Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 outlook we bought it used in october 2015 with just under 80k miles. A month after we bought it timing chain had to be replaced, got that done drove it for a few months then the a/c compressor had to be replaced. Seemed to be running great that is until we were going down the interstate and the stabiltrak, traction control light and CEL light all came on, it had done this before however messages went away shortly after, this time the messaged never went away drove it probably 10-15 miles and it just lost all power didn't die just sputtered almost like it was out of gas pulled off the interstate and as soon as we stopped it died and would not start, it would crank but wouldn't start. Also everytime we get fuel i have to hold the accelorarer to the floor to get it started which makes me think i could be something with the fuel relay. We've dumped close to $3k in this saturn and its one thing after another I'd love to keep it but its turned into a money pit and at this point I'd like to get rid of it before anything else goes wrong. I have small children and I don't feel safe driving this vehicle any longer if anyone has any idea how this could be fix please let me know. Oh and yes we've tried talking to GM but they won't do anything because it has a rebuilt title, which i find unbelievable because they wont stand behind their products. I've seen many people post about this issue and they've gotten them fixed under warranty however they refuse to do anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
754 Posts
1) have you cleaned your throttle body?
during cold weather--- a dirty TB will cause the issues you mention with Stabilitrack, reduced power, etc..... give that a try 1st.
there are HOW TOs on the forum.

2)Hard start after filling up...

is an easy fix. About $40.
Its a bad Purge Valve Solenoid.
The usual cause for it going bad? Owners who overfill the gas tank.
What is happening is gas and carbon debris is making its way to that solenoid and ruining it.

here are threads about it

http://www.saturnoutlookforum.net/index.php?topic=2042.0
http://www.acadiaforum.net/index.php?topic=12083.0

3)Salvage title.
I have never read a thread where any automaker fixed a vehicle with a salvage title.

4) timing chain....
I did see a thread of an owner with a 2010 Traverse.... and timing chain issue....
(this owners Traverse was built within 1 day of mine)
But he received Goodwill because he was such a low mileage unit.

Service says normally $2500-$3000. They said for Goodwill max from GM because I am under 50K $1100

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you I will have to try cleaning the throttle body. I too have heard about the purge valve solenoid which I plan to replace this weekend.
I understand What you and the dealers are saying about salvage title, but what frustrated me is that they wouldn't even help to diagnose the problems. They told us to take it to a mechanic. I've been told by our mechanic that these types of vehicles are notorious for bad timing chains. I'm supprised there hasn't been a recall. I'll definitely get a mechanics opion before the next vehical purchase. Thank you!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Bgsslr said:
I've been told by our mechanic that these types of vehicles are notorious for bad timing chains. I'm supprised there hasn't been a recall.
The 2007's do indeed have an extended warranty on the chains. 10 yrs or 120,000 miles.
With the Salvage title-- this warranty most likely does not apply to your vehicle.

#11340C: Special Coverage Adjustment-Timing Chain Wear - (Feb 16, 2012)

Subject: 11340C – Special Coverage Adjustment — Timing Chain Wear

Models: 2009 Buick Enclave
2007-2009 Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS
2009 Chevrolet Traverse
2007 GMC Acadia
2009 GMC Acadia
2007 Saturn OUTLOOK[/color]
2009 Saturn OUTLOOK
Equipped with 2.8L/3.6L Engine (LP1/LY7/LLT)

Condition
On some 2007 model year Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS; GMC Acadia; and Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles that are equipped with a 2.8L/3.6L V6 engine (LP1/LY7), under certain driving conditions, and with the vehicle’s original oil change intervals, the timing chain could wear prematurely and cause the illumination of the Service Engine Soon light.

Special Coverage Adjustment
This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.[/color]

Dealers are to replace the timing chain. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after February 17, 2012, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to February 17, 2012, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles Involved
Involved are certain 2007 model year Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS; GMC Acadia; and Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles equipped with a 2.8L/3.6L V6 engine (LP1/LY7).

Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the Applicable Warranties section in the Global Warranty Management System.

Parts Information
Parts required to complete this special coverage are to be obtained from General Motors Customer Care and Aftersales (GMCC&A).

Service Procedure
Verify that the timing chain requires replacement. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information in SI.

• If the timing chain does NOT require replacement, no further action is required. Inform the customer that any additional diagnosis and repairs are not covered under this special coverage.
• If the timing chain requires replacement, refer to the appropriate timing chain replacement procedure in SI.
Courtesy Transportation – For US and Canada
The General Motors Courtesy Transportation program is intended to minimize customer inconvenience when a vehicle requires a repair that is covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranties. The availability of courtesy transportation to customers whose vehicles are within the warranty coverage period and involved in a product program is very important in maintaining customer satisfaction. Dealers are to ensure that these customers understand that shuttle service or some other form of courtesy transportation is available and will be provided at no charge. Dealers should refer to the General Motors Service Policies and Procedures Manual for Courtesy Transportation guidelines.

Warranty Transaction Information
Submit a transaction using the table below.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts