Saturn Outlook Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I could have had the tranny rebuilt but for another $200 I can have a new one installed. The rebuild would give me a 12 month 12K warrenty, where as the new one will give me a 3 year 100k warrenty.

I am certianly not happy about the repair bill. If my situation were different right now I would install a new one myself and save all the money but it would not be able to happen right now. Unfortnally I just have to buck up and pay them to do it. I shoudl have the truck back in a few days. Once they get the new tranny they told me it would only take about a day to install it.

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
252 Posts
curry391: where are you located?

I am just wondering because people have reported the tranny repair to cost about $2000-2500 and your charged was considerable more, but I do understand the inability to shop around due to the nature of the repair.

·
Registered
396 Posts
A tranny swap on this vehicle is almost impossible as a DIY project; the engine needs to be dropped prior to changing out the tranny. I imagine you MIGHT be able to remove just the tranny, but it would be a real PITA ;D

·
Registered
396 Posts
I did a tranny swap on a 1988 Grand Caravan in a buddy's garage and I swore that I'd never do that again. I can only imagine that this is far worse, even if you can avoid dropping the entire drive train.

Now, if I had a lift and plenty of space, maybe, but I don't. In fact, I imagine that the way GM designs these vehicles to be assembled in modules, as we saw when we toured the plant, dropping the engine and trans together may make things easier. Without a lift, however, it's going to be nearly impossible.

Frankyl, $3,600 for a new trans is fairly cheap, implying that the labor costs are below average.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Renewing an old topic I have some insight to this we have a 08 ford edge with 70k miles which has the same trans as our 07 outlook but they shift completely different. The trans in our outlook was replaced at 55k miles with a rebuilt model under warranty. Now could the problem with the outllok be because of the difference in the shift program?? The outlook is a little heavier and a little more horse power but with maintenance they should last nearly just as long as the one in the edge.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I am happy to look into this for you; what specific details are your seeking the part numbers for? I apologize for my confusion on this.

Michelle, GM Customer Service

21 - 27 of 27 Posts