Saturn Outlook Forum banner

2009 vs. 2010

33K views 38 replies 9 participants last post by  jsimms 
#1 ·
I'm looking for info on the differences between the '09 & '10 Outlooks. I'm looking to buy a used one in the near future and I'm getting conflicting information.

I've seen the MPG of the '09 listed as both 16/23 & 17/24, what is it rated?

I thought the tow rating of all the Lambdas was 5,200 lbs with the factory towing package, but I've seen the '09 listed as 4,500. Is that right? Is the '10 rated at 5,200 like the Traverse?

Thanks,

#2 ·
To be honest there is no difference between the 09 and 10. I own an 09 and don't see any difference between them at all. Now the towing is 4,500. And don't quote me but the gas mileage differs between the XR and XE. But like i said don't quote me. If there are still Saturn Dealerships where u live ask them what the difference is. When I bought mine i was told that they upgraded the engines in the 08s on up and i think he said that they moved the battery back by the 2nd row seating. Other than that you can't tell the difference between the 09s and 10s.

#3 ·
Owned an 07 XR, now own an 09 Acadia SLT2.

07 and 08 were the same engine, 09 introduced the direct inject engine and slightly more horse power. The battery has always been at the feet of the second row pasenger side on each year.

Your not going to find a 10 Outlook new. They were designated for rental or fleet and not offered at dealers, at least that is the word on the street.

As far as towing, the 09 and 10 GMC is rated at 5200 and the Outlook and Enclave for 09 are rated at 4500. There are no apparent reasons for a difference listed from GM, only thing I could think of would be the hitch rating.

Fuel ratings would be different between AWD and FWD as the AWD has a higher curb weight.

#4 ·
The local Saturn dealers here (still operating, but selling used) have several 2010 models, all as used [1]. Most of the '10s are listed as having higher MPG vs the '09s, although some of the '10s are listed as 16/23 and some of the '09s are listed as 17/24. I'm trying to determine if there's a real difference or if it's a typo.

The 2010 models show more trim levels than the XE and XR. There's an XE Premium and an XR-L. Not sure what the differences there are.

If they are only 4,500 lbs, however, that may kill it for me, which is a bummer as the Outlooks are several thousand dollars cheaper than used Traverses. I'm buying a Lambda to get the towing over my old minivan (1999 Odyssey). 4,500 lbs is not a big enough difference. Hopefully the '10 models are rated the same 5,200 as the Chevy & GMC.

I think I'm going to stop by the Saturn dealer tonight and check them out.

[1] - www [dot] saturnofcolumbus [dot] com (So, no links allowed on this forum? Really?)

#5 ·
http://www.saturnofcolumbus.com/

Copy the link and paste the link in your post.

As far as the MPG, it's one off, and I think your making to big of a deal, personnaly. My city MPG is 13 to 14. Only if you drive alot of interstate in the city and keeping your average speed above 45 will you hit the 16 mark. Stop and go on these are not good on MPG. Running higher octance doesn't work, no a/c makes little difference. This is still an SUV and unless you are driving in optimal conditions with no wind your city mpg will not be great.

The 10's offered different levels mainly for package purposes; dvd vs. no dvd, towing vs. no towing, nav vs. no nav. Just an expansion for Saturn like GMC has SE, SL, SLT and 1 and 2's. Why the difference in to capacity I don't know. The curb weight of the Outlook is only 50 pounds more than the Acadia. But like I mentioned it might have to do with the strength of the hitch as there are hitches that are rateded differently, although I don't know why they would have two types in the factory.

While the price on the Outlook is better (because Saturn is no more and they dropped in value), you might still look at the Traverse or Acadia. Chevy and GMC will be around. I loved my Outlook for the look. But I love my Acadia more because of the overall performance and the fact that the dealers are easier to work with. Saturn dealer put me through the ringer on my Outlook and my wifes Aura, but we didn't find all the paperwork errors until after they closed their doors, and I had been a Saturn owner since 98.

#6 ·
The forum won't let me put links in. Maybe 'cause I'm a newbie or something. ???

You're right on the MPG, I just wanted to understand if there was an underlying difference in engine or transmission or something that made the difference. 1 MPG isn't significant.

Getting 13-14 city will be a bummer, though. I'm used to a few more than that (16-17) with our Odyssey in town.

I am a bit concerned about parts availability with the Outlook. I like the look of the Traverse the best personally.

#7 ·
khansen30 said:
Owned an 07 XR, now own an 09 Acadia SLT2.

07 and 08 were the same engine, 09 introduced the direct inject engine and slightly more horse power. The battery has always been at the feet of the second row pasenger side on each year.

Your not going to find a 10 Outlook new. They were designated for rental or fleet and not offered at dealers, at least that is the word on the street.

As far as towing, the 09 and 10 GMC is rated at 5200 and the Outlook and Enclave for 09 are rated at 4500. There are no apparent reasons for a difference listed from GM, only thing I could think of would be the hitch rating.

Fuel ratings would be different between AWD and FWD as the AWD has a higher curb weight.
My 09 OUTLOOK is rated for 5200 lbs towing and it's an 8-08 build. As far as the 2010 MY they did have some trim changes, but I have'nt seen one up close to make sure. If you can steal one buy it!

#8 ·
If you go to the GMC site and do a comparisson of the 10 and 09 Acadia vs. the 09 Outlook and Enclave, it shows that the Outlook is 4500. There is a lot of numbers that don't jive and maybe all the Outlooks are rated for 5200 but they never updated the online info and just coppied from the previous years info.

#9 ·
6Sixathome said:
My 09 OUTLOOK is rated for 5200 lbs towing and it's an 8-08 build. As far as the 2010 MY they did have some trim changes, but I haven't seen one up close to make sure. If you can steal one buy it!
That's a fairly early 09, your owner's manual says 5,200? How did you determine that it was rated at 5,200? The '09 brochure I've seen indicates 4,500.

#10 ·
I know some of the other lambdas have 1 exhaust or dual exhaust...
the duals exhaust models have a few more HP and tq...
Wonder if this makes any difference in the tow rating..

Also I think the AWD models are rated to tow a little less (because they weigh more)...

#11 ·
I was looking on the GMC web site and the AWD Acadia is rated 16/23 and the FWD is 17/24. I bet that was the difference, the Saturn of Columbus site doesn't list AWD vs. FWD.

#12 ·
salquod,

You hit the nail on the head regarding the sticker mileage difference. My '09 is rated at 17 City and 24 Highway. It's a front wheel drive version. The all wheel drive version is rated 1 mile per gallon less both city and highway. The factory stickers on the AWD versions will be much higher (think a couple of thousand $) vs. the FWD.

Regarding the brochures you read on the towing capacity. Saturn of GM implemented a running engineering change in September of '08 on the '09's which certified the towing capacity from 4,500 to 5,200. Mainly due to the direct injection motors offered in '09 and forward. Mine has the dual exhaust setup and is rated at 288 horse. When I purchased mine last year, the build date was determined to be September of '08. An easy way to determine if the vehicle you are looking at has the FACTORY TRAILER TOWING PACKAGE (Code V92), just remove (if it has one) the center modesty plastic panel which covers the hitch and plug. Get on your hands and knees and look along the right side of the hitch yoke. It will be labeled with the 5,200 lb rating.

They did not bother to go back and reprint their brochures for this towing capacity change. That's why there is confusion in the ranks when you're shopping.

Good luck!

Regards,

Jim
In God We Trust!

#13 ·
Turns out most, if not all, of their 2010's, are rentals bought at auction. Seems doubtful that they'd have the tow package and I'm not sure I want an off rental vehicle.

#14 ·
salquod,

All AWD Outlooks for 2010 appear to have the AWD chrome trim on the right side of the tailgate. Also, at a glance, the window sticker City/Highway mpg will tell you whether you are looking at an AWD or FWD.

This link posted above in Columbus, Ohio shows a few 2010's with the hitch and plug in the rear. If you click on a specific vehicle, enlarge the photos, then click on the rear view to see the hitch. What I would do if I was in your shoes is call the dealer and ask them to verify the hitch is a FACTORY TRAILER TOWING PACKAGE which would be listed in the codes as V92 (that code would also be displayed on a glove box label. All the 2010's with the factory installed towing package have got to be rated at the 5,200 lb capacity.

I drilled down from that Saturn site posted in Ohio and selected ALL trim levels for Saturn Outlooks Previously owned at all 3 locations. It gave me 22 vehicles (a # of 2010's, some '09's, '08's & 07's.

Here's the link: http://www.saturnofcolumbus.com/Veh...ge=7000&maxMileage=126000&minMPG=18&maxMPG=40

Here's an example from that site:

http://www.saturnofcolumbus.com/VehicleDetails/707191063

Good luck in your hunt!

Regards,

Jim
In God We Trust!

#15 ·
khansen30 said:
If you go to the GMC site and do a comparisson of the 10 and 09 Acadia vs. the 09 Outlook and Enclave, it shows that the Outlook is 4500. There is a lot of numbers that don't jive and maybe all the Outlooks are rated for 5200 but they never updated the online info and just coppied from the previous years info.
Whoops, my bad :-[ I'm at 4500. I dont know why I thought I had 5200 :confused:.

#16 ·
Went to the Saturn dealer tonight and drove a 2010 Outlook XR. It had the tow package and I looked at the hitch sticker. It said 5,200 lbs.

Saleslady confirmed that all the 2010's were to rental places. Also, the Outlook is the only 2010 Saturn made.

#17 ·
if your can get it at a very nice price-- then it would be a great vehicle to get.
Especially if you plan to drive it to 150,000 +.

#18 ·
Salguod,

Another thing to consider that hasn't been mentioned;

The 4500/5200 towing capicity has to take into account added weight to the vehicle. If the curb weight is 4773 and towing is 4500, you have 9273 pounds available. If you load down the vehicle with 4 200 pound people and another 200 pounds of luggage, your towing capacity is now 3500. Just thought I would mention that.

#19 ·
Yep, that's why I want to upgrade. The Odyssey has a 3,500 towing capacity and our trailer is 1,750 empty, no options. Add in the options on the trailer, our family, bikes and stuff and I figure I'm close to the 3,000 lb mark.

The Outlook will give us another 1,700 lbs of capacity.

#20 ·
salguod said:
Yep, that's why I want to upgrade. The Odyssey has a 3,500 towing capacity and our trailer is 1,750 empty, no options. Add in the options on the trailer, our family, bikes and stuff and I figure I'm close to the 3,000 lb mark.

The Outlook will give us another 1,700 lbs of capacity.
Are you pulling a pop-up camper?

#21 ·
Yep, 1995 Jayco 1207 KB. Probably going to upgrade to something newer in a couple of years.

#22 ·
salguod said:
Went to the Saturn dealer tonight and drove a 2010 Outlook XR. It had the tow package and I looked at the hitch sticker. It said 5,200 lbs.
Just a point of clarification, not necessarily to single you out... this is more for the towing newbs. The receiver/hitch does not indicate the tow capacity of the vehicle. The label on the hitch is the rating for the hitch itself and nothing else.

If the '10 Outlook XR you looked at has the V92 factory tow package, then naturally it has the 5,200 lb tow rating. The RPO codes are listed on the service label sticker on the inside of the glove box. If the V92 RPO code is listed there, you've got a winner! :cheers:

#23 ·
So my 09 has V92 towing pkg but a 4500lb hitch, I can't imagine very much difference in the vehicle MY other than the hitch itself. I'll never pull that kind of weight, probably will never pull anything with my OUTLOOK.

#24 ·
Hmm, I'll have to take a look in the glove box. I imagine the owner's manual is there as well and would have the towing limits laid out there as well. I'm going to go in tomorrow night to try to seal a deal.

#25 ·
My 07 Acadia has the V92 package and my hitch says 5200 lbs; although we all know non-DI engines aren't rated to pull that kind of weight.

My owner's manual says I can pull 4200 lbs

#26 ·
Called the dealer, he said that he checked the 2010 owner's manual and it did say 5,200. Going tonight to sign the papers, I'll verify that before I do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.