SaturnOutlookForum.net
Bookmark and Share
October 23, 2014, 04:35:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: The forum is up and running on our new Dedicated Server! Please PM me if you see issues.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Service Air Bag Warning Message & Check Light Coming On  (Read 36084 times, 35 Replies)
cherryapple1

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2011, 07:40:37 PM »

maddmax,

I realize that you may be out of warranty with your 2007 Saturn Outlook.  I understand that having this light is frustrating.  The following information is from your owner's manual.

I recommend that you visit your local Saturn servicing dealership for further diagnostics of this light staying on.

If you have further questions please, direct message me.

Michelle P., GM Customer Service

Hi Michelle,

I just found this post as I have been searching through the internet to try to resolve a problem I have been having with my 2007 Outlook.  I have had the Service Airbag issue since a year after I bought the car.  I brought it in to the dealership twice for service (they only have it recorded once because they no longer keep Saturn records they told me) but the light always came back on within days - even hours the second time.  Why is it that this is an issue that seems to be plaguing all model years, yet only 2008 and 2009 models are getting the recall notice?  My local GM dealer wants to charge me $1000.00 to fix the sensor for the right passenger seat.  I feel this is completely unfair when other years have received this repair for free.  My last service was on 12/12/09 for the airbag while my car was still under warranty.  Even the dealer told me last week that this is a common problem with the Outlooks and the Acadias.  I can't get an inspection sticker unless this is fixed - for some reason the station I went to last year passed me even though the light was on.  I love the Outlook but am tired of always having to get repairs for recall work or to repair other issues out of warranty.

Thank you
jcarm75

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2012, 02:27:54 AM »

Had this done in December 2011, a new wiring harness was ordered and replaced in my 2009 Outlook.  Took it in again today Jan 6. Service tech said it was a bad contact in the connector and he replaced that connector.  Didnt say where it was, just that it had a bad connection. Never got a recall notice for it though. Just the headlight wiring harness.

JCarm75
sixathome

OUTLOOK Forum member #405

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2012, 05:56:17 PM »

Hi Michelle,

I just found this post as I have been searching through the internet to try to resolve a problem I have been having with my 2007 Outlook.  I have had the Service Airbag issue since a year after I bought the car.  I brought it in to the dealership twice for service (they only have it recorded once because they no longer keep Saturn records they told me) but the light always came back on within days - even hours the second time.  Why is it that this is an issue that seems to be plaguing all model years, yet only 2008 and 2009 models are getting the recall notice?  My local GM dealer wants to charge me $1000.00 to fix the sensor for the right passenger seat.  I feel this is completely unfair when other years have received this repair for free.  My last service was on 12/12/09 for the airbag while my car was still under warranty.  Even the dealer told me last week that this is a common problem with the Outlooks and the Acadias.  I can't get an inspection sticker unless this is fixed - for some reason the station I went to last year passed me even though the light was on.  I love the Outlook but am tired of always having to get repairs for recall work or to repair other issues out of warranty.

Thank you
That is just gouging! That dealer should be reported, 1K just to replace a sensor. What are doing, replacing the whole seat in gold?

'09 OUTLOOK 1XR FWD, SOLD!
'13 Chevy Suburban 4X4 Crystal Red Tintcoat, Ebony 8 seater
'05 VUE 3.5L AUTO
'08 GMC SIERRA CREW Z71 LC9 Sonoma Red with ebony 6 seater
Sailfish
Global Moderator

Location: Somewhere out there in SW Ohio being the witch that I am.

I am a volunteer with Sheltie rescue organizations

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2012, 06:01:31 PM »

That is just gouging! That dealer should be reported, 1K just to replace a sensor. What are doing, replacing the whole seat in gold?

Agree!

Dealers see people with Outlooks coming into their service department and think, hummm let's see if I can boost our service income.

I ran into that before with dealers and the Outlook.  I even had a Chevrolet dealership tell me that the Outlook was the worst car out there.  Now mind you that is when we were looking to replace the Outlook.  I turned to the salesman and said "what?"  The Traverse is on the same platform as the Outlook so what he was telling me was plain bull.

Do not let them get away with charging you that much.

Find another dealer or heck send a message to GM customer service Michelle on this board and ask her to find you another dealership in your area who will service your Outlook.

11 Enclave CXL2 WDT/Titanium FWD 20" Wheels build 11/10 purchase 2/11 - PF-63 & Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
cayrol

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2012, 05:48:38 PM »

My "service airbag" light came on and stayed on about a month ago. Took it to the dealer that told me the passenger side instrument panel airbag connectors have to be replaced. Code B0019. He was honest enough to tell me the part only costs about $15, but the labor is what will cost me $1100. Said they have to remove the entire dash and it takes about 12 hours for total job to be done. They're nice enough to credit me the $125 I paid to have it diagnosed. So where do I go from here?
 Help
Otorres1

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2012, 01:08:50 PM »

My Service Air Bag light has come on, and as I read this thread, there seems to be a problem with the vehicle itself. It reads that owners were receiving a letter about the issue, and that the issue would be resolved by GM for 100,000 (read that in the Acadia room). Does anyone have a copy of this letter, or a letter number that I can pass on to my Authorized Saturn Service Provider. I have recently come out of warranty and so I need stuff like this to correct the growing number of problems my Outlook is exhibiting. Thanks a lot.

2008 Outlook FWD XE
3.6L VVT V6
6 Speed Automatic Transmission
Convenience Package; Preferred Package
rbarrios

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2012, 05:44:54 PM »

Dear General Motors Customer:

As the owner of a 2008 model year Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia, or Saturn OUTLOOK vehicle, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2008 model year Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia, and Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles may exhibit wear which could lead to corrosion in the connector terminal pins at the connection between the body main wiring harness and the front driver and passenger side impact air bag. Over time, the wear may result in a resistance value that sets a SERVICE AIR BAG System warning message in the Driver Information Center (DIC). The seat side impact air bag would continue to be fully functional. Over time, and if the SERVICE AIR BAG System DIC warning message is ignored, the resistance could increase to a level in which the seat side impact air bag may not deploy when commanded in a side impact crash.

Do not take your vehicle to your GM dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

What We Have Done: General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for this condition. If this condition occurs on your 2008 model year Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia, or Saturn OUTLOOK vehicle within 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge . Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program.

What You Should Do: If you believe that your vehicle has the condition described above, repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer. You may want to contact your GM dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. Keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.

Reimbursement: The enclosed form explains what reimbursement is available and how to request reimbursement if you have paid for repairs for the special coverage condition. Your request for reimbursement, including the information and documents mentioned on the enclosed form, must be received by GM by January 31, 2012. If you have any questions or need any assistance to better understand related repairs, please contact your dealer.

If you have questions related to a potential reimbursement, please contact the appropriate Customer Assistance Center at the number listed below.

Division
Number
Text Telephones (TTY)

Buick
1-866-608-8080
1-800-832-8425

GMC
1-866-996-9463
1-800-462-8583

Saturn
1-800-972-8876
1-800-833-6000

Guam
1-671-648-8450

Puerto Rico - English
1-800-496-9992

Puerto Rico - Espaņol
1-800-496-9993

Virgin Islands
1-800-496-9994

We are sorry for any inconvenience you may experience; however we have taken this action in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products.

Jim Moloney

General Director,

Customer and Relationship Services

Enclosure

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    16,755
2010 Traverse 3.6L-    74,300
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-170,500
Otorres1

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2012, 10:51:57 PM »

Thanks for this. I was able to get a copy off of the Acadia forum, but this one has a more general designation. I also emailed Michelle, and she related that there is special coverage for this problem. I imagine if anyone does indeed have a 2008 Outlook, they should get it repaired at no cost. Thanks everyone.

2008 Outlook FWD XE
3.6L VVT V6
6 Speed Automatic Transmission
Convenience Package; Preferred Package
crewfan20

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2013, 08:05:26 PM »

I have a 2008 AWD Outlook and took it in for them to fix the airbag issue, but apparently the letter only covered 2 codes.  They failed to tell me that I had additonal code that weren't covered.  When I got in the car to leave my airbag light was still on.  I had to alert another the service guy to it.  He said he would look into it and call me back.  A couple of months later after not hearing anything back from I ended up calling them.  Of course, GM or my extended warranty wouldn't cover it.  They ended up replacing the PPS Module and programmed it for a tune of aound $1,000.
4alexa2

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2013, 04:02:47 PM »

You can go to GM's website and Go to the "owner center" link. Your manual and much more is there for you free. I just found it.

Oh, and yes, I too am having the air bag service warning!!!
maxxedout

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2013, 10:29:39 PM »

My came on and it was water in the panel behind the glove box..
jwass4dozer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2013, 09:51:10 PM »

We have a 2008 Saturn Outlook. We purchased it new from an authorized dealer.  We have been seeing the "Service Airbag" warning light in the last few months.  Today we took it into our dealer for service and we were told we would have to spend $900 to repair it.  As we researched this issue online, we came across this forum.  I am seeing posts that some owners received a recall letter.  Someone even posted a copy of a letter.  We never received this letter.  It is unbelievable that we will have to cover this expense, given the number of people who are experiencing this issue.  Is there a formal recall for this problem or not?  If not, why not?   Huh?
jcarm75

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2013, 12:58:53 AM »

My 2rd repair was covered under warranty, but I did have to pay a diagnostic fee. flaming mad $119 since it was out of the 3 year bumper to bumper coverage. One of my tire TPS sensors is also bad, but they reset it, a service TPS system pops up every once in awhile, so I don't rely on it and actually hate having it so buggy. I manually check my tire pressure.
This air bag error was under the driver seat this time. The solution was to clean the connectors, apply dielectric grease to all the connections to keep them from rusting/oxidizing and causing the error code.

EDIT: 9/22/13 Just came on again. This is the 3rd time. Jezuz.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 01:49:10 AM by jcarm75 » Logged
Seahorse3109

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2013, 10:58:49 PM »

I bought a 2008 Saturn Outlook last December 2012. Right off the bat we lost the water pump, then the headlight wiring harness needed to be replaced. Now for the last two months the Service airbag message comes on and the light but intermittently.  I am at least 90 miles from the nearest GM dealer and have taken it in twice now. The first time I learned that there was a recall notice for it  and the repairs relating to that were done. I left the dealership and the light immediatley came back on.  Took the car back down and was told that it was a dfferent module and that it cost $535 and almost $400 in labor!!!! That it was located in the seat on the passenger side. Have been "working" with two different people at GM headquarters and they now tell me that I am on my own and won't help me! My extended warranty that I purchased through our bank also will not cover it.  What am I to do? This is a major safety issue and they won't fix it?? Has anyone else had the recall repairs done but the light and warning still come on?
vandam500

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2014, 10:30:05 PM »

I bought a 2008 Saturn Outlook last December 2012. Right off the bat we lost the water pump, then the headlight wiring harness needed to be replaced. Now for the last two months the Service airbag message comes on and the light but intermittently.  I am at least 90 miles from the nearest GM dealer and have taken it in twice now. The first time I learned that there was a recall notice for it  and the repairs relating to that were done. I left the dealership and the light immediatley came back on.  Took the car back down and was told that it was a dfferent module and that it cost $535 and almost $400 in labor!!!! That it was located in the seat on the passenger side. Have been "working" with two different people at GM headquarters and they now tell me that I am on my own and won't help me! My extended warranty that I purchased through our bank also will not cover it.  What am I to do? This is a major safety issue and they won't fix it?? Has anyone else had the recall repairs done but the light and warning still come on?

GM just officially did a recall for this yesterday! I can't post links but Google "gm suv airbag recall" or look at GM's website under news and you'll see!!!
SenordrummeR2

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2014, 02:38:15 PM »

GM just officially did a recall for this yesterday! I can't post links but Google "gm suv airbag recall" or look at GM's website under news and you'll see!!!
Here's the link to the official release:
http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2014/mar/0317-gm.html

There are a couple of paragraphs that directly deal with the Lambdas.

Some 2008-2009 and all 2010-2013 Buick Enclave and GMC Acadia, some 2009 and all 2010-2013 Chevrolet Traverse, and some 2008-2009 and all 2010 Saturn Outlook to repair the wiring harness of seat mounted side air bags

With respect to the Enclave, Traverse, Acadia and Outlook, the vehicles are equipped with a Service Air Bag warning light in the driver information center.  Ignoring the Service Air Bag warning light will eventually result in the non-deployment of the side impact restraints, which include driver and passenger seat-mounted side air bags, front center air bag (if equipped), and the seat belt pretensioners.   

To repair the condition, dealers will remove the driver and passenger side air bag wiring harness connectors and splice and solder the wires together.

The release doesn't indicate how to approach the repair. I've checked my my.gm.com account, and it doesn't list any active recalls. I also tried searching my VIN, but that doesn't show any recalls either. However, I have noticed that the Service Air Bag message has appeared, and the passenger air bag will randomly turn off depending on how my wife is sitting at the time. It hasn't happened in about a month, but it still concerns me. Hopefully GM will send out recall notices so I have something to show the dealer.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to: