Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the wonderful timing chain issue with our 2007 Saturn Outlook XR FWD. This in turn has caused a whole headache of other issues I started in another post. But to sum it up the head also was messed up so we ended up replacing the motor. After driving it for maybe a half hour after we got it back the check engine light came on now saying that the catalytic converter was bad. When the dealership pulled the codes they said they thought it was from the timing chain going bad. We went through the whole thing with GM customer "service" again and finally heard back from them that they wont replace the catalytic converter because the brake master cylinder was leaking and I need new brake pads and that is what caused the catalytic converter to go bad. After replacing the motor they said nothing about my master cylinder leaking. Has anyone seen this happen before or could someone explain to me how this could even be possible? It does not look like the exhaust runs anywhere near the master cylinder and I don't even believe them that it is leaking. I see no fluid around it at all.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The master cylinder has absolutely nothing to do with the catalytic converter. You may need to speak to someone higher up the food chain.
Tim C.

·
Registered
754 Posts
the master cylinder on these vehicles- are known to leak INTERNALLY. no liquid seen on the outside.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is what they are telling me now. It is leaking and getting into the vacuum line and that is what has caused all my problems. I would think if it was leaking that bad that I would have lost fluid enough to have brake issues or at least get a light saying it was low. I am going to go out and check the vacuum line now to see if there is any fluid.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I know of the issues with the master cylinders, but I still don't see how that fluid would get drawn into the vacuum line of the booster unless your booster was bad too. At that point you would have a very hard brake pedal along with what you said, a noticeable loss of brake fluid.
Tim C.
JWolt4 said:
I would think if it was leaking that bad that I would have lost fluid enough to have brake issues or at least get a light saying it was low.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts