Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have recommendations on which Cargo Carrier/Box to get? Has anyone gotten the one from Saturn? and if so what brand is it, and what are the pros and cons? And what about the roof cross bars, are they pretty strong.

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks HockeyMom, that was helpful insight.

·
Registered
51 Posts
This is what I purchased and have used extensively. It is very large, and the least expensive option I found, which was a great combination. I've used it in rain, wind, snow, everything, and it works great. It is secure, quick and easy to install and take off, holds a ton of stuff, protects it all very well and keeps it dry. It may not be as sexy as some of the others, but at only $169.00, I can handle not having a brand name displayed prominently on my cargo carrier.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02872020000P

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info VMMVMMM. This may be the one I go with. Which cross rails did you go with? The ones from Saturn?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes, I just purchased them myself and popped them on, it was very simple. I think you'll really like the cargo box, I have been very pleased with it, and it is far cheaper than most/all of the suggestions on the other threads. We no longer have any issues with space when we are going on trips.

·
Registered
20 Posts
VMMVMMM said:
Yes, I just purchased them myself and popped them on, it was very simple. I think you'll really like the cargo box, I have been very pleased with it, and it is far cheaper than most/all of the suggestions on the other threads. We no longer have any issues with space when we are going on trips.
I also installed the factory crossbars... I'm mechanically challenged and was able to instal both in less than 30 minutes. READ the instructions prior to actually installing. They are NOT the same length.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Can someone please give me some tips on using the cargo box?

At 5'7", I'm not exactly tall. But I wouldn't call my self short either. But I can't even see the top of my Outlook, much less reach into the cargo box to retrieve items.

Do you carry a step ladder in the Outlook? Otherwise, how do you reach in the cargo box while, say, at a shopping mall?

·
Registered
10 Posts
eelfliw said:
Can someone please give me some tips on using the cargo box?

At 5'7", I'm not exactly tall. But I wouldn't call my self short either. But I can't even see the top of my Outlook, much less reach into the cargo box to retrieve items.

Do you carry a step ladder in the Outlook? Otherwise, how do you reach in the cargo box while, say, at a shopping mall?
I'm about the same height and I am fine using mine while standing in one of the rear door openings.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I also use a small stepladder that I carry in the car when I travel. It's very small and collapsible, more of a stool, really.

·
Registered
2 Posts
VMMVMMM ,

I just bought a 2009 XR. I installed the factory crossbars myself, easy. I went to SEARS to buy the Cargo-Extreme 18cfu cargo box but the flip manual at the store indicated it would not fit an Outlook. I called the 800 number on the book and it turns out it was Thule. They told me none of the boxes at Sears would fit teh Outlook and recommended the atlantis model.

I have 2 questions. Did you have any issue mounting the cargo-20 box on the car?

Also, does anyone know the weight load rating for the cross-bars? This seems to be a state secret.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oops. Just answered the weight limit question. 200 lbs as per page 2-52 of the manual. I love searching PDF document for keywords.

·
Registered
40 Posts
FYI, we are in the Outer Banks on vacation and I am shocked at the number of Sears Cargo Carriers down here. It must every 5 out of 8 vehicles, its pretty astonishing. I see Thule and Yakima but Sears is the big winner so I am sorry to hear that the Sears box will not fit. I did catch an Acura with the Yakima Skybox on it here while my son and I were riding our bikes to downtown Duck, NC. Here it is:

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Sears X-Cargo 20 fits just fine. Many Acadia owners use it with no problems.

The reason is because the X-Cargo 20 opens to the rear and the XM radio antenna is back there.

If you are careful, there is no reason why is can't work.

·
Registered
40 Posts
crispy said:
The Sears X-Cargo 20 fits just fine. Many Acadia owners use it with no problems.

The reason is because the X-Cargo 20 opens to the rear and the XM radio antenna is back there.

If you are careful, there is no reason why is can't work.
OK, we are on vacation still in the Outer Banks and I have seen 2 Acadia's with the Sears X-Cargo 20 on top so they are being used by Lambada owners.

the dears

·
Registered
40 Posts
Updated: 3rd time is the charm, this time we were on vacation in Myrtle Beach, SC, I did see atleast 3 Outlooks/Acadia's with the Sears Cargo Box, here is a picture of one at Barefoot Landing in North Myrtle Beach from last week. And, I would say 80% of every vehicle I have seen on 2 vacations have the Sears Cargo 20 cubic foot box.

the dears

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts