Saturn Outlook Forum banner

'07 Outlook water leaking from lights and driver's side pillar

18K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Pf 
#1 ·
We bought a '07 Outlook last year and have experienced water leaks over the winter. (Wish I'd found this board BEFORE buying the vehicle). Anyone know roughly what it should cost to take to a GM dealer and have them find/fix the leak(s)?? We live in the mid-Atlantic area, so while it did rain some over the winter, it's going to get worse over the next several months. Again, just looking at "ballpark" costs. Thanks in advance for the help!

#6 ·
You may be able to unclog them without removing the headliner. I think that thread they talk about how to clean out the drain tubes as well.

Do you know if yours had the recall work done to extend the drain tubes?

#7 ·
I think I have read around $300.00 for the dealer to work on it if it needs more than just the drains being cleared out. Search the various boards, there was a father whose daughter bought a used one and it leaked. That is where I think I read the $300.00.

If you've done any searching already, you may know that the earlier models were built with too short of tubes, and became disconnected. GM at one time had a "recall" but I'm sure that has expired. If the previous owner didn't experience the leaks for what ever reason, yours might not have been repaired if it is one of the ones affected.

#10 ·
bosoxfan said:
Thanks, that may be the case. I'm not wanting to do a lot of removing interior parts. Would rather leave it to the professionals. ;D Anyone taken theirs in recently for this to a dealer? If so, how much does it run?
I would return the vehicle if possible. I have the same vehicle since 2010. the front windshield has been replaced, the drain tubes replaced cleaned and recommended GM service bulletin work done. The vehicle still leaks from the rear interior light, the pillars and under dash. There is now a mold smell. It has been back to the dealer several times. I would have to dish out lots of money for the dealer to repair what appears to be a vehicle defect. the sunroof and the moonroof leak. This reminds me of a GM problem with the Buick T-type / Grand Nationals t-tops leaking do to the body of the vehicle twisting (structural problem). But I must say these where muscle cars putting out some horsepower for their time. However, the saturn AWD is a heavy vehicle.
I recommend you park the vehicle under shelter or in a garage on rainy days, stay away from the car wash and wash it by hand. Good Luck !

#12 ·
I have the same problem- my son got drenched during the past storm! I am extremely concerned about mold and mildew next.

I filed a complaint tonight (3/30/14). If we ALL FILE COMPLAINTS something may get done. It worked for the Ford Windstar suspension to get recalled 3 years ago- I even got my money back for welding I had gotten done to attempt to fix the problem myself!

Here is their response;
Thank you for filing your safety-related complaint via our Web site or our Vehicle Safety Hotline. The ODI Number listed below will be a direct link to your complaint as soon as it is ready to view. Please allow at least two business days for approval and processing before trying to view your complaint online. You will then be able to view it and search any associated documents.

Your Confirmation number (ODI Number) is: 10575738
Your complaint information will be entered into the NHTSA vehicle owner complaint database. NHTSA technical staff review this information to identify potential safety problems. While you may or may not be contacted by a NHTSA investigator to clarify the information submitted, all reports are reviewed and analyzed for potential defects trends. Also, the NHTSA complaint database provides valuable information to other consumers and to manufacturers.

If you have any questions regarding this complaint, please contact ODI:

By phone: 1-888-327-4236 Monday-Friday, 8:00AM to 8:00PM Eastern
TTY: 1-888-424-9153
Have your ODI Number available.
(Spanish-speaking operators available)

Indicate your ODI Number in the contact form.
Thank you,

Office of Defects Investigation (ODI)
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT)

#13 ·
Had the same issue with our 09 XR that didn't show until last winter when the vehicle was left outside in a couple of snow and rain storms. Finally in July, we noticed the problem developing. Turned out it was a leak in a body seam behind the driver's side tail light. I tore all the seats and carpet out to dry it out. There was some mold developing, but got it cleaned up and dried out. Was a LOT of work. Didn't really notice the build up of water on the floorboard due to we have the fancy molded floor mats. Finally, the battery compartment got so wet and full of water (it's located inside the cabin, passenger side, behind the front passenger seat!) that it caused a driver warning light to come on, and the fix was to clean the corrosion off the battery terminals and half-ass wipe the water off the battery. After the service was performed, I took a look in the battery compartment myself, and found about 2 inches of water still standing around the battery! I tried to find the leak myself, referencing info from this forum, checking for water inside the blower motor cover under the passenger side dash, (it was fine!) and by isolating the front and rear of the car with tarps and a water hose, and deduced it was in the back only, but was unsuccessful at narrowing it to the light, only to the drivers side rear pillar area by the tailgate. (I could see water running down the bottom of the pillar into the spare tire area) No need for sunroof drain tube cleaning or re-routing on this one.

Result: GM repair seam behind tail light $237. And I got to reinstall all the dried carpet, interior trim molding, and seats.

Been fine since. Fortunately, we didn't get any water damage in the driver's side, or in any electronics on the passenger side.

Purchased with only 5,000 miles on it in 09, still driving it, with 86K on her now. Still love the vehicle, best thing I've ever driven as far as style comfort, and utility. Have had other items repaired as well, but for another thread. Running good now.

#15 ·
my 07 Saturn spent 9 months in and out of the dealer during 2014. Saturn authorized the repair since I had the service bulletin about sunroof tubes being clogged "fixed" back in 08. Saturn authorized the repair for free so I got the local chevy dealer to work on the car and I got courtesy rentals - 8 courtesy rentals. Eventually, after many many many failed attempts involving changing sunroof gaskets and glass and tubes.. it turned out to be an unused factory drilled hole in the top of the outlook. They filled it with whatever, and I have no problems now (knock on wood!!) Important to note, the roof only leaked while driving due to the airflow design.... the shop hoses didn't make it leak...

My issues bringing me here today at p0171 and p0174 Fuel trim system lean banks 1 & 2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.