Saturn Outlook Forum banner

BATTERY DEAD ON '09 W/5,000 MILES!! TSB FIX!!

11K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  6Sixathome 
#1 ·
Well, surprise, surprise. Have driven my Outlook since purchase back in July trouble free. With just over 5,000 miles on her (just had the oil changed and tire rotation done last week), went out to the garage (she always is) to fire her and NUTHIN'! Repeated attempts the same. Our driving habits are we typically are driving her at least 5 out of 7 days a week. From short trips around town to 600 mile trips to see our son and family. Tried the Onstar in the garage and dead. Called them on my cell and they arranged for a flat bed to tow her to my dealer. I was also connected to my dealer directly by Onstar (thru my cell). Gave them a headsup that I'll be there within the hour.

Meanwhile, I couldn't get the key out she got so dead (I knew this from reading previous posts on electrical failure). Within 5 minutes the local tow operator was on the phone. I decided to see if I could jump her to get started and trip over to the dealer under her own power. Told the driver to give me 10 minutes and that I would call him back b/4 coming out. Fired up the Vette which was in hibernation, hooked up the jumpers and went in the house to warm up while letting the Vette charge up the Outlook. After 5 minutes keyed the Outlook and wallah lights, camera, action!

My dealership, Saturn of Lakeside, was ready. The writeup techs thought it might be a bad cell in the battery. They were confident the actual mechanic/tech would find the issue and fix it. Mine was a September, '08 build and had sat in dealerships for 10 months b/4 purchase. Quite possibly a reasonable explanation for a battery to go dead with the cold weather we have been experiencing for the last month or so.

Well, within an hour my Outlook was pulled out, completely washed and back in business. Here is the TSB: 09-06-03-002E: EI09060

My test will be to fire her in the morning.

This should help all you guys/gals with your '09's & '10's. :cheers: You will note this TSB applies to all 4 LAMBDAs.

Regards,

Jim
In God We Trust!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Followup on my initial dead battery issue. After reprogamming the IPC, the very next day I had a dead battery :banghead: ! Jumped the vehicle again and drove around with jumper cables in back. Hooked up a Battery Tender Christmas Eve and Christmas morning she was fully charged. Put close to 200 miles on her between the reprogramming of the dash cluster and this morning. Numerous stops and starts. Took it to my dealer this a.m. and had the starting system (battery, alternator, voltage regulator) checked out. Battery showed weak. They ended up replacing the battery.

Think it's now time to enjoy her again and just drive her!

Jim
In God We Trust!

#4 ·
So basicly the dealer took 1 hr to wash your car ::). Whay did'nt they just install a new battery in the 1st place? They have tester to see if the battery has a bad cell when a actual load is put on it. Just say-n.

#5 ·
6Sixathome,

I hear ya'. I should clarify here. The sales manager got involved and knew my vehicle had sat for 10 months before selling. He insisted (goodwill) on replacing the battery (the tech said that it did test OK this morning). So formally, the warranty replacement states weak battery replaced. I hope that's the only electrical gremlin and it's behind me.

Oh yeh, they washed her again ;D

Regards,

Jim
In God We Trust!

#6 ·
same thing happened to me.

COCOATAN09XR said:
Well, surprise, surprise. Have driven my Outlook since purchase back in July trouble free. With just over 5,000 miles on her (just had the oil changed and tire rotation done last week), went out to the garage (she always is) to fire her and NUTHIN'! Repeated attempts the same. Our driving habits are we typically are driving her at least 5 out of 7 days a week. From short trips around town to 600 mile trips to see our son and family. Tried the Onstar in the garage and dead. Called them on my cell and they arranged for a flat bed to tow her to my dealer. I was also connected to my dealer directly by Onstar (thru my cell). Gave them a headsup that I'll be there within the hour.

Meanwhile, I couldn't get the key out she got so dead (I knew this from reading previous posts on electrical failure). Within 5 minutes the local tow operator was on the phone. I decided to see if I could jump her to get started and trip over to the dealer under her own power. Told the driver to give me 10 minutes and that I would call him back b/4 coming out. Fired up the Vette which was in hibernation, hooked up the jumpers and went in the house to warm up while letting the Vette charge up the Outlook. After 5 minutes keyed the Outlook and wallah lights, camera, action!

My cars[/color] dealership, Saturn of Lakeside, was ready. The writeup techs thought it might be a bad cell in the battery. They were confident the actual mechanic/tech would find the issue and fix it. Mine was a September, '08 build and had sat in dealerships for 10 months b/4 purchase. Quite possibly a reasonable explanation for a battery to go dead with the cold weather we have been experiencing for the last month or so.

Well, within an hour my Outlook was pulled out tire[/color], completely washed and back in business. Here is the TSB: 09-06-03-002E: EI09060

My test will be to fire her in the morning.

This should help all you guys/gals with your '09's & '10's. :cheers: You will note this TSB applies to all 4 LAMBDAs.

Regards,

Jim
In God We Trust!

#7 ·
trev0006 said:
same thing happened to me.
trev0006,

:welcome: please fill in you signature with year, model ,options, etc so we know exactually what you have, thanks. Did you get a new battery as well or was it something different?

#9 ·
Went in first thing this am, showed service guys the TSB and they refused to do anything about it. They said if no problem then we won't do anything. I said you can't even plug the car in and make sure it is the most current program, again they said no. They said it was not a recall and was not Vin specific so they would not do anything about it. I can't believe how lazy some people can be, how much effort does it take to make sure a customers vehicle has the right updates to perform at its best, it's not like I wanted them to reprogram the entire truck just make sure the TSB portion was fixed. Bob Johnson Chevy in Rochester NY if anybody cares, I have dealt with this dealer for over 20 years and never had such a poor experience, never again, guess I have to go across town to the dealer I bought it from and get them to check it for me. Hope the rest of you have better results than I. :eek:hno:

#10 ·
lsuduke said:
Went in first thing this am, showed service guys the TSB and they refused to do anything about it. They said if no problem then we won't do anything. I said you can't even plug the car in and make sure it is the most current program, again they said no. They said it was not a recall and was not Vin specific so they would not do anything about it. I can't believe how lazy some people can be, how much effort does it take to make sure a customers vehicle has the right updates to perform at its best, it's not like I wanted them to reprogram the entire truck just make sure the TSB portion was fixed. Bob Johnson Chevy in Rochester NY if anybody cares, I have dealt with this dealer for over 20 years and never had such a poor experience, never again, guess I have to go across town to the dealer I bought it from and get them to check it for me. Hope the rest of you have better results than I. :eek:hno:
I can't believe that they would'nt even check this out for you :angryfire: I hope that the dealer you bought it from will be better :-\

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.