SaturnOutlookForum.net
Bookmark and Share
July 28, 2014, 02:26:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for something smaller than the Outlook? Check out the all new Chevy Equinox at http://www.EquinoxForum.net

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ride VERY stiff after jacking up Outlook to work on brakes/rotate tires  (Read 12689 times, 13 Replies)
TQuentin1

View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 27, 2010, 05:44:17 PM »

Yesterday I jacked the car up to work on the brakes and rotate the tires. I had the car on four jackstands at each wheel.  After finishing that work, I slapped the wheels back on and let the car back down.  On my test ride, the suspension seemed VERY stiff.  I blew it off thinking it was just because I rarely drive the Saturn and just was not used to how it rode.  But my wife (who drives it daily) commented about how "bumpy" the ride was since I worked on it.

Is there something that gets set in the ride control that would make it feel very stiff once it has been jacked up off the roadway?  The brake system was very dry (took a quart and half of DOT 3 to flush and refill the system).  Is there something in the brake system/ABS that would cause this?

Thanx for your help.

TQ
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 10:19:21 AM by TQuentin1 » Logged
rbarrios

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 06:30:24 PM »

Is there alot of rust on the suspension? maybe the struts are not moving properly along their path or travel?
you didnt air up the tires?

as the brake pads wear- they move inward- this will lead to the fluid dropping level.
I know it drops some- but not a quarts and a half worth...

many times- people top off the brakes- and when they put new pads in- they have to push out the calipers-- and the fluid begins to spill from the reservoir-..

You saying that the reservoir was empty- did you put fluid in the right reservoir?
I cant imagine the reservoir itself  being that empty that it took a quart and a half.

You should have gotten some light on- if it was that low

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    16,755
2010 Traverse 3.6L-    74,300
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-170,500
TQuentin1

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 12:46:30 PM »

Is there alot of rust on the suspension? maybe the struts are not moving properly along their path or travel?
you didnt air up the tires?

No rust to speak of.  Suspension seems to be working correctly, just very stiff since I had the car up on jackstands.  I did check the tire pressure when I rotated them, and all were OK.

as the brake pads wear- they move inward- this will lead to the fluid dropping level.
I know it drops some- but not a quarts and a half worth...

I was shocked too.  But there is no evidence of any leaking.  I am worried that the reservoir was not full to begin with when I bought the car (new).

many times- people top off the brakes- and when they put new pads in- they have to push out the calipers-- and the fluid begins to spill from the reservoir-..

Right.  When I change the pads (few more thousand miles left on these), I will be aware of overflow and siphon the MC as I go.

You saying that the reservoir was empty- did you put fluid in the right reservoir?
I cant imagine the reservoir itself  being that empty that it took a quart and a half.

Only one MC on this vehicle.  Clearly marked with a "DOT 3" label.

You should have gotten some light on- if it was that low

No light.

TQ
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 12:54:02 PM by TQuentin1 » Logged
rbarrios

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 01:11:45 PM »

hmmmmmmmm- then I dont know what to say...
I too have put my Traverse on stands-- no ride issued afterwards...
Maybe you need to go for a drive- and go through a nice dip to get the shocks to move along their path of travel?
Also--- did you use a torque wrench to tighen up your lug nuts?

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    16,755
2010 Traverse 3.6L-    74,300
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-170,500
BigTallV

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 04:21:35 PM »

The brake system was very dry (took a quart and half of DOT 3).  Is there something in the brake system/ABS that would cause this?

The hydraulic brake system is a sealed system.  If you just poured in 1.5 quarts of brake fluid into the reservoir there's something seriously leaking off the fluid.  Get that checked out first.

As for the ride quality issue, sounds like when you jacked up the vehicle, part of the suspension is binding.  The vehicle when jacked up would have the wheels at their furthest point of travel - which is not normally the case unless you're jumping your vehicle off of ramps and such.  Maybe a problem with one of the struts/shock absorber.

2009 Outlook XR (FWD) in Carbon Black Metallic, Preferred Equipment Group 1XR, Ebony Cloth 7 Passenger Seating, Two Panel Sunroof, V92 Trailer Package, Cold Weather Package (Remote Start & Heated Washer Fluid System), 2nd Row Console, Bose Premium Audio Package With 10 Speakers
medicrxdoc

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 02:19:47 PM »

The hydraulic brake system is a sealed system.  If you just poured in 1.5 quarts of brake fluid into the reservoir there's something seriously leaking off the fluid.  Get that checked out first.

I doubt that it even holds that much.  Depending on the vehicle, I won't even go through that much with a brake fluid flush (haven't done the Acadia yet)....either the units is wrong or somebody if full of it.....
TQuentin1

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 10:43:16 AM »

Well, you're right.  That was a bit misleading.  I USED a quart and a half (one quart bottle and one pint bottle about 1/3 of which I still have) to refill the system and flush/bleed the system.  I probably used about half that total volume in doing this.  But I was shocked that the reservoir was so low.  I have crawled all over the bottom of the car looking for any signs that the fluid is leaking and can't find any.  So does anyone know the way the power system works on these cars and can the fluid be held somewhere in the system besides the reservoir?  Can the vacuum mechanism consume brake fluid if there is a problem with it?

Now that I have flushed and bled the system, the fluid level seems to be holding.  But if it is a very slow draw, I might not see that for a while and it may be masked by pad wear.

Still perplexed where all that fluid could have gone unless it did NOT start out full.

As for the ride quality issue, sounds like when you jacked up the vehicle, part of the suspension is binding.  The vehicle when jacked up would have the wheels at their furthest point of travel - which is not normally the case unless you're jumping your vehicle off of ramps and such.  Maybe a problem with one of the struts/shock absorber.

I did not see any place where the suspension seemed to be binding.  However, this is a gas system, and I do not know if the shocks can get "gas locked" if they travel to their max. like when the car is jacked up by the frame.  Over time the ride has return to normal.

TQ
BigTallV

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 01:51:11 PM »

Glad the ride has returned to 'normal'.

Just keep an eye on your brake fluid level.  Level of which shouldn't really budge unless you have a leak.

2009 Outlook XR (FWD) in Carbon Black Metallic, Preferred Equipment Group 1XR, Ebony Cloth 7 Passenger Seating, Two Panel Sunroof, V92 Trailer Package, Cold Weather Package (Remote Start & Heated Washer Fluid System), 2nd Row Console, Bose Premium Audio Package With 10 Speakers
dmiller

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 03:31:52 PM »

i have the same issue after a local repair shop putting my outlook on a lift. now it rides rough. I took it to a dealer and they said my struts were frozen. The piston is not moving on either strut. So before i replace them, i need to know if you or anyone knows what could cause this. I find it particularly weird that both struts would go out the day after the vehicle was placed on a lift.   PLEASE ANYONE?    I noticed that you said your outlook ride went back to normal after a few weeks. Did you do anything to it ?

2007 Saturn Outlook XE
Sailfish
Global Moderator

Location: Somewhere out there in SW Ohio being the witch that I am.

I am a volunteer with Sheltie rescue organizations

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 03:39:38 PM »

Each time I have the oil changed in the Outlook and they bring it down from the lift it always rides a bit stiffer but works itself out shortly.

11 Enclave CXL2 WDT/Titanium FWD 20" Wheels build 11/10 purchase 2/11 - PF-63 & Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
sixathome

OUTLOOK Forum member #405

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 08:58:56 PM »

i have the same issue after a local repair shop putting my outlook on a lift. now it rides rough. I took it to a dealer and they said my struts were frozen. The piston is not moving on either strut. So before i replace them, i need to know if you or anyone knows what could cause this. I find it particularly weird that both struts would go out the day after the vehicle was placed on a lift.   PLEASE ANYONE?    I noticed that you said your outlook ride went back to normal after a few weeks. Did you do anything to it ?
dmiller,   Welcome

Frozen struts?, that's a first  confused maybe the local shop did something wrong while lifting it, I would try a 2nd opinion. Please update your signature so we know what year OUTLOOK that you have and options ,etc.

'09 OUTLOOK 1XR FWD, SOLD!
'13 Chevy Suburban 4X4 Crystal Red Tintcoat, Ebony 8 seater
'05 VUE 3.5L AUTO
'08 GMC SIERRA CREW Z71 LC9 Sonoma Red with ebony 6 seater
dmiller

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 12:13:15 PM »

Thanks for the advice. When I say frozed, I mean I the front end doesn't even bounce. I will get a 2nd opinion. How long did yours take to resume normal ride?This rides like a sports car, maybe worse.

2007 Saturn Outlook XE
Sailfish
Global Moderator

Location: Somewhere out there in SW Ohio being the witch that I am.

I am a volunteer with Sheltie rescue organizations

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 01:35:39 PM »

Not long at all perhaps 5 to 10 miles down the road.  I noticed it on our VUE as well and it also would clear up.

11 Enclave CXL2 WDT/Titanium FWD 20" Wheels build 11/10 purchase 2/11 - PF-63 & Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
tpd17

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 03:47:27 PM »

Well, you're right.  That was a bit misleading.  I USED a quart and a half (one quart bottle and one pint bottle about 1/3 of which I still have) to refill the system and flush/bleed the system.  I probably used about half that total volume in doing this.  But I was shocked that the reservoir was so low.  I have crawled all over the bottom of the car looking for any signs that the fluid is leaking and can't find any.  So does anyone know the way the power system works on these cars and can the fluid be held somewhere in the system besides the reservoir?  Can the vacuum mechanism consume brake fluid if there is a problem with it?

Now that I have flushed and bled the system, the fluid level seems to be holding.  But if it is a very slow draw, I might not see that for a while and it may be masked by pad wear.

Still perplexed where all that fluid could have gone unless it did NOT start out full.

I did not see any place where the suspension seemed to be binding.  However, this is a gas system, and I do not know if the shocks can get "gas locked" if they travel to their max. like when the car is jacked up by the frame.  Over time the ride has return to normal.

TQ

I had the same suspension issue.  After few days mine also returned to normal.  Very odd.

Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to: