Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night when my outlook was in the garage, I noticed a ringing noise. The noise is of very low volume. The nature of the noise is very much like my ears were ringing. In fact I really thought that my ears were ringing until I pulled the key out and the noise went away.

It doesn't really bother me because it's only audible when the ambient is very quite with both engine and radio off. No way you can hear it when driving. But in a quiet night, you close the windows, shut the doors and turn the cabin into a quiet cocoon, turn the key to the first or second position (not ignition), it's definitely there. Pull the key out, it's gone.

I am curious if it is just my car or if it is universal. I have a decibel meter. I can take a measurement later on.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I assume you mean that high pitch noise. I think it is caused by HID transformers. It is barely noticeable. If so - you are not alone, mine is douing the same thing I'd say. I think it is normal.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it's a very high pitch noise. I just found out that it is much more audible when you stand outside of the car. Insert the key, turn to the 2nd position, stand outside the car, it's there.

By HID did mean High Intensity Discharge (headlights)? I don't have them. It must be some other PWM device or inverter that is making the noise.

I tried with the sound level meter, it couldn't register the noise. To low a sound pressure.

·
Registered
63 Posts
yes - I meant headlights. I certainly get the same noise. I was thinking it is them as they involve some high voltage transformers that are prone to make such noise, but if you don't have them it is not that for sure. Could it be the ignition coil(s)?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It could be. I opened the hood the other day and found it rather unfamiliar. I mean, when I open my Accord's hood, I see familiar components, starter, AC, water pump, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, alternator, distributor, battery, fuse box, filters...Under Outlook's hood, I cannot even find where the distributor is. I don't think it has one. Ignition is probably controlled by an electronic module mounted near the front with cast aluminum heat sink (from the best I can guess). I should hope the hood and listen around.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I hear the same sound in my Outlook too. Not sure why it does it. I just assume it what the ignition switch does.
Tim C.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts