Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so frustrated with my 2008 Saturn Outlook and I just do not know what to do anymore. I really love this vehicle, but we have put so much money into it over the last year and the problems keep on coming. The latest was replacing the back roters and brake pads, which is to be expected on a 5 year old vehicle with nearly 60K miles on it. However, having to spend $427 to replace the stabilizer links and fix the windshield wipers last week was not so expected.

Onto the leaking issue. About a month ago I noticed that occasionally water would leak from under the dash on the front passenger side when we'd take a corner. We'd gotten a large amount of rain recently and originally we did not think much of it. However, as of the last two weeks the driver's side floor mat has been getting wetter and wetter. I can't even tell where it is leaking from and I have not seen any visible leaks. I've taken the mat out twice and let it dry, but then the carpet under the mat gets soaked, and not long after putting the mat back in it is wet. As of today the mat is not only visibly wet, but when I push on it water pools up.

I've been searching the internet and it seems like this is a very common problem in 2008 Saturns! We cannot afford to put more money into this vehicle right now and if we did not still owe money on it I'd trade it in. I do not know what to do. Does anyone have any idea what is causing these leaking issues? Our Outlook does not have a sunroof, FYI, so there is no water leaking in from there. The water seems to be coming in from somewhere under the dash on both sides, although the problem is worse on the drivers side.

The other issue is that there is a weird noise happening when we take a left turn. It is sort of a squealing noise, but it almost sounds like sand or something. It is an odd noise that is hard to describe. When we took our Outlook to our mechanic last week it was because of this noise, and that is when the stabilizer links problem was discovered. Our mechanic thought that links problem might be causing the squealing noise, because they could not find a problem with the drive shaft, but the link replacement did not fix the noise. FURTHER, the check engine light has been coming on periodically for about two months and we still have to get it in to do the diagnostic check on the engine, but with all of the other problems we haven't been able to afford to do that yet.

I can't help but wonder though, especially after searching for information about the water leaking issue, if the steering noise and the check engine light being on is related to the water problem?

Does anyone have any advice, particularly about the water issue and the steering noise?

·
Registered
754 Posts
what was wrong with the rear brake pads and rotors at 60,000?
Rust?

I have a 2003 Trailblazer with 170,000- and the rear pads and rotors are factory...

I also have 2010 Traverse (pretty much the same as your Outlook) with 65,000 and the rotors are fine- and pads are super thick?

Its possible water is pooling on your blower motor. its easy to remove this cover..
Do a search on the forum for this- Also look on the Acadia,Enclave,Traverse for info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know, the pads were gone and the brakes were grinding. According to our mechanic we only have about 40% of our front brake pads left too.

Thanks for the suggestion of looking at the blower motor. I will check into it. There was water pouring out from under the dash on the passenger side today, leaving the floor soaked. I'd love to figure out what is going on before my carpet is permanently damaged.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
They had to remove the trim piece the cowl area to access the seams. I did not go over and look but it seems that's the only access point.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts