios

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 05:10:00 PM »

For other owners with 2009-2008s.
If youre concerned with the wave plate- it may be to your advantage to have the 35R plate removed and replaced.
THis is about a $650 job (while it is still intact)...

vs the up to $4000 of the the repair- once it does break.

theres a few members that have already done this proactive aproach

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    16,755
2010 Traverse 3.6L-    74,300
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-170,500
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to: