Saturn Outlook Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for advice...

07 XR AWD in trouble.

After about 15 minutes of driving the other day, my wife's car lit up with oil pressure / service engine soon / Stabilitrak off warnings. The engine started running with reduced power. Then she got a "turn/shut off engine". She pulled over and let the car rest. When restarted she said there was a "rattle" in the engine. Luckily she was near a Buick dealer and pulled in. Codes came back that it was a "cam balance" problem. Tech said that a software upgrade fixes the the problem most of the time. They did that.

I picked the car up on Saturday and didn't even make it a mile before I had the same errors but this time the car powered down like it was an electrical problem. Only this time I was not able to start it again. I had it towed back to the shop. Shop said there is still a cam problem and I probably need shims but the oil pressure problem is something bigger that they won't know until the pull the engine.

What am I looking at here? They want $2,500 to pull the motor and check the oil pump and then said the repairs (depending on the severity) wil be $1,000 to $4,000 more. I feel like there has to be something easier to try before dumping all kind of money into it for troubleshooting.... Any thoughts?

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am an owner. I have it at a Buick dealer.

The Tech says I have 2 problems with the car and insists neither of which have anything to do with the timing chain. The first is a cam problem which needs shims? The second and more worrisome is there is low oil pressure. They are telling me the only way to diagnose the problem is a tear down that will cost me $2500. The car only has 55.6K miles on it with regular 3K mile oil changes. He thinks the engine is blown and I'm going to need a full rebuild. Again he insists the timing chain would not have any impact on either issue. GM is going to hear from me if that is the case.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.