Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

Haven't posted here in awhile. Original owner of an '09 Saturn Outlook XR. Have gone through the normal maintenance of a vehicle with nearly 72K miles on her (Battery, tires and front brakes).

This past week I noticed the Daytime Running Light on the driver's side was burned out. All that I've read in searches here say to access the bulbs you unscrew the inner fender panel, pull away and they are right there. I took a good look at the engine compartment before resorting to the inner fender panel.

Here's a series of photos I took that shows you can access these bulbs from above by utilizing the space between the air cleaner housing and front support. This accessibility is snug but dooable. On the passenger you can reach in alongside the fuse box to do the same. Mine was out on the driver's side.

Further, my Saturn has the factory HID lighting system.

To remove the DRL bulb...Once I reached in I

1. Unscrewed the 3" saucer housing cover (lefty loosey, righty tighty, LOL)...more like a counter clockwise slight twist. This cover has a rubber ring on the inside edge to keep water/moisture out...don't lose it.

2. Grabbed the base plastic housing of the harness at the back of the bulb and again twisted counter clockwise to remove it .

3. Disconnected the bulb plastic housing from the harness housing (pulls apart).

The GM Part # for this clear DRL bulb is 10351677. Initially the parts man at the local Chevy dealer said the bulb call out for my vehicle is amber...that GM Part # is 10351679. When I showed him the original bulb I had removed, he did a further search and realized the clear is the 77 #. $19.00 + the government later (crazy huh!), I spent 5 minutes installing her. Being as it was the first for me on this, I probably spent 10-15 minutes determining access and removal of the burned out one.

The original bulb was a Philips and had the #PH16W, also the #B731QK

As I did not want to wait for the bulb to be shipped (you can purchase this bulb from GMpartsdirect.com for about 1/2 the money) plus I wanted to be certain I was buying EXACTLY what I took off my vehicle, I elected to spend more but I know what I bought...nothing like putting it in your hands and eyeballing her, right?

Anyhoo, here's some pics of the burned bulb, driver's side access and passenger side access.

Since pictures can't be uploaded from my computer, I'll provide a photo link on this topic.

Pics will follow.

Regards,

Jim
In God We Trust!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a link to pics.

[/url]

Hope this helps you...this should be a routine bulb change and not a $45.00 dealer charge.

Regards,

Jim
In God We Trust!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't understand why this bulb is so expensive. When one of mine burned out I removed both of them. The parts stores don't list the correct one either, you have to ask them to look up the back up lamp. Then they usually get the right one. I did have to take the generic Philips bulb off of the base that it is glued to, this allows the headlight assembly to remain sealed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts