Saturn Outlook Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Could be the nuts were not tightened with a torque wrench.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Bumping my own thread. I'm finally getting around to tires this week. Belle Tire has Hankooks at $155 + 20 to mount. I'll have them do the front brakes too. I'm close to 68k miles and am getting some pulsing if I brake hard at highway speed. I will also have them check end links since I do get low speed clunking.

How do I know if I need a brake system flush or any other "up sell" items? Anything else to watch for?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Called to confirm my appointment and asked about brake cost. Front rotors and pads quoted at $399. Said rotors were $104 each. I see rotors about $50 on rock auto. Should I look elsewhere for brakes? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
396 Posts
$400 for pads and rotors doesn't seem terrible. Do you really need rotors? Could they be turned instead of replaced? The limit is how thin they are, they are marked with minimum service thickness (to be re-used) & minimum turning thickness (for turning first, then re-using).

Opinions vary on brake flush. I've heard folks say it ought to be done yearly, I've seen other specs say 100K. There's a company that sells test strips that supposedly show if the fluid is shot, but I'm not sure if they are valid or not.

Me? I'd say no to anything but pads & turning the rotors. If they want to replace them, I'd make them show me the marked minimum thickness and what they measured them to be showing that they are too thin to turn.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts