Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
It is, but be careful if you buy a used one. (1) if it was removed from another vehicle, you will need to find a dealer who will unlock it (some won't do it, others will for a fee. (2) Make sure it comes with the DVD, otherwise it won't work and you will have to spend $200 for the disk. (3) Check if it comes with the GPS antenna. If it does, make sure the cable is long enough. If not, you will end up buying one with a long enough cable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I and others have done this on the Acadia and Enclave forums. Here is my recent experience...

http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=1101.0

One thing you might have to worry about is if you have the stock audio system in your vehicle. If you have the Bose 10 speaker system it is not a bad project to take on. I don't exactly know what the difference is between the Outlooks "advanced audio" and the Bose 10 speaker system. There is a thread on this subject here somewhere.

Depending on which audio system you have, the volume might be too low so you would have to add an amp if it is not loud enough for you.

Good luck and tinker away.

·
Registered
59 Posts
rcrules said:
I and others have done this on the Acadia and Enclave forums. Here is my recent experience...

http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=1101.0

One thing you might have to worry about is if you have the stock audio system in your vehicle. If you have the Bose 10 speaker system it is not a bad project to take on. I don't exactly know what the difference is between the Outlooks "advanced audio" and the Bose 10 speaker system. There is a thread on this subject here somewhere.

Depending on which audio system you have, the volume might be too low so you would have to add an amp if it is not loud enough for you.

Good luck and tinker away.
BOSE = Advanced Audio, in regards to the Nav, so if you have the latter in your Saturn, that's what's needed for it to work with the factory Nav.

Otherwise, from there, it's just getting the parts and installing them. That's one good thing about the still remaining double-din mostly universal GM head units--things like swapping in an OEM Nav, really isn't much more than unplugging the old and plugging in the new, IF you get all the right things, or just have a dealer use their Tech tool on a used unit. Still, very universal and easy, at least until more and more GM vehicles begin migrating to the new "integrated" center stacks and such that have no separate head unit, but rather just controls spread out on and built into a big stylized section of the dash.

·
Registered
7 Posts
compnurd said:
hmm i wonder if the dealer would order the parts and do the install?
Absolutely. The head unit I got from eBay has an MSRP of $2200. $100 for the antenna. I would guess it would cost $2600ish installed (head unit and antenna). The upside to having them install it is you would have a warranty if anything goes wrong later.

·
Registered
59 Posts
rcrules said:
Absolutely. The head unit I got from eBay has an MSRP of $2200. $100 for the antenna. I would guess it would cost $2600ish installed (head unit and antenna). The upside to having them install it is you would have a warranty if anything goes wrong later.
Yeah, on other vehicles, I've heard of dealers doing it. But, you'll also run into some that will refuse to acknowledge the parts work, or just know they do, and won't do the install. All depends on the dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'll just add my 2 cents here. I went with the Pioneer Z2 navigation system on this car. I have another GM car with the factory nav system. The Pioneer is at least 10 times better! And it will cost you about the same price with all of the modules, iPod, Bluetooth, Sirius or XM radio. But it is much, much better than the factory unit. The downside (as someone else mentioned) is the warranty. I am having battery drain problems (completely un-related) but as long as the after market system is in the car, the dealer has an excuse on why they can't properly troubleshoot the electrical system. I've had to pull the after market stuff out to try get this fixed. Quite an inconvenience to say the least. But at the end of the day, I would still buy the Pioneer unit again. :cheers:

·
Registered
3 Posts
A cautionary note...there's currently an OEM system on eBay with a very attractive price. But the vendor is listing the exact same radio for the Outlook/Enclave/Acadia.

While the radio will work, the led lighting in the buttons etc, will only be correct for the Enclave (blue).

·
Registered
3 Posts
An Outlook owner will let us know for sure, but a look at the dash online indicated it was yellow-gold.

(I'm an Acadia owner with a red dash...I followed rcrules lead in buying a radio, since I knew it would work. But I failed to realize his Enclave's dash was blue).

I've been unsuccessful in my attempts to get the lighting changed...I just don't want anybody to fall victim to misleading advertising ...

·
Registered
3 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts