Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we purchased our car in 2009 with 20,000 miles on it and now have a little over 50,000 miles on it. within the last 1000 miles we have already had to replace 2 coil wires and it now looks like we are going to have to have another one replaced Wednesday since it has the same symtoms as before. we get our vehicle serviced at the dealership and so far I feel they have been honest but this starting to become a stressful situation. I am afraid to take a trip out of state to see my daughter since I get paranoid every time I see the engine light go on. reading some of the posts, it looks like most of the people having any type of problems have a lot more miles on their cars. anyone else have any coil problems or suggestions to what the root of this problem can be? thanks.

·
Registered
754 Posts
the 2009 Traverse, Acadia, Enclaves, Outlooks use BOSCH coils.
they have been problematic.

in 2010- they began to use DENSO coils- as well as different part # plugs from the 2009s.

I would look into simply changing out the factory coils and putting in newer updated coils.

If the issue continues- its something else..

but plenty of posts on the 09 coils causing misfires etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info. I wonder if they put in new spark plugs when they change out the coils - I will need to find out when I take it to the dealer on Wednesday. some of the posts say that the spark plugs don't get changed for 100,000 miles. we just had the 50,000 mile service done and I assumed plugs were part of the service. also, I wonder if I would have to pay for a bad plug if it is supposed to last for that length of time. another thing to ask about. the paperwork doesn't show a detailed list of everything that is done (which my husband is not to happy about) but I have been satisfied with the service......so far.

·
Registered
754 Posts
i dont know if plugs are part of the 100,000 powertrain and if they would be replaced 'free'.
but they are rated for 100,000 miles when its all working fine.

if theres been misfires--- the plugs could be fouled.

-------------------------------

But if it was me, Id just change them myself.
Not sure if you guys are do it yourself'rs...

I bought mine via amazon and used the mail in rebate.

I know not everyone can DIY-- but throwing it out as a possibility.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my husband use to do a lot of his own mechanical work but now with all these sensors and computers he just leaves it alone. I will find out some info on what the dealer does when they change out the coil wires and if they don't change out the plugs I will look further into diy change outs. do you know what could foul out a plug? and would that cause a coil to go bad? thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, it was the coil wire. one of the back ones. anyway, they did change out the spark plugs in the last 2 so I told them to replace the rest of the coil wires and the spark plugs. should not have anymore trouble with them now and if I do, it will be out of their pocket. I am disappointed that the company, knowing that there was a problem with coil wires for that model and year never had a recall. they have a recall for everything else :)

anyway, I am now broke but at least I won't be paranoid - hopefully for another 50,000 miles!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts