Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three days before Christmas, my transmission goes out. Well didn't know that was the problem at first. Took it to my mechanic as it was out of bumper to bumper warranty. Code said it was transmission so we had it towed again to the transmission shop. He pulled up my VIN and it said I was only covered to 50,000. Now, I needed my car so I had him replace the transmission. The transmission was purchased through GM dealer and it is a certified GM transmission. Shouldn't this be covered by my powertrain warranty? I had to pay $3400 for this transmission on something that should have been covered under my powertrain. Any suggestions???? While at the transmission shop I was told that he has had several Saturn's in there recently all with similar mileage. I love my Saturn but have had issues with it since they replaced my timing chain under the recall....seems to be one thing after another. I know the transmission is totally separate from my motor so has nothing to do with the timing chain issue but I just feel like a 4 year old car should not have these issues. I use to think I could drive my car to well over 100,000 but I am having second thoughts. We have been loyal GM customers for the last 25+ years but I am starting to question our future commitment.

·
Registered
754 Posts
yeah it should be under the powertrain...

I think the problem may be that you had someone else do the repair-- even if you bought it from a dealer.

Its possible that the most youll get- is a partial refund......

I hope you are reimbursed-- but you may have been better off taking it straight to dealer...

Unless theres something I dont know about 07's... the trans should be covered under the 5 yr/100,000 powertrain...
unless youve already passed the 5 yr?

Buicks have a 50,000 bumper to bumper. and 100K powertrain.
the others hav 36,000 bumper to bumper and 100K powertrain

·
Registered
252 Posts
Very well could have been exhausted out (my MY07 Acadia runs out in March), but it also could have been a greedy mechanic trying to pull a wool over his eyes.

If send a PM to the customer service gal with the last 8 of your VIN she can tell you more information about your warranty inservice date and then you can go from there is the coverage was active at the time of the repair.

·
Registered
353 Posts
@carmor, I have read your post about your situation with Outlook. If you would like to send me a private message with the VIN of your vehicle, I would be happy to research the warranty information for you.

Michelle, GM Customer Service

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently bought a 2008 Outlook FWD. The transmission went at 42,000 miles. The service guy at my dealership said he's done about twenty of these. The Edmunds forum has lots of peeps complaining about the tranny.

I've heard that the car is too heavy and the engine not powerful enough, and the tranny can't handle it.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
DimOutlook said:
I recently bought a 2008 Outlook FWD. The transmission went at 42,000 miles. The service guy at my dealership said he's done about twenty of these. The Edmunds forum has lots of peeps complaining about the tranny.

I've heard that the car is too heavy and the engine not powerful enough, and the tranny can't handle it.
Well at least he knows what he's doing when he is rebuilding yours and when you get it back it'll be better than new :thumb:

·
Registered
9 Posts
My waveplate went out at about 60k. I asked the dealer, who repaired it under warranty, if they've seen this a lot and they indicated "yes". But he said once it's repaired, they hold up. I'm not sure how much I buy that though.

·
Registered
754 Posts
hozer said:
My waveplate went out at about 60k. I asked the dealer, who repaired it under warranty, if they've seen this a lot and they indicated "yes". But he said once it's repaired, they hold up. I'm not sure how much I buy that though.
they are using new updated parts.

There was a bulleting- that if a trans came in- and had to be taken apart-- to replace the wave plate while it was apart (with the new updated part).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts