Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

For about a year my 2009 Saturn Outlook (76,000 miles) has been slightly jerking or sputtering (tough to describe) right at 60MPH when cruising on flat highway. It seems to be slightly more pronounced when traveling up an incline. I have combed through the forums looking for help.

There are no codes showing. It appears plugs are good through 100K miles and since it only occurs at this speed it seems doubtful it could be plugs or coils?

I did buy a fuel injector cleaner yesterday, although that also seems like a stretch to fix the problem. The car has no other symptoms that would lead me to believe its a tranny issue.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Treehouse

·
Registered
131 Posts
Don't assume a misfiring condition always causes a check engine light. At 60 mph, the rpms are low and the engine load is high, which results in any misfiring causing the bucking condition.

My recommendation is to replace ALL the coils and the spark plugs. In reality, you may have one cylinder misfiring, however, since all the original coils and plugs have seen the same conditions, odds are good when you replace only one, another one will be soon to follow (failing).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Treehouse I would advise you change the plugs, in my '08 I did mine at about the same miles and the plugs were ugly!
Running a lot smoother even uphill, just my 2cents ;D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for advice - - is this the time of job I could do by myself or would you recommend taking it to shop?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Treehouse said:
Thanks for advice - - is this the time of job I could do by myself or would you recommend taking it to shop?
The intake manifold has to be removed. Other than that, it's a straight-forward parts replacement. I'll included screenshots of the Service Manual for the removal/installation process:

·
Registered
45 Posts
You could get away with removing just the upper intake manifold, correct? Either way, the gaskets are sold as a kit with all three. I think the cost at my local stealer was like $23 or $24...

I would guess it is a three hour job, give or take. The upper manifold is a b to get back on, the bolts are so long.

·
Registered
131 Posts
h2oskierc said:
You could get away with removing just the upper intake manifold, correct? Either way, the gaskets are sold as a kit with all three. I think the cost at my local stealer was like $23 or $24...

I would guess it is a three hour job, give or take. The upper manifold is a b to get back on, the bolts are so long.
The OP and I have '09's with Direct Injection - the intake manifold is different than the '07 & '08s, which I believe you are referring to...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Oh yes, you are correct. I was forgetting about the changes from 08 to 09...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts