Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took delivery on my 2009 XE. I did not get the remote start option from the factory. Does anyone know if it's like the 2008(s) where I just have to get the appropriate Key FOBs and have the dealership program it for me?

thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was told by Saturn of Hickory (NC) that unless they did it at the Factory it can't be done. I don't know how true it is though.

·
Registered
79 Posts
This has been discussed thoroughly on the Acadia and Enclave forums. Check your owners manual, the 08 manual, on page 2-9 says,

"Remote Start Ready.
If your vehicle does not have the remote start feature,
it will have the remote start ready feature. This
feature allows your dealer/retailer to add the
manufacturer’s remote start feature.
See your dealer/retailer if you would like to add the
manufacturer’s remote start feature to your vehicle."

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I tried that, they said no ap3, no remote start.

Has anyone added remote start and not had ap3 on a 2009 outlook?

All I have is ap8

·
Registered
79 Posts
bhornberger said:
Well I tried that, they said no ap3, no remote start.

Has anyone added remote start and not had ap3 on a 2009 outlook?

All I have is ap8
AP3 is the remote start. Any vehicle with AP3 already has remote start functioning. I'd suggest calling another dealership. Post these questions on the other forums and you'll get more responses.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lewisr said:
AP3 is the remote start. Any vehicle with AP3 already has remote start functioning. I'd suggest calling another dealership. Post these questions on the other forums and you'll get more responses.
All I have is ap8, not ap3.

·
Registered
79 Posts
bhornberger said:
All I have is ap8, not ap3.
Understood.

Like I said, I would contact another dealer. I know of several 07's and 08's that had AP8 and they were able to add the remote start by purchasing the key fob and reprogramming the computer. There was a period of time in early 08 model year that this was not possible. Since that time(sept/oct 07) all 08's have been able to add the remote start. I understand you're asking about 09's, that's why I suggest you contact another dealer, even if it is a GM/Buick dealer. If it can be done on an Acadia or Enclave it can be done on an Outlook.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just started a topic on this. It appears that Techline told my parts guy that the computer codes are not ready yet. There should be no new hardware in 09 for this right so as soon as it's updated, the 09s should be ok?

·
Registered
19 Posts
So guys, whats the latest news?? I have a 2008 XE and it does have the AP8 code so I I buy a fob and take it to a dealer will this work or not?? The build date on it is 03/08.
Sorry to have this reply on several topics but I am in need of some quick reply because I would like to do this for my wife for Christmas.
Thanks and Merry Christmas
Joe
Ashland, Ky.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Well, the dealers around me normally have me add my remote starters to thier customer's vehicles even if they have the right code for GM remote starter. The reason is my basic remote start installed is only $185 which gives a lifetime warrant and 2500' of range versus 500' from the factory. In addition, many people now use smart phones and I have an app for remote start which gives you unlimited range and you can view your car in real time via your phone.

Another thing I've noticed is that if the customer has had an aftermarket remote start before, they normally don't like the factory style with the limited range, short run time, and small # of start times before you have to start it with the key.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIz_TdXkEko

·
Registered
19 Posts
Man I sure wish I lived close to you, I bought the key fobs on eBay new for $85 shipped and the dealer is only going to charge me $40-$80 depending on how long and what he has to do but still I would have paid the extra to have the range.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Well, if you don't live in a big town or work in a factory you may get lucky and can get decent range out of it. I know years ago we use to put 2 batteries inside the remotes and it would double the range. So, say that your remotes call for a cr2032 battery you could install 2 cr2016 batteries which are the same voltage but half as thick. Doing this would double to voltage and make them transmit further. But, be carefull because I haven't tried it on these OEM remotes for the Outlook.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am also going to try and put a walky-talky in the console and go out of range of the car and try to start it over the walky-talky?? I have done this with cell phones and power door locks from miles away but I am curious to see if it will work like this?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Haha, You know I've always heard stories about doing this but I've never gotten any to actually do it. I've even tried it before when my wife's remote quit and she couldn't get the doors unlocked with the key.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The remote start works on my Outlook now, mine came with the AP8 code and all I did was bought two fob from eBay for $85 and had the dealer reprogram and it worked. If anyone needs detailed directions I have the instructions that came with the fobs so you can take it to your dealer and prove them wrong when they tell you it will not work!! Just send me an email and I can send them to you vis Adobe or Word just let me know which way you need them.
Joe
[email protected]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts