Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here we go I guess. After enjoying my 2007 Outlook XR for 45 days I have my first real problem. After sliding (right side wheels only) on a patch of ice I noticed that the CEL had come on. The vehicle continued driving fine and I didn't notice anything different. I called Onstar and they said it was the Throttle Position Sensor and I may get a high idle and total engine stoppage. They would not give me the code but said I could get it from the dealer. They are pretty quick to want to send you to the dealer. Then my conspiracy theory mind went into effect and remembered that I had a CEL with my last vehicle within 60 days of signing up with Onstar and that turned out to be nothing. Just turned the key to "on" 40 times and it cleared, never to be heard from again. I tried the 40 key turns again but it didn't clear this time. Guess I'll get the codes read somewhere. Like I said, I don't notice anything different. It's idling and driving normally. Could the sliding on the ice have anything to do with it? The ABS did kick in but I can't see the CEL coming on every time the ABS kicks in.

On a separate note. Does anyone else have an annoying vibration in the gas pedal while accelerating only? I have done a lot of research on this and have read where it could be a bad engine mount to bad drive axles.

My only other complaint is the crappy shifting. Why does it continuously down-shift when going up a slight hill and then not up-shift back with cruise control? For example I am driving on the highway and my rpms are at 1900 then I start going uphill a bit and my rpms jump to 3000 until the road levels and then the rpms drop to 2500 (not back to 1900). I have to decrease my speed to get the rpms back down.

Those are my only complaints thus far...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
CEL disappeared :thumb: Maybe I did reset it with the key turns. I'm going with the Onstar conspiracy though. Ya...take it to the dealer so they can charge you for nothing ;). Merry Christmas everyone.

·
Registered
131 Posts
RobXR said:
My only other complaint is the crappy shifting. Why does it continuously down-shift when going up a slight hill and then not up-shift back with cruise control? For example I am driving on the highway and my rpms are at 1900 then I start going uphill a bit and my rpms jump to 3000 until the road levels and then the rpms drop to 2500 (not back to 1900). I have to decrease my speed to get the rpms back down.
There's an update (Technical Service Bulletin) in the transmission programming which will address the behavior you describe. I had the same behavior with my '09 Outlook when driving up inclines. With the new programming, the torque converter stays locked longer when encountering higher load going up an incline in 6th gear.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
XRDreamliner said:
There's an update (Technical Service Bulletin) in the transmission programming which will address the behavior you describe. I had the same behavior with my '09 Outlook when driving up inclines. With the new programming, the torque converter stays locked longer when encountering higher load going up an incline in 6th gear.
Sadly the dealer and maintenance documents show that the vehicle already has the new updated programming. I was going to get a custom tune done on the ecm/tcm but it's $350 and it may or may not make a difference.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
RobXR said:
Sadly the dealer and maintenance documents show that the vehicle already has the new updated programming. I was going to get a custom tune done on the ecm/tcm but it's $350 and it may or may not make a difference.
it really depends on who you have do the tune. I have a custom tune on my Sierra and it's like driving a different truck from stock. Very nice indeed :thumb:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it was too good to be true. CEL back on then off for a few days followed by Service Stabilitrak/Service Traction Control for a day followed by Service Stabilitrak/Service Traction Control/Reduced Engine Power. Onstar says 3 issues showing. 2 to do with ABS and one with throttle positioning. Guess I'll do the top up brake fluid, clean tone rings, clean Throttle Body, and tighten gas cap to start. I'll keep you up to date...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright trying not to get my hopes up but I tightened the gas cap and topped up brake fluid (was about an inch below max) and the CEL went off again. Drove for about 30 minutes and no problems. Went to clean the throttle body and the oil cap was almost impossible to get off. I had to use pliers to turn and pull off. Then I was greeted with a chocolaty, sludgy mess. The oil looked foamy and light brown. I took off the TB and found more of the same inside. Did a thorough cleaning and took it for a drive. It drove noticeably better in that I couldn't feel the vibration in the gas pedal anymore. Could I have possibly fixed the throttle position issue by cleaning the TB? I don't know and I'm sure I'm not out of the woods yet. Guess I am going for an early oil change now as dealer I bought it from said they did it 2 months ago. Probably used the cheapest oil available...if they did it at all. I tried to attach the pics of the oil but I can't get it to work.

Just did a little more reading and I guess the foamy oil is nothing to worry about as long as it's not on the dipstick as well. Condensation under the cap...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tip on showing pics. Here's the pics of the foamy oil. BTW vehicle has been running great since TB cleaning. Want to add a catch can to reduce oil getting to the TB. Have sent out some PMs for advice. Feel free to chime in...

http://s1292.beta.photobucket.com/user/RobXR/media/20130104_085942_zps7e98fb75.jpg.html

http://s1292.beta.photobucket.com/user/RobXR/media/20130104_085953_zps2a5419bd.jpg.html

http://s1292.beta.photobucket.com/user/RobXR/media/20130104_090001_zpsfda1ac26.jpg.html

·
Registered
131 Posts
RobXR said:
Thanks for the tip on showing pics. Here's the pics of the foamy oil. BTW vehicle has been running great since TB cleaning. Want to add a catch can to reduce oil getting to the TB. Have sent out some PMs for advice. Feel free to chime in...
Could zoom out to show what your showing in the pics? Looks more like radiator filler neck than an oil filler neck. How many miles on the '07?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Scroll through his pics on photobucket. I thought the same thing but when you arrow to the left you can see the wire bundles near the filler hole. It isn't the rad neck, but my oil fill hole doesn't look like that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
About 123 000 miles. Ya lots. Sorry the 2 pics are of the oil cap inverted.

·
Registered
131 Posts
medicrxdoc said:
Scroll through his pics on photobucket. I thought the same thing but when you arrow to the left you can see the wire bundles near the filler hole. It isn't the rad neck, but my oil fill hole doesn't look like that.
By the looks of that oil filler neck, the oil is getting contaminated with coolant, which I would presume is coming from a head gasket leak. Otherwise, the engine has seen one too many short trips, and not enough oil changes in its life.

Next time the oil is drained (soon please), I'd take an oil sample and have Blackstone Labs perform an Oil Analysis. That would confirm the presence of coolant.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Do you do a lot of short trips where the temp doesn't get hot?

There is no question that there is moisture that shouldn't be there, but the real question is from where? A UOA would truly tell you if there is coolant contamination of the oil. Blackstone doesn't test directly for glycol. Polaris labs does test directly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oil on dipstick looks perfect but thanks for the tips. I will be monitoring it closely. I have a daily 20 minute commute to work on the highway. Not sure if that's considered short (about 18 miles). Oil change will be happening in the near future. Going to switch to synthetic oil. Like I said, used car lot likely put in cheapest oil.

·
Registered
754 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Just changed the oil in my 09 today (Penz Plat 5W-30 and a PF-48 filter) and I noticed the oil filler cap looked milky. I know it's not coolant because the coolant level hasn't moved but I do know that the short trips we make with it is probably causing it. Not using any oil either so I'm just chalking it up to being normal during colder temps as I've never noticed this in warmer temps.

·
Registered
252 Posts
This is the third time in a few weeks I have read about lots of condensation inside the oil fill cap. I hope it is just coincidence.

·
Registered
754 Posts
well- they popped up as soon as winter started...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
XRDreamliner said:
My apologies to XRDreamliner. Just did some more digging and although there was an update done to the transmission, it wasn't the 08-07-30-022 which deals with the poor shifting and hesitation. I'll be getting that done tomorrow. I'll post the results. Oh BTW this "voluntary" update is costing $135.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts