Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NOTE: this is not a negative rant about the Outlook because I am very satisfied with the vehicle even though what I am about to tell you would normally drive me out of my mind.

So.....Just wanted to reach out to other owners on this topic t osee if there have been similar issues. I have an 07 Outlook XE AWD. I bought it for my wife and our newborn (one more on the way too...). It was the best automobile purchase I have ever made. The vehicle is stable, has power, has comfort and the standard packages were amazing compared to the competition. About 2 months into ownership I started hearing a really loud tapping sound from the engine compartment. It sounded like a pencil tapping on the desk about 5 times a second. I put service off on the noise because engine performance did not seem compromised and it was more of a nuisance. So finally when my wife mentioned that she needed an oil change, I set up an apppointment for the oil change and for them to look into the tapping sound. We got our rental (free because of warranty) and expected to see the car back in a day.

It has been 37 days since I last saw my Outlook. The service manager has been awesome in keeping us up to date on a daily basis on all of the things they have been doing to the vehicle to find out about the noise. Essentially they pulled everything apart to find this noise. They have been in contact with GM engineers all along the way. GM has asked them to perform a number of repalcements/tests on the engine - literally too many to list. Again, all the time the service manager has been in contact with us. Just when the sound was gone, the check engine light came on. So they looked into that and from what they saw from that code, they had to dig into the engine again and found out that one of the timing shafts were cracked. So a replacement was ordered. Still the engine light came on. Service says that the engine seems to be running smooth but they will not send me home with an engine light on. Agreed. So today I got a call saying that GM has basically given up on the issue and has sent them a new engine to replace the existing engine (again the orignal engine was performing optimally to my knowlege). WOW! I was shocked that they went this far. I am totally ok with the replacement and look forward to seeing my vehicle again in a few days.

I want to share this story and also give kudos to the guys at the dealership because without their constant contact I would be one really pissed off dude.

The dealership who is performing the service is located in Allentown, PA. Saturn of the Valley. Service manager's name is LARRY (edited: was Steve). If they or someone from GM/Saturn are reading this I want them to know that these guys are totally top notch. I have been in bad experiences with service before and this was an unexpected suprise to find a service department who actually communicates and explains everything. Granted, usually I would have been very angry at this situation but because they are taking such great care of us, we are very very happy.

Not to mention that if the wife is happy, Bruce is happy..... Thanks to the guys over at Saturn of the Valley in Allentown, PA.

I guess the question is ..... I wonder if with a new engine, does the odometer go back to 0 miles????

Regards, Bruce

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sounds like quite the ordeal, but it is SO nice to hear from someone that not only likes their vehicle a lot but ALSO has a responsive dealer and isn't jumping to the conclusions of "I should have known not to buy...".

Hopefully this all works out well, with as much as they've clearly learned taking it all apart, just doing a clean swap of the engine shouldn't be too bad.

So, WELCOME, and thanks so much for having such a pleasant reaction to a problem that could happen to anyone with any vehicle. Knock on wood, your Outlook will be back and perfect very soon :thumb:

·
Registered
13 Posts
brucecris said:
I guess the question is ..... I wonder if with a new engine, does the odometer go back to 0 miles????

Regards, Bruce
No the odometer will NOT be rolled back to 0. ;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
DaleJr said:
No the odometer will NOT be rolled back to 0. ;)
Yes...I missed that. Mileage is more than just what is on the engine (there is, sort of, the whole rest of the car that gets used ;) ), so a replacement engine has no effect on that. Just like adding a new part to fix an old or broken one on any vehicle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
brucecris,
I am glad to hear that things are being resolved to your satisfaction.
I have said it before, and will repeat it now "I am buying the dealer as much as the brand". In my case it was Buick, but the same applies to you.
Good Luck :thumb:

MRBUICK

·
Registered
3 Posts
I certainly give the OP credit for patience, and I'm glad that everything is working out to his satisfaction. However, if this were me, I would've lemoned the car and got a new one. 37 consecutive days in the shop? Not on my dime.

Anyway, good luck to him and I hope his Outlook gives him many years/miles of safe driving.

Regards,
Adam

·
Registered
51 Posts
This scares me. I think I hear that noise in my engine. Hopefully not the same issue, we'll see next time it is in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Glad to hear it worked out. Three things struck me though.....

1) You got a NEW engine ..... many manufacturers will stick you with a rebuilt engine...
2) Your dealer called you and kept you up to date.... the same can't be said about Chevrolet (another story for another time)
3) They gave you a loaner vehicle..... Many manufacturers would try to get you to pick up the cost of a loaner.

Some argue Saturn has changed, is like every other company now etc. The three things above demonstrate to me that your dealer (and GM) stepped up to make sure you are a happy camper. Glad to see Saturn still has dealers out there who care about customer satisfaction.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Wow, it's great to hear they took care of you like that! Thanks for sharing your story. Please let us know how the new engine performs once you get it back. You may very well be the first lambda owner with a total engine replacement... at least on the forums.

Montreal - regarding your first point. These engines are so new, there probably aren't any rebuilt ones out there yet. They can't even make the fast enough to fill new orders! Someone's order probably got delayed another week so that brucecris could have a replacement engine ;)

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Would'nt it be nice if GM gave you some extra goodies for all your trouble?, like free oil changes for life or a good sized discount on your next GM vehicle?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE: 2007 Outlook - Complete engine replacement!

UPDATE! Ok, so I got the Outlook back last Friday Feb 8th. My wife was kind enough to get us tickets to the Blue Man Group in Philly that night so we thought that it would be great to take the Outlook. So she picks up the car from Saturn and off we go....

Murphys Law. Knocking sound from the tranny and engine area. Doesn't that figure. It worsened as we drove but we were not turning back. Also noticed some throttle lag and a whishing sound. Saw the show, came back out and started it up - engine had a hard time idling. Longstoryshort, I took it to the dealer the next day - got a warranty rental and left. Larry called me Monday stating that the computer is telling them that there is no back pressure on the engine and as a result 'the book' (or whatever) recommends they replace both catalytic converters (didnt know I had two). I asked if this could be a by-product of engine replacement....he honestly said that he can't tell. Common sense tells me otherwise.

So guys, we continue to persevere. Still satisfied with the customer service from Larry.....but I am looking at my options though at this point...

1. I've never heard of factory discounts because of problem cars - if you have...please do tell who I need to contact.
2. Seriously considering lemon law. Love this car but to many things wrong.

If you anyone is interested, Ill keep you guys up to date.

Thanks again. - Bruce

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
How many miles are on the Outlook (when it first started and when the engine finally was replaced)?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: UPDATE: 2007 Outlook - Complete engine replacement!

Just got a huge book of papers about what they did to the vehicle the last time it was in. Ill try to scan them and post them. Some of your guys will really enjoy how candid they were.... lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts