Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happened a couple of days ago, and I am sharing it in case anyone else runs into it. I picked up a relative at the airport, and I was in a covered garage that transmitted noise well. When I started the vehicle ('08 Outlook XR) I noticed a loud and persistent whining noise. It was not affected by engine speed. We headed home, and decided to stop at a restaurant. The noise continued even after the engine was shut off, and it was accompanied by a low washer fluid warning. I looked under the hood and traced the noise to the washer fluid reservoir. I went to a nearby Auto Zone and bought a gallon of washer fluid. I added it, which made the noise more faint, but it was still there. I could see the vehicle from my table in the restaurant, and the noise had become loud enough by then for people passing by to notice it. My short term plan was to pull the fuse for the washer/wiper circuit when I got home until I figured out what to do. I noticed when I got in the vehicle that the rear window was wet (it shouldn't have been), and I was getting a low washer fluid warning again, probably 30 minutes after adding a gallon of fluid and parking the vehicle. On the way home I toggled the switch for the rear wiper/washer a couple of times. After I got home, no more whining noise. The switch for the rear washer apparently stuck internally in the on position, causing the rear washer motor to continuously run even when the engine was off. So far no repeats of the problem.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm surprised it ran with the ignition turned off. That shouldn't have happened.
Tim C.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was the puzzling thing about it. I would have thought that killing the ignition would have stopped it, but it ran constantly even with the engine off. I was trying to think of things that would still be getting an electrical feed, and that wasn't on the list. The fluid on the rear window was the real giveaway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts