Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang.

Have a 2009 XR AWD, did not do rotations as I should have & now the front tires need to be replaced immediately & the rear ones are about 1/2 way there for replacement.

2 schools of thought.

I would rather replace 2 right now due to cash flow, but if have to replace 4, so be it.

I just need to know once & for all, with this model, since all of my notes here are with like older Subaru's & 4WD's, those state to replace all 4. Then I see no need to replace all 4 in regards to other chatter. My mechanic even states to replace 4

I can replace the others in the next few months easier than now, so if can just do 2, would be great!

So, I need to know if I only do 2, will it kill the driveline or ???????

Thanks!

Dale

·
Registered
754 Posts
Another concern is Stabilitrack may activate--
the reason being that if the new tires are significantly bigger (thicker tread) then the tires can rotate at different speeds--and stabilitrack may think wheel slippage is occuring and activate.
I have read about this on other GM's where an owner did exactly what youre thinking of doing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rbarrios said:
Another concern is Stabilitrack may activate--
the reason being that if the new tires are significantly bigger (thicker tread) then the tires can rotate at different speeds--and stabilitrack may think wheel slippage is occuring and activate.
I have read about this on other GM's where an owner did exactly what youre thinking of doing.
Thanks for the reply. Going with 4 tires. Just surprised it is not acting up now cause like the fronts are lick slicks & the rears have bout 1/2 tread on them.

Next question is then, looking at maybe moving from the 255 series to like a 265 series tire, sticking with the 60 or 65 version as well there, not 70, to thin in my mind. Any issues other than maybe the speedo might be off?

Thanks again for the time in responding. Want a decent tire but as well, trying not to destroy my emergency fund! :eek:/

Dale

·
Registered
252 Posts
Check over on the Acadia forum. There is pages and pages of talk about this. There is also some talk about tire prices, with a different size being much cheaper than the factory size.

As for the speedo being off, it won't be off by that much. It is gonna depend on the outside circumference, which may be the same for a different width.

·
Registered
754 Posts
medic is right... click on the Acadia, Traverse, Enclave forum.... especially the Acadia forum. (upper right corner of this page has the quick links)...
theres threads over there on several tires that theyve been using

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rbarrios said:
medic is right... click on the Acadia, Traverse, Enclave forum.... especially the Acadia forum. (upper right corner of this page has the quick links)...
theres threads over there on several tires that theyve been using
Thanks for the tips!

Dale

·
Registered
161 Posts
I do a lot of work with local GM dealer and they said changing 2 (same axel) should be fine as long as it is the same exact tire. I beg to differ on this because I've seen it where for some reason even the same tire with different manufacture dates can be off in overall height. Back in college I use to sell tires and we ran into a problem on an AWD Mercedes and couldn't figure it out until we measured out the tires. Places that are really into tires will be able to find out the exact overall height of the tire. If you go to tirerack.com if I remember correctly will show this. A few years ago I needed a special sized tire but found different manufactures posted different actual sizes from their advertised sizes.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I would get all 4 done.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Had to make a similar painful on the wallet decision this week....ran over a bag of screws and had 7 in one tire, making it un-patchable.

Decided to bite the bullet and replace all four since they were down to 5/32" tread remaining.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts