Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else think that the "advanced audio" isn't so advanced? Am i missing something here? The sound quality stinks! Even the db level is low, at max my wife and I can have a normal converstaion that is louder. Also the DVD/Nav unit doesn't seem to be in 5.1. I placed a THX DVD movie with the "Optimode" 5.1 surround setup. (for those not familular, most THX labeled movies have a special setup menu that sends discrete signals to each of the 5.1 channels for calibration and setup). The test prooved what my ears heard, all channels were played left and right ONLY, no frontlft-center-frontrt, surround lft, surround rt, then subwwoofer audio. when the signals were sent out, all audio was heard through all speakers but only left to right, when the sub audio was suppose to play, silence.

I have searched, but have yet to find any setup menus at all for the audio, only the basic fader, and bass, mid, treble levels. Really?That is "advanced"? My last truck from 2002 with "basic audio" had more settings and customizations!

Again, I hope that I just missing something, any help anyone?

·
Registered
51 Posts
You're not. It's not an advanced audio system by any means. I don't think it's THX certified, so that test probably wouldn't work even if on other DVDs you may experience some sort of a 5.1 experience, which, I don't know that you do.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't think the system is 5.1. Most likely it downmixes 5.1 to stereo and feeds it thru the 9 + 1 "advanced audio" speakers :)

2009 model states there will be 5.1 capable THX certified BOSE audio option, but for 2008 and 2007 "advanced audio" doesn't say anywhere 5.1. Don't get fooled by the 9 speaker + subwoofer setup and take the assumption it would output 6 channel audio.

I was going to do the same test as you to see if it really does surround audio, but I always suspected it is plain stereo with multiple speakers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any ideas on how the acadia, enclave, and so many other GM products use the exact head unit and have 5.1 but the outlook doesn't? Wonder if you could change head units with a 5.1 version? I did notice that 5.1 is on the list of new options for the 2009.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts