Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I'm new here and have a few questions about our family hauler .

We purchased our XR AWD with 100k about 4 months ago, we've already put on 8k and it's been great for us it replaced a complete pita 03 Mercury Mountaineer that was nothing but problems .We had the XR in for an inspection and they said the brakes need to be replaced ( taken care of ) and the rear lift gate had been giving us issues so we had them replace the touch pad which it now is working great. The only issue left to our knowledge is the rear control arms (GM Part number 23347602/23347603 ) . We were quoted $900 or less by the dealership which includes an alignment , and we were quoted just shy of $1200 (best case scenario) by a local shop . Parsons of Eagle River Wi, is where we took the vehicle in and they charge $100hr the shop charges $80 . After sitting on the phone with Parsons they told us it would take them just shy of 1.5hrs to complete the repair while the local shop is charging over double that .

My question is if anyone has done this repair or has had this repair done , what did it cost you, and if you used other parts that weren't GM what did you use and please include a part number or link . I would love to save money and it would help us as it's our family vehicle but it has to be a smart way to save . I've purchased aftermarket parts before and I've had a hit and miss type of outcome so i tend to do a lot of research before i purchase anything . I would really like some options here becuase that difference in charges is a bit concerning to me not to mention online I'm seeing them go from 60-250 if i can get GM parts or a great alternative for a cheaper price that would be great for us . The price they both quoted us is for the entire job including the clips, cams, cam bolts, nuts and so forth .

thank you in advanced

Tmugz

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll have to see, if it is only a 1.2hr job according to a dealership I can't imagine it being that difficult but im no mechanic so that is where I find myself at a bit of a "crossroad" so to speak. I'll take a look and see what it's like and maybe collect the parts but I think with the limit of time I have to dedicate to repairs that large I may bring it in just want to know what would be the best option for us before we go ahead and do anything .

Tmugz

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the delay with this reply been really busy, but they stated at two different shops that both rears are loose and they need to be replaced . At 109k I can expect them to be bad , I am going to have it done at a shop with my time I just don't have the time to really dedicate to such a repair and I honestly don't have the knowledge to take it on blindly . Can someone direct me to the correct parts I need so I may be able to save me some money with purchasing good GM parts or good aftermarket parts that will last us . We intend on keeping the Outlook it's been nothing but good for us for the first 10k we've owned it and with a history on it since 25k I honestly would prefer to keep it on the road. A local dealership quoted us just shy of $950 out the door with a 4wheel alignment the shop we took it to recently quoted us over $1200 and claims to have gotten prices from the same dealership so I'm confused but also looking at saving money.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts