Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at an '09 XR w/ 80k miles for the wife. Lurked here for quite some time trying to understand what to look for but I thought it would be smart to ask the experts for their opinion on this one before I plunk down the money.

Was told it was owned by a plant employee and really looks to be in nice condition. Sunroof, 7 Passenger, Power Liftgate, Reverse Sensor/Camera, Leather, etc. The big concern of mine is the reliability of the car. Per the many recommendations of everyone on this forum, I requested a GMVIS. I'm not sure if I should be relieved or not, as it looks like the main issues with the '09 model year was encountered and fixed. Here's the rundown:

7/08/09 - Inspect & Ensure Engagement of Transmission Shift Cable Adjustment Clip
7/08/09 - Replace Brake Booster Vacuum Hose Check Valves
12/18/09 - Steering Wheel Airbag Coil Replacement
12/18/09 - Steering Wheel Column Tilt Wheel Position Sensor Replacement
1/07/10 - Seal Mounted Side Airbag - Repair
4/29/10 - Camshaft Position Sensor Replacement
4/29/10 - Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement
5/08/10 - Chain. Camshaft Secondary Drive - Left Bank - Replace
5/08/10 - Customer Concern Not Duplicated - Electrical
5/08/10 - Water Pump Replacement
5/08/10 - Camshaft Position Actuator Replacement
5/08/10 - Camshaft Timing Chain Replacement
3/25/11 - Liftgate Strut Replacement
3/25/11 - Reprogram ECM
3/25/11 - Liftgate Close Switch Replacement
3/24/12 - Customer Reimbursement Approved (Would this be for warranty work done by a non-GM shop?)
4/16/12 - Fuel Injector Replacement
8/31/12 - Replace Low Beam Headlamp Connectors

So I see the Timing Chain, the Water Pump, and the Headlamps in there. The tranny isn't in there, but I didn't feel anything out of the ordinary on a test drive and from what I've seen, the transmission problems seem to be relegated to the earlier model years. I assume once replaced, they seem to be more reliable (water pump was replaced in 2010, so it should have the revised unit), is that the case?

Is there anything you see that would make you say "Run, don't walk away from this Outlook!"?

As one aside, when I went in to see it for the first time, the driver's side window switch must have just gone bad as the driver's door was taken apart and they are waiting for the part (seat heater didn't work either, but not sure somehow the fuses or the door is linked...so it wouldn't work).

Thank you all in advance!

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Macros said:
Looking at an '09 XR w/ 80k miles for the wife. Lurked here for quite some time trying to understand what to look for but I thought it would be smart to ask the experts for their opinion on this one before I plunk down the money.

Was told it was owned by a plant employee and really looks to be in nice condition. Sunroof, 7 Passenger, Power Liftgate, Reverse Sensor/Camera, Leather, etc. The big concern of mine is the reliability of the car. Per the many recommendations of everyone on this forum, I requested a GMVIS. I'm not sure if I should be relieved or not, as it looks like the main issues with the '09 model year was encountered and fixed. Here's the rundown:

7/08/09 - Inspect & Ensure Engagement of Transmission Shift Cable Adjustment Clip
7/08/09 - Replace Brake Booster Vacuum Hose Check Valves
12/18/09 - Steering Wheel Airbag Coil Replacement
12/18/09 - Steering Wheel Column Tilt Wheel Position Sensor Replacement
1/07/10 - Seal Mounted Side Airbag - Repair
4/29/10 - Camshaft Position Sensor Replacement
4/29/10 - Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement
5/08/10 - Chain. Camshaft Secondary Drive - Left Bank - Replace
5/08/10 - Customer Concern Not Duplicated - Electrical
5/08/10 - Water Pump Replacement
5/08/10 - Camshaft Position Actuator Replacement
5/08/10 - Camshaft Timing Chain Replacement
3/25/11 - Liftgate Strut Replacement
3/25/11 - Reprogram ECM
3/25/11 - Liftgate Close Switch Replacement
3/24/12 - Customer Reimbursement Approved (Would this be for warranty work done by a non-GM shop?)
4/16/12 - Fuel Injector Replacement
8/31/12 - Replace Low Beam Headlamp Connectors

So I see the Timing Chain, the Water Pump, and the Headlamps in there. The tranny isn't in there, but I didn't feel anything out of the ordinary on a test drive and from what I've seen, the transmission problems seem to be relegated to the earlier model years. I assume once replaced, they seem to be more reliable (water pump was replaced in 2010, so it should have the revised unit), is that the case?

Is there anything you see that would make you say "Run, don't walk away from this Outlook!"?

As one aside, when I went in to see it for the first time, the driver's side window switch must have just gone bad as the driver's door was taken apart and they are waiting for the part (seat heater didn't work either, but not sure somehow the fuses or the door is linked...so it wouldn't work).

Thank you all in advance!
Reimbursement could even be for repair work performed by the dealership, after warranty, for which GM determined later they would pay for the repair.

Personally....you probably would be better off by also getting into one without sunroof/moonroofs.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
PM sent. Mine is for sale.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sailfish said:
Reimbursement could even be for repair work performed by the dealership, after warranty, for which GM determined later they would pay for the repair.

Personally....you probably would be better off by also getting into one without sunroof/moonroofs.
Thanks for the feedback! I was thinking the same thing, it's my wife who really wants the roof. I thought the >= 2009 had been much more reliable with the sunroof. (I'm trying to make the wife happy and be okay with the purchase...however futile that may be.)

Does anything else stand out as a negative?

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Macros said:
Thanks for the feedback! I was thinking the same thing, it's my wife who really wants the roof. I thought the >= 2009 had been much more reliable with the sunroof. (I'm trying to make the wife happy and be okay with the purchase...however futile that may be.)

Does anything else stand out as a negative?
The list shows the timing chains replaced, which I had the same repair on my 07 Outlook, as well as the camshaft actuator and such.

Other than that, just the wave plates in the transmission are the only hi-expense items that I can think of.

We traded the 07 Outlook in on the 11 Enclave mainly because of the continuing issues with the leaks, sunroof/moonroof.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sailfish said:
The list shows the timing chains replaced, which I had the same repair on my 07 Outlook, as well as the camshaft actuator and such.

Other than that, just the wave plates in the transmission are the only hi-expense items that I can think of.

We traded the 07 Outlook in on the 11 Enclave mainly because of the continuing issues with the leaks, sunroof/moonroof.
Thanks again Sailfish! After you had the chain replaced, did you have any additional issues with it? We had actually looked at a '13 Enclave Convenience Group, but the cloth was like a weird velour and they no longer offer ebony cloth (only light grey titanium, which my wife cannot deal with). Adding leather pushes the cost a little out of my reach.

We were looking at a 2007 that was fully loaded, but when we called the dealership and notified them we were coming in, they called back and let us know that the Outlook wouldn't be available as the Sunroof leaked and there was water pooling all over the car. Dodged a bullet there....

·
Registered
131 Posts
Macros said:
We were looking at a 2007 that was fully loaded, but when we called the dealership and notified them we were coming in, they called back and let us know that the Outlook wouldn't be available as the Sunroof leaked and there was water pooling all over the car. Dodged a bullet there....
To clarify, the sunroof leaks were only with the 2007 and 2008's. The waveplate issue is definitely with the 2007 and 2008's, and may be with a certain VIN range of 2009's (found no confirmation as to the cut-off).

I've owned a 2009 Outlook XR since February 2011, with 19k miles. I am currently at 56k miles. I've had the water pump replaced, new steering rack & pump, HID bulb replaced, new MAF sensor, and updated transmission programming (since it improved my gas mileage). Cam chains, transmission, and sunroof continue to be trouble-free.

I invested in a GMPP warranty (Major Guard) @ 25k miles. It paid for the steering system components replacement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
XRDreamliner said:
To clarify, the sunroof leaks were only with the 2007 and 2008's. The waveplate issue is definitely with the 2007 and 2008's, and may be with a certain VIN range of 2009's (found no confirmation as to the cut-off).

I've owned a 2009 Outlook XR since February 2011, with 19k miles. I am currently at 56k miles. I've had the water pump replaced, new steering rack & pump, HID bulb replaced, new MAF sensor, and updated transmission programming (since it improved my gas mileage). Cam chains, transmission, and sunroof continue to be trouble-free.

I invested in a GMPP warranty (Major Guard) @ 25k miles. It paid for the steering system components replacement.
XRDreamliner, thanks for the input. This forum seems to have a lot of people with serious issues. It's a bit unnerving to be ready to buy and see so many issues. It's funny as beyond TrueDelta, there are a lot of sites that seem to rate the Lambda quintuplets pretty high in terms of reliability.

Beyond the MAF, the items you list seem to be reasonable for a 4 year old vehicle. I'm wondering what the extended warranty will cost as I'll likely invest in it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Macros said:
Beyond the MAF, the items you list seem to be reasonable for a 4 year old vehicle. I'm wondering what the extended warranty will cost as I'll likely invest in it.
Well, with GMPP, and in the case of the Outlook, you'll have to find a vehicle that still is within the 3 yr/36k mile B2B period, or where a private buyer has a GMPP already which is transferrable. For the B2B to still be active, it would have to be a 2010 Outlook, since some I believe were made as late as 1st quarter 2010. All 2010's were distributed to rental companies.

Otherwise, I'm sure if you buy through a dealer they can sell you an extended warranty through a third party warranty company.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
XR is correct. Say if/when I sell my Outlook ::) all I have to do is go down to the local GM dealer and transfer the GMPP warranty to the new owner for a fee of $50.00 I believe.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Macros said:
It's funny as beyond TrueDelta, there are a lot of sites that seem to rate the Lambda quintuplets pretty high in terms of reliability.
Really? Like who? The only other place I know that collects repair data to report reliability is Consumer Reports. I haven't looked at their ratings on the Lambdas. I'd be interested in seeing other data that counters True Delta's findings.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Similar subject was being discussed at yahoo answers last week. I can post the link if needed.

·
Registered
396 Posts
CamKrist said:
Similar subject was being discussed at yahoo answers last week. I can post the link if needed.
If you're talking about reliability data, yes, I'm always interested in seeing other data sources.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts