Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there really no way to find out how many miles per gallon your getting on the 2008 XR? It seems like all the cars out there anymore calculate it for you and the information is there at the touch of a button. Am I missing something?? If it's truly not there... how do I calculate that information? We are driving from MI to SC next week and would like to calculate gas miliage before the trip.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I always like to use the same gas station-- and the same pump--- that way when the pump AUTO shuts off--- its the same pump and it should shut off at the same point.

How to Calculate MPG

1- gas up. Let the pump auto shut off preferably.
2- Write down the current ODOMETER reading OR reset TRIP A to 0.
3- (You may also want to write down how much gas you just spen- and how many gal to fill up).
4- Drive.

Lets say you gassed up on Sunday- Odometer read 60,000. Trip A reset to 0.
You drive for 1 week.
The following Sunday- youre now at 60,300 and Trip A shows 300.
you return to the same gas pump.
You beging to gas up.... and you let the pump auto shut off.
You write down the number of gallons of gas it took to fill up/auto shut off... Lets say the pump shows 15.7 gallons.

To get the MPG--
you take the 300 miles you drove- and divide it by the 15.7 gallons it took to fill up.
300/15.7 = 19.10 --- so for the previous tank of gas-- you averaged 19.1 MPG.

When you go on your trip-- you may get slightly different MPG numbers because the Pumps auto shut off at different points... some may pump more or less fuel.. slightly skewing your MPG numbers.

But it should give you a good idea of your MPGs.

Just go on your trip- fill up at a station- reset trip A meter--- drive.
reach another gas station- gas up till it auto shuts off-- and calculate the numbers.

·
Registered
754 Posts
by the way--
once you have a good idea of what your XR gets for highway miles.. you can calculate your approximate cost.

lets say-- youve calculated that on the highway-- you can get 24 MPG... if you drive all highway on a trip.

I dont know the distance from MI to SC..... but lets say its 850 miles....

You want to know how much cash you need to bring to pay for gas....

850 miles- 1 way distance.
24 MPG--- the MPG you think you can get.

850 miles/24 MPG = 35.4 gallons of gas that you will need to make the trip.

I dont know what gas cost out there by your...
But here in California-- gas is about $4.20 a gallon right now... ill use this number...

35.4 gallons * $4.20 per gallon = $148.75 in cash to pay for fuel.

Now if youre going to also drive back home--- you simply multiply that by 2.

$148.75 * 2 =$297.50 or roughly $300.

Of course these numbers are examples.
Plug in your values.

·
Registered
155 Posts
If you have an XR, the Fuel Economy is available at the touch of a button via the Drivers Information Centre (DIC).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Check out a web page called gas buddy.com they help plot your trip and fuel cost when you put in the make model and destion and starting points of the trip. They also plot your gas stops along the route. Happy trails!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
3 Posts
granpasbluigrl said:
Is there really no way to find out how many miles per gallon your getting on the 2008 XR? It seems like all the cars out there anymore calculate it for you and the information is there at the touch of a button. Am I missing something?? If it's truly not there... how do I calculate that information? We are driving from MI to SC next week and would like to calculate gas miliage before the trip.
I use fueleconomy.gov they have the information on calculation and you can track you fuel purchases as well as see the results that others are getting. I'm actually finding that my Outlook is getting better fuel economy than my Mazda CX-7 that I traded in. Also I found that the tires are a little shorter so I'm getting inacurate MPH read out and possibly a little less fuel economy as It is meant to have a 255/60/19 and when I purchased it there are 255/55/19.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts