Saturn Outlook Forum banner

AC Failure

10K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  salguod 
#1 ·
I just dropped off my '10 Outlook at a local mechanic to have the AC diagnosed. Just a few months over 2 years old (only 2 summer's AC use!) and it's not cooling well and has the tell tale hissing sound under the dash that usually indicated low refrigerant. I'll report back what they find, but my wife reported an odd odor (said it 'smelled hot') when driving it yesterday. If I'm facing a $1,200 evaporator repair like others here and on the Acadai board have reported, I'm gonna be livid. Absolutely no reason that component should fail this soon. :angryfire:

I'll let you know what I find.

BTW - When I pulled up to the mechanic, there was a guy hand painting pinstripes on a mid 60's GTO in the first bay. Gave me the warm fuzzies about that shop. :thumb:

#3 ·
Just turned 51K, so I'm even 3K beyond the 48K Certified warranty.

Guy says the line from the compressor to the condenser is bad. Looks like it just came apart, and he said based on the quality of the part I should plan on doing the rest at some point. Replacing that plus a recharge is $500, assuming the compressor is still good. If it's been open a long time the compressor may be shot too.

Not happy to spend $500 on this truck so soon. :angryfire:

Might try to do this myself, he says the part is about $100 and a recharge would be $150, so I'd save a couple hundred bucks. Again, assuming the compressor isn't shot.

#4 ·
Bummer :(. I bought the GMPP Major Guard 3/yr 36K $0.00 deductable for $1,120.00 I could see something like that happening with mine after everything else ::), now if something is wrong I just drive in and say fix it and not have to worry about paying. Lately it's been good. Thought about selling it and leasing a Surburban. IDK we'll see, if it stays good we might end up driving it until the GMPP warranty is up.

#5 ·
I looked at GMPP, but with the miles we put on (22K per year), it wasn't cost effective. Was going to be something like $1,500 for an extra year, maybe.

#6 ·
WOW 22K/yr, are you a salesman? JK, I used to put that many on when I worked construction. We only do 12K/yr now.

#7 ·
With family spread out, we drive a lot to see them. My wife's family is 600 miles away, but not in a place that's easy to fly to (not that flying 5 of us would make economic sense). Two trips there each year is 2,400 miles. At least one big camping trip each year likely adds another 1,000 then several trips to my family which is 250 round trip, probably another 1,000, for a total of 4,400 just on trips. That doesn't include work, church and running 3 teenagers around. Now that the oldest has a car, the miles on the Outlook are dropping.

#8 ·
sixathome said:
Bummer :(. I bought the GMPP Major Guard 3/yr 36K $0.00 deductable for $1,120.00 I could see something like that happening with mine after everything else ::), now if something is wrong I just drive in and say fix it and not have to worry about paying. Lately it's been good. Thought about selling it and leasing a Surburban. IDK we'll see, if it stays good we might end up driving it until the GMPP warranty is up.
Thank you for sharing. My husband and I are currently looking for a "new to us" vehicle. The Suburban is on the list, but haven't found one we have fallen for so we still continue to look.

Michelle, GM Customer Service

#9 ·
For those not following along on the Acadia forum, I'm finally getting this fixed. Long story short, contacted GM they said to take it to the dealer, took the dealer 2 trips, 3 days and $120 to diagnose the same thing the ind. guy did - bad pressure line from compressor to condenser. Estimate was another $460. Gm stepped up, however, and is covering this for me in full plus I got a $100 certificate toward my next dealer visit, nearly covering the install $120 diagnostic. Total out of pocket will be about $50.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.