Saturn Outlook Forum banner

28 MPG with 6 on board

11K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  1917 Oldsmobile 
#1 ·
518 miles round trip.
Last time I drove from Los Angeles to Santa Barbara- I achieved 31.3 MPG with 2 adults and 1 baby.
Link to that thread- http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=1859.0

On this trip I achieved- 28 MPG- to the general area as above. Once again 55-60 MPG. (The highest I saw right before Santa Barbara was 29 MPG).

The difference-
4 adults,2yr old, 6 month old, 2 strollers, playpen, baby seats, change of clothes for everyone, toys, baby stuff, etc.
6 seats occupied. The 3rd row 60 portion folded down to allow space for playpen and strollers.

But Our final destination was actually further ahead. In Santa Barbara- we turn off the highway-leave the coast and turn into the Los Padres National Forest.
Plenty of Hill climbing here. The 28 went down to 24 MPG. Once past the mountains we drove on- and eventually reached the motel I have made reservation at.
At this point were at
202 miles into trip
26.2 MPG
7.7 gal used

The next morning
We did more in town driving. Some more hills - Did some shopping. You know women and shopping- multiple shoe boxes,new clothes, 12 new water bottles.
We drove on to our next destination-
Now were at
261.2 trip miles
25.3 MPG
10.3 gal used.
Note the gas needles position after 261 miles.

For the return trip- I gassed up.
291.1 trip meter.
11.5 gal- DIC.
25.2 MPG-DIC
11.4 gal- auto shut off pump
25.5 MPG hand calc. NICE! DIC is accurate.
The trip meter is now reset to 0.

The return trip was a little more straightforward- no major stops- except diaper change for kids and Coffee for us (McDonalds). But we had more cargo as mentioned above.
225.7 trip miles.
26.9 MPG- DIC.
8.3 gal used.
301 miles- RANGE still left !!!! (after already doing 225 miles!) (when I refilled- the DIC showed 555 range).

This is the cargo hold when we got home. (I covered up stuff so prying eyes couldn’t see purchases). But note that the 60 portion of the seat area no has more stuff piled on.

Note that I stay in the lane with Semis. 55 is the law for larger vehicles in CA. Very easy to join in the convoys. Theres 3 ahead of me.
Also makes hill climbing easier- as you can easily climb the hill.. no need to do 80 MPH going uphill--- that uses gas—big time.

See less See more
#2 ·
Very nice :thumb: I think that you must of got a fine tuned Traverse, maybe that's where those 3xx miles came from ??? I've seen high 27's with 4 of us in the car going around 60mph. I think if we had better gas around here I could do better. 95% of our driving is around town and maybe a 10 mile jaunt here or there, we rarely get to do highway driving but that may change when our oldest goes away to college. My Sierra in V4 mode going 55 will get 23/24 mpg :thumb:, even in V8 mode going 55 it will get 17/18ish.

#3 ·
I like this pic.
The Hotel is in the California Mission theme.
The route follows the "Camino Real"
The route people walked to set up the California Missions along the entire Ca coast back in the 1700's.
I tried. but Photobucket keeps rotation the pic sideways...

#5 ·
rbarrios,

Just have to comment on the fact that your Lambda experience borders on EXCELLENCE! Seriously, that is outstanding mileage and consistent with your experience from day one. I have to tell ya' though, that 55-60 mph is borderline boring. Just tough to do regularly. I have done it though and was pleasantly surprised to get into the 30 mpg club.

Again, outstanding vehicle experience!

Jim
In God We Trust!

#6 ·
yes- so far so good. Excellent performance.

As for 55-60/
On these trips- were in no hurry- everyone from babies, mom, to grandma to great grandma fall asleep or enjoy the scenery--- except me the driver.
So to them its a relaxing trip.

The trip to florida- that we had limited time- so I went faster...

#8 ·
yes- but they are kissing cousins underneath.
in my case a 2010 traverse- mechanicals are identical on the 2010 Outlooks.

07/08 outlooks are mechanically identical to the 07-08 GMC Acadia and Buick Enclave.

the 09's and up differ in that they are using the Direct Injection version of GM's 3.6 L engine.

the 07,08's have the non DI 3.6L

but issues with an outlook will pop up on the other platforms...
lots of us frequent the Acadia, Enclave, traverse, Outlook forums

#10 ·
rbarrios said:
yes- but they are kissing cousins underneath.
in my case a 2010 traverse- mechanicals are identical on the 2010 Outlooks.

07/08 outlooks are mechanically identical to the 07-08 GMC Acadia and Buick Enclave.

the 09's and up differ in that they are using the Direct Injection version of GM's 3.6 L engine.

the 07,08's have the non DI 3.6L

but issues with an outlook will pop up on the other platforms...
lots of us frequent the Acadia, Enclave, traverse, Outlook forums

True I am on all four forums as well as some others not related to these forums as well.

#11 ·
Thats great, the best I've done is about 25 mpg with 2 adults and 2 kids for about 75 highway miles. Speaking of gas mileage, I rented a new 2012 Dodge Charger with the 3.6 Pentastar V6 and rolled solo from San Diego to LA and achieved this!

30.6 MPG. MY driving style was spirited at times but mostly around 75 MPH. I was impressed

#12 ·
I too have taken a 55 mile trip on I-70 and I-65 at 70 mph and achieved 29 mpg at the end of my trip. I truly believe that alot of the problems that some drivers have with engine/tranny troubles, poor mileage, excessive brake and tire wear is due to their own driving habits. I have 84,000 on my 09 Outlook now and have only had the water pump replaced (79,000 miles), coils replaced (78,0000 miles) and deck lid struts replaced at 40,000 miles. My Fortera tires lasted 75,000 miles and my Cooper CS 4 tires show almost no wear at 9,000 miles. My brakes are still original and I have had no timing chain or transmission problems at all. Maybe it is just luck or maybe its just me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.