Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Saturn Outlook XE with 92,000 miles that had the engine replaced earlier in the month under warranty. A week later the car breaks down and I have it towed to the dealer to find out that one of the engine mounts broke. The dealer advised the repair is $300 and it’s not under warranty since it’s not a lubricated part. I call GM Saturn Customer Service and the staff advised that the engine mount is part of the powertrain warranty. I call the dealer today and advise them of what GM said – and they advise that the engine mount is not under warranty. I call GM today and the customer service person cannot find engine mount under the warrantied or excluded from warranty portion. I’ve found several forums where the GM Customer Service Staff advised that engine mounts are under warranty but the GM phone staff can’t use that info. Any thoughts on what to do from here?
Thanks!
:banghead:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Copied from the link I posted after the copy and paste below

Powertrain Coverage

In addition to the 3-year/36,000 mile protection, many of your powertrain components are protected even further with coverage extending to 5 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Engine

Engine coverage includes all internally lubricated parts, engine oil cooling hoses, and lines. Also included are all actuators and electrical components internal to the engine (e.g., Active Fuel Management valve, lifter and oil manifold) cylinder head, block, timing gears, timing chain, timing cover, oil pump/oil pump housing, OHC carriers, valve covers, oil pan, seals, gaskets, manifolds, flywheel, water pump, harmonic balancer, engine mount, turbocharger, and supercharger. Timing belts are covered until the first scheduled maintenance interval. Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are sensors, wiring, connectors, engine radiator, coolant hoses, coolant, and heater core. Coverage on the engine cooling system begins at the inlet to the water pump and ends with the thermostat housing and/or outlet that attaches to the return hose. Also excluded is the starter motor, entire pressurized fuel system (in-tank fuel pump, pressure lines, fuel rail(s), regulator, injectors, and return line), as well as the Engine/ Powertrain Control Module and/or module programming.

The bold for the engine mount is mine. This is from the 2014 warranty, but I am sure GM has removed items covered, rather than added them. Your 2009 should defiantly have the engine mounts or motor motor mounts covered!

http://www.chevrolet.com/owners/warranty.html

The GM customer service adviser on these boards should be able to send you a copy from their "sources".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response!

The saga continues. Called GM Saturn customer service again got a different rep who said it is covered then called the dealership - and the dealership rep swears by "lubricated parts only" are warrantied. So we hang up with the dealer and fortunately the rep researches further and finds in the manual that the engine mounts are part of the powertrain. We'll see how this goes. I love GM Trucks but after this experience I'm buying the super extended warranty for any gm car I buy. :confused:

·
Registered
214 Posts
I hate it when the dealership doesn't even know (or doesn't care) what is or isn't covered by the warranty. Are they that uninformed, or are they trying to purposely overcharge owners?

It almost sounds like the repair of the engine caused the motor mount to break, and the dealer doesn't want to pay the bill for their mistake.

·
Registered
155 Posts
ls973800 said:
I hate it when the dealership doesn't even know (or doesn't care) what is or isn't covered by the warranty. Are they that uninformed, or are they trying to purposely overcharge owners?

It almost sounds like the repair of the engine caused the motor mount to break, and the dealer doesn't want to pay the bill for their mistake.
Exactly - I must say since I've been on this forum, I'm shocked by the number of crappy / shady dealers out there that seem to either be ignorant of the vehicles they service or are deliberately deceptive. Another item that GM needs to resolve.

Situation above seems bizarre as well - why is the customer pushed into the role of brokering between the dealer and GM on what is covered? IMO as soon as the customer called GM Customer service they should have handled everything from that point on.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hello ravens,

I am deeply sorry for your dissatisfaction due to your current situation. I understand your frustration and apologize for any inconvenience. I would like the opportunity to further discuss this with you and review your case. Please send me a private message that includes your full contact information and VIN. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So yesterday evening I spoke with someone at GM who found the info that says engine mounts are part of the warranty. He documents the info and then transfers me to the original person I spoke with on the 12th when the truck broke down. So she calls me today and asks me to explain the entire issue again and asks which dealer the car is at. She then asks me if I bought the car at that dealer - I wanted to say "It's a SATURN - there are no more SATURN DEALERS!!!!" Anyhow she's confused as to why I got social media involved and why I dealt with so many different people at GM Customer Service. So now she has to start the entire process again and has to call the dealer to see if the part is under warranty? I told her that the Service Advisor lives and dies by the first part of the engine warranty which states "all lubricated parts" are covered and the engine mount is not a lubricated part. This is after I asked if the engine mount is part of the warranty or not and she kept deferring the dealer as the eyes and ears. Meanwhile I have an invoice that says - Engine Mount Failed- Engine Mount Replaced. She was like the engine is clear cut part of the power train but who knows about the engine mounts. When I advised her that her colleague found documentation that advised the mount is under warranty - she asks me - What page is that on? What kind of ticketing system does GM use? I work at a high call volume Help Desk and I can easily pull up history and documents on tickets.

So now I have to wait until Monday for the Service Manager to call me to see if the part is under warranty or not. I'm still trying to figure out where I can find a legal printed copy of what the warranty entails.

·
Registered
155 Posts
ravens said:
So yesterday evening I spoke with someone at GM who found the info that says engine mounts are part of the warranty. He documents the info and then transfers me to the original person I spoke with on the 12th when the truck broke down. So she calls me today and asks me to explain the entire issue again and asks which dealer the car is at. She then asks me if I bought the car at that dealer - I wanted to say "It's a SATURN - there are no more SATURN DEALERS!!!!" Anyhow she's confused as to why I got social media involved and why I dealt with so many different people at GM Customer Service. So now she has to start the entire process again and has to call the dealer to see if the part is under warranty? I told her that the Service Advisor lives and dies by the first part of the engine warranty which states "all lubricated parts" are covered and the engine mount is not a lubricated part. This is after I asked if the engine mount is part of the warranty or not and she kept deferring the dealer as the eyes and ears. Meanwhile I have an invoice that says - Engine Mount Failed- Engine Mount Replaced. She was like the engine is clear cut part of the power train but who knows about the engine mounts. When I advised her that her colleague found documentation that advised the mount is under warranty - she asks me - What page is that on? What kind of ticketing system does GM use? I work at a high call volume Help Desk and I can easily pull up history and documents on tickets.

So now I have to wait until Monday for the Service Manager to call me to see if the part is under warranty or not. I'm still trying to figure out where I can find a legal printed copy of what the warranty entails.
So the madness continues. :( Sorry to hear that. Do you happen to have the warranty booklet in your glove box still? Alternatively if you don't - someone here in the forum with an Outlook of the same model year might be able to scan the booklet for you.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Good point Crash.

Don't surf here too often and stumbled onto this issue late tonight. I'll check my owner's manual in the a.m. and post up what I find. Seems to me the dealership is "hardheaded" on this point.

Regards,

Jim
In God We Trust!

·
Registered
161 Posts
It's as plain as the nose on your face. I'm providing a link to my photobucket where I have scanned the front page of one of the booklets I received when I took delivery of my '09 Saturn Outlook:

Here's that booklet entitled "2009 SATURN LIMITED WARRANTY AND OWNER ASSISTANCE INFORMATION"

Page 4 reads in part: "manifolds, flywheel, water pump, harmonic balancer, engine mount"

Good luck!

:cheers:

Jim
In God We Trust!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts