Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife comes home from work the other day and complains that the car never cooled down on the ride home. I start it up and hot air is coming out of the vents so I pop the hood. I can hear the compressor short cycling, I put a set of gauges on it it and it is shutting down because of high pressure, I am guessing something isn't opening in the lines so I make an appointment, we have to wait until Monday morning to drop it off at the Cadillac dealer that handles Saturns. This morning I start the car to check it out and same problem, short cycling but cooler air is blowing out of the driver side and really hot air out of the passenger side. Now the car has only been running a minute or two so there is no way the engine is hot enough to blow heat, I am guessing there is a reversing valve gone wrong and the AC is producing heat, like a house heat pump? Just grasping at straws since I am not a mechanic. Any ideas out there?

·
Registered
754 Posts
read up on the blend door actuators.
One of those could be in the wrong position.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What the dealer came up with it was 1 1/2 lbs. low in Freon. They claimed they vacuumed it down and held so it isn't leaking. I find it hard to believe, I install home AC and know that Freon just doesn't disappear. What I know is it's working, but has a strange odor out of the vents.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2008. Twice I had to have the system recharged. They added a dye to it both times but no leak found.
Tim C.

doropallo said:
What the dealer came up with it was 1 1/2 lbs. low in Freon. They claimed they vacuumed it down and held so it isn't leaking.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TSC1969 said:
I had the same issue with my 2008. Twice I had to have the system recharged. They added a dye to it both times but no leak found.
Tim C.
Thanks, knowing that I will keep an eye on the pressure and top it off as necessary. Car AC leaks are hard to find, especially slow ones. Hope it holds for a little while longer, we are thinking of getting rid of the Outlook and picking up an Acura, either the probably the MDX, a little shorter and more reliable.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it doesn't seem the fix will last a month, the AC is acting up again. Just like I thought, the dealer performed a crappy job, if a system is down 1 1/2 lbs it has to have leaked out somewhere. AC system is a closed one. Why is it so hard to find a competent repair shop that actually takes pride in their work and gets the job done right?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2010 A/C did the same thing- turned out to be the evaporator core had a leak. Dash & front seats had to come out to replace it. Luckily, I'd bought the extended warranty so I was only out $100 and 4 days @ the dealer. My dealer did a great job-even fixed an annoying squeak in the radio surround I hadn't told them about! That said, I think the total bill would have been around $2k without that warranty :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2008 XR as well. The A/C had not been cooling well this year. It would cool okay when outside was cooler, but not when it was 90+. Rear was worse than the front. I put a gauge on it and that seemed to show it was in the 'okay' range. I took it to the Chevy dealer that has worked on it since Saturn closed. They ended up replacing the compressor and so far the problem is solved. I have a GMPP with $100 deductible that runs until August 17th. I have probably gotten back double what I paid for it, would have been more but several issues were covered under recall or TSB (lights). The peace of mind alone was worth the $1100 I paid for it. I like these well enough that I bought a 2015 Traverse two months ago.

Bill

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up putting in a can of AC Pro with sealer and a half can with Max Seal and it's fine. Also as a bonus the smell coming out of the vents is gone. Not happy with authorized service and not happy I didn't get a survey.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts