Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife told me the air stopped working in her 2008 Outlook XR. This happened a couple days ago and the AC button would turn on but it wouldn't blow cold air. Now the AC button won't even come on. When pressed it just flashes 3 times and goes out. If the AC was low on coolant does the AC just stop coming on all together or do I have a bigger more expensive problem?

·
Registered
754 Posts
the light flashing is a clue that something is up.

but are you sure youve set the selector to blow at your face?

One of the settings-- actually causes the AC light to blink. I think its when its set to blow at feet...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rbarrios said:
the light flashing is a clue that something is up.

but are you sure youve set the selector to blow at your face?

One of the settings-- actually causes the AC light to blink. I think its when its set to blow at feet...
I had it set to auto and it was blowing from the upper vents. Have an appointment for Monday at dealer to get it looked at.

·
Registered
754 Posts
ok, just making sure of the basics-- before you took it in...

·
Registered
396 Posts
I believe that the flashing AC light means the system is low on refrigerant and will not come on to protect the compressor. The only reason it'd be low is that there's likely a leak somewhere. :(

·
Registered
353 Posts
jrvichammer said:
Wife told me the air stopped working in her 2008 Outlook XR. This happened a couple days ago and the AC button would turn on but it wouldn't blow cold air. Now the AC button won't even come on. When pressed it just flashes 3 times and goes out. If the AC was low on coolant does the AC just stop coming on all together or do I have a bigger more expensive problem?
On page 3-24 of the 2008 Saturn Outlook owner's manual, it reads;
" Air Conditioning): Press this button on the left knob to turn the air conditioning system on or off. When A/C is pressed, an indicator light comes on to show that the air conditioning has been activated. The air conditioning compressor does not operate when outside temperatures fall below 40°F (4°C). The indicator light flashes three times and turns off when outside conditions affect air conditioning operation. This is normal."

Did your wife notice any messages in the Driver Information Center? I see on page 3-70 there is a message of "Service A/C (Air Conditioning) System" which means the vehicle should be serviced by your local General Motors dealership especially if you and your family are noticing a drop in heating and/or air conditioning efficiency.

I hope you have a great weekend.

Michelle, GM Customer Service

·
Registered
214 Posts
Did your wife notice any messages in the Driver Information Center? I see on page 3-70 there is a message of "Service A/C (Air Conditioning) System" which means the vehicle should be serviced by your local General Motors dealership especially if you and your family are noticing a drop in heating and/or air conditioning efficiency.

First time I've heard of that message being available. Of course, the numerous posts made on all of these Lambda boards by owner's whose A/C quit working never once that I can recall mentioned a "Service A/C System" warning. Many of these involved leaks which allowed the refrigerant to escape. Many also involved the rear A/C unit which quit working because of a leak.

I wonder what would actually trigger that message?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Ours did the 3 AC light flashes thing, but I never saw a 'Service AC' message. It just quit working well.

·
Registered
353 Posts
salguod said:
Ours did the 3 AC light flashes thing, but I never saw a 'Service AC' message. It just quit working well.
How are things going with your air conditioning?

·
Registered
396 Posts
GM Customer Service said:
How are things going with your air conditioning?

It's been working fine so far, thanks!

·
Registered
353 Posts
salguod said:
It's been working fine so far, thanks!
No problem. I hope you have a great holiday weekend coming up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our 07 Outlook XR is making a slight squealing sound with AC turned on, so I am guessing that we are low on refrigerant again? Last time I brought it to the dealer it was flashing like top poster commented on so the dealer did a recharge and then it worked kinda for 3 months and now it is back too not working...how do you fill these things up, it cannot be that hard? I do not want to take back to dealer as they will just charge more money tp fix something that should be under warranty.

·
Registered
396 Posts
If it's low, it's leaking somewhere. I'd take it back to the dealer since they didn't properly diagnose it. I'd expect a diagnosis for free.

·
Registered
353 Posts
@Bkro, I agree with salguod. There should be a warranty on the work the dealership did three months ago. You will want to talk with them about this and see what they can work out for you to get this taken care of.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts