Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a 2007 Saturn Outlook with 81,000 miles on the clock. We've had a few small issues here and there that I've resolved on my own (replaced sway bar links; faulty window switch on drivers side, etc.). We also had the mysterious steering wheel noise (which sounded like you were sliding a fingernail on a window screen when you turned the wheel) which magically disappeared a year ago. We had the headlight wiring and timing chain issues addressed by the recall.
HOWEVER, 2 weeks ago I drove the Outlook to Lowe's, and on the way back I heard a strange whine in 2nd gear. I rebuild old Jeeps as a hobby, and have torn down my share of slushboxes in those things, and metallic noises in a tranny is never a good thing. Simultaneously, I started losing reverse gear. I quickly hopped online to do a little research on the 6T76 transmission and I was blown away at the issues customers are having with this little booger. I called a buddy that runs a transmission shop and he confirmed my research about the "wave plate" shattering. He has worked on several, but recommended that I call GM to see if they would warranty the transmission. It has a 5 year/100k warranty, but the 5 years ran out in April. I called GM and spoke with a rep in India, but was pleasantly surprised at their willingness to help, possibly since I was armed with the info regarding the wave plate, and the fact that the tranny only had 81k miles. She asked me to take it to a GM dealer for diagnosis, which I did. They tore the transmission down and confirmed the wave plate was disintegrated.
My blood pressure spiked slightly today when another GM rep called the next day to follow up, and offered an "Owner Loyalty Certificate", i.e., a break on the price of a new GM. I hit the roof, and asked why I would want to buy another GM if major powertrain components fail at 81k?? I will say he was very professional and asked what I wanted out of this. I'm a reasonable guy and told him they should meet me halfway on a new tranny (yes, covering 100% would be nice, but I had come to terms that the warranty was expired) Within 15 minutes he called back and said they would agree to pay for 50% of the transmission repair.

I spoke with the service manager at the dealer today and they were ordering a "new" transmission with a 3 yr/unlimited mileage warranty. Yes, he said brand new, not rebuilt, and yes, he said unlimited miles, not 100k. I'll update everyone once the repair is complete.

While I understand all cars can have problems, its a shame that such a really nicely designed, multipurpose vehicle has had such quality issues.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
medicrxdoc said:
I am glad to see that GM covered 50% of your repair.

BTW, the trans is a 6T75 not 6T76 like you posted.
Yes, I'm definitely relieved. And you are correct on the 6T75. Typing on an iPad makes it easy to fat-finger numbers/letters!! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...and paid me additional $$'s to deal with a call center overseas.... Once I got the first rep to get off of her call script (which was maddening), I actually made progress.

·
Registered
396 Posts
psmith said:
... I spoke with the service manager at the dealer today and they were ordering a "new" transmission with a 3 yr/unlimited mileage warranty. Yes, he said brand new, not rebuilt, and yes, he said unlimited miles, not 100k. ...
I'd almost guarantee that it's not new, it's re-manufactured. I don't think anyone can get a truly new transmission. All the new ones go to the factory. I'm thinking he meant 'new to your Outlook'.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
salguod said:
I'd almost guarantee that it's not new, it's re-manufactured. I don't think anyone can get a truly new transmission. All the new ones go to the factory. I'm thinking he meant 'new to your Outlook'.
You are probably right, which is why I added the quotation marks for emphasis, and I'll certainly investigate it. One dealer told me the transmission was a factory rebuild/ 3yr 100k warranty, the dealer doing the work said "brand new" and "unlimited miles". Go figure. This is a prime reason why I do most auto repairs myself.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I hear you there, I do a lot myself too for the same reason. I may not know what I'm doing, but at least I'm not going to lie to myself about it. :p

·
Registered
353 Posts
@psmith, thank you for sharing your experience. I'm glad to read you were able to get things worked out. How are things going as of today?

Michelle, GM Customer Service

·
Registered
131 Posts
psmith said:
We also had the mysterious steering wheel noise (which sounded like you were sliding a fingernail on a window screen when you turned the wheel) which magically disappeared a year ago.
That condition would be the pinion seal in the steering rack. The noise is transmitted up the steering shaft to the steering wheel. Another good sound description is that of a zip-tie.

GM now makes the pinion seal housing available as a separate P/N (two actually, for those w/ or w/o variable effort steering), which is bolted to the steering rack. Before the pinion housing is replaced (wetted), the old GM PS fluid is flushed out of the system and replaced with Dexron VI (yes, the same hydraulic fluid spec'd for the transmission).

The TSB for this repair is P10029H.

I'm surprised the noise went away - typically the noise is better or worse-acting depending on the ambient temperature. The steering on my '09 used to act up 1st thing in the morning when the system was cold, that is, until I had the TSB performed. It has since performed w/o incident.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Saluod- :cheers: I agree! Jeeps I seem to know well; my wife's cars? Well, I have to cuss, bust knuckles and learn as I go along! I take satisfaction in being able to repair things myself.

Michelle- vehicle is finished, being cleaned up and we plan on getting it tomorrow.

XR Dreamliner- Great info! What's amazing is that particular issue has been misdiagnosed many times over the past few years. First it was "fill the PS fluid to the top", then "replace steering rack", then "lube the steering boot". I lubed the boot and filled up the PS reservoir, to no avail. Last summer it stopped making the noise.

Our problem was just the opposite with the ambient temp. When cold, no noise; once the fluid warmed up, here came the zip tie sound (a much better description)! I'll look up the TSB and go from there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Picked up the Outlook today. Transmission shifts perfectly. Net cost for me was 1900.00. The transmission IS (as salguod correctly stated) a factory rebuilt model with a 3yr/100k warranty. Happy to have it back. The dealer did tell me that in addition to Lambda transmissions they are starting to see lots of timing chain issues now. Glad GM extended the warranty on timing chain related problems, but part of me hopes that any issues with that rears it's head before the 120k mark.

·
Registered
34 Posts
While speaking with the Attorney Generals Office, I was told that perhaps the transmission issue faced or facing many Outlook, Acadia, Enclave, and Traverse owners may be of interest to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. That is the agency that decides if a safety issue warrants a recall from the manufacturer.
Help us all by looking up the following site and filing a safety complaint and tell your story. If enough of us register our tansmission problems, it may eventually lead to a recall of the transmission from GM:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

·
Registered
8 Posts
How do you contact GM to try to work out a 50/50 deal? I may be in the same situation and I only bought the car 3 days ago. I took my 2007 Outlook (FWD 98000 miles) in for diagnostics today after it won't shift past 2nd gear or something like that. I called the dealer that I bought it from (a non GM dealer out of town) and they said that it was driving fine when they sold it and it was sold As-Is. I will find out in the morning from the GMC dealer here what they come up with. Not a great experience for the first few days as an Outlook owner.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I have the wave plate problem right now and I am about ten months past 5 years. I contacted GM and they said that they can't offer any assistance right now. I also sent Michelle a direct message but it has been two days with no response. How often is she on here? Does anyone know if the dealer has any say in the decision or is it all up to GM. I have a feeling that this dealer is not being very helpful and there is another GM dealer across the street that i could go to. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
754 Posts
dont know what dealer brand you tried..
but GMC,Buick, Chevy dealers you can try.

·
Registered
353 Posts
@Myself, I apologize; there must be some technical issues going on as I responded this morning. Please, forgive me as I was out yesterday.

Michelle, GM Customer Service

·
Registered
5 Posts
With some of these KNOWN ISSUES, and for my peace of mind, I would appreciate an offer from GM to extend our power train warranties since some of us "may or may not" even have issues. I would like to know I'm covered in the event that the "wave plate" repair doesn't fix everything, as our warranty runs up in June, 2013. My entire transmission wasn't replaced, so I don't have a new warranty on that - and reading some of the other issues that are seeming prevalent, I'm worried about keeping this vehicle, let alone buying anything GM again! As a matter of fact, if they wanted to save face, they'd just give us a new 3 year warranty BEYOND 100kmiles! I personally would feel they "made it right" if they offered something along these lines. Then I wouldn't be so worried about driving the darn thing - we JUST BOUGHT IT a month ago! Immaculate service records, well cared for - but this!

I'll take bumper to bumper, please! :)

My father in law is a GM retiree (84 years old). When he returns from his hiatus in Texas, I'm giving him an earful. He's tried to get us to purchase GM since I've been in this family (22 years) and this is our FIRST GM product.

So very disappointed with GM.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Frankly, GM has one of the longest power train warranties in the business at 7 years / 100K miles. Only Hyundai / Kia is longer at 10 years but still 100K miles, I think.

Does it stink that the transmissions are failing? Yeah, but they've already given you a longer warranty than anyone, I don't think you're going to get more.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts