Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put after market fog lights on an XE? If so what did you use? Any helpful installation tips?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I purchased the ones off ebay they are nice lights for the money. They came with 2 sets of bulbs one set clear and one set is blue. They are not a direct bolt in but they went in fairly easy, I lossend the inner fender liner and the lower panel under the front to access the back of the fog light area. You have to take out the factory block out plates once you do that the fog lights have a u shape mounting bracket which works out pretty good. If you look at the back of the plate where the lights go it has all the mounts where they bolt to. There is two long plastic mounts if you face the the mount on your new light down they slide right around the outside of those plastic mounts. Then I took two 9/32 screws with washers and screwed them into the factory plastic mounts. The lights are nice and secure and are much brighter then factory as they are 55 watt bulbs. As for the wiring I hate drilling holes in a brand new car and the outlook fire wall is sealed up pretty well. So all I did was mount the relay on the inner fender by the fuse box under the hood. I ran the hot lead to the stud on the box where the red positive cap is, then a ground lead there is one on the inner fender by the fuse box. then i just tapped into the parking light wire to trigger the lights on. So when ever the parking lights are on the fog lights come on. I also soldered all the connections and made a nice wiring harness wrapped it with tape and pulled tied it up trying to make it look factory as possible. I would reccomend take it apart first and take a look at it to orientate yourself with it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The final price was under $60.00 for the parts and the amount of time it took me to hook them up about 4 or 5 hours the hardest part was figure out how to mount them. This is a busy week working late every night I will try to take pictures over this weekend

·
Registered
87 Posts
Looks great. Does the kit allow for aiming and adjustments?

·
Registered
36 Posts
As for the aimimg of them you have a little bit of play, I got pretty lucky I just seated them so they looked even in the factory cut out and they were dead on. I pulled up against my garage door and they put a nice straight beam of light. You really notice the difference at night.

·
Registered
25 Posts
zfiero said:
I purchased the ones off ebay they are nice lights for the money. They came with 2 sets of bulbs one set clear and one set is blue. They are not a direct bolt in but they went in fairly easy, I lossend the inner fender liner and the lower panel under the front to access the back of the fog light area. You have to take out the factory block out plates once you do that the fog lights have a u shape mounting bracket which works out pretty good. If you look at the back of the plate where the lights go it has all the mounts where they bolt to. There is two long plastic mounts if you face the the mount on your new light down they slide right around the outside of those plastic mounts. Then I took two 9/32 screws with washers and screwed them into the factory plastic mounts. The lights are nice and secure and are much brighter then factory as they are 55 watt bulbs. As for the wiring I hate drilling holes in a brand new car and the outlook fire wall is sealed up pretty well. So all I did was mount the relay on the inner fender by the fuse box under the hood. I ran the hot lead to the stud on the box where the red positive cap is, then a ground lead there is one on the inner fender by the fuse box. then i just tapped into the parking light wire to trigger the lights on. So when ever the parking lights are on the fog lights come on. I also soldered all the connections and made a nice wiring harness wrapped it with tape and pulled tied it up trying to make it look factory as possible. I would reccomend take it apart first and take a look at it to orientate yourself with it. Hope this helps.
Any chance you could post a picture of the relay installation. So from what I understand the relay will always be energized and will route power down to the lights. I assume you tapped into the parking light wire as it leaves the fuse box?

How do the block outs come out? Ans how long doyou think the project took/

·
Registered
36 Posts
To take the block outs out I just loosend the light assy and turned them out pretty easy. The hot lead on the relay is hooked directly to the battery, lights draw alot of power so I did not want to hook it up to any of the factory lines and take a chance of blowing fuses. There is no power going to the light until the parking lights trigger the relay. I mounted the relay right by the fuse box on the inner fender, I also put a inline fuse on the hot lead to protect it. I tapped into the parking lights by the light it was easier to do it there because I had the inner well all opened up to put the lights in. It probably took about 4 to 5 hours give or take. I will try to post some pictures it will be kind of hard to see as everything is pulled tied and tucked away, I wanted it to look as factory as possible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts