Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, since I hit the 100k club thought I might as well change the plugs. My MPG had went down a little and I was starting to notice a little bit of a miss when starting cold. It was a pretty involved situation. I had to remove the upper intake off (per GM instruction) to get to the back 3. If any of you plan to do this, make sure to take off all the insulation first from the intake. I thought I could cheat it but it just fought. Took me about 2 hours to do (changed oil at the same time). Only thing that concerned me was all the oil in the intake tube. 2 this summer when driving hard on long trips I noticed it using a little oil. I now know where this oil has been going.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the intake tube oil...that's normal, yes people do get more than others.

As for the old plugs, how did they look? By any chance did you measure the old gap? I have read of this engine in a CTS with 50K on the plugs and the electrode was worn down quite a bit...enough to be causing misses.

·
Registered
754 Posts
yes oil in the intake is fine...

But did you take pics of you taking off the intake?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I know the oil in the intake is a common issue. Normally you see it more often in turbo'd or supercharged motors because of the increased pressures inside the motor. I had driven it hard twice once while towing a trailer. It was over a quart low after the tow!!!

No, I have not measured the gaps yet but just by looking at them you can tell the gaps are way off. Like I said before I felt a slight miss when the engine was started first thing in the morning but didn't seem to affect anything else. I noticed my combined MPG falling down to 17.3 though. Also one time I was flooring it to pass a car and the vehicle actually cut out for a second. This is when I thought it was time for plugs and indeed it was :beer:

No, sorry I didn't take any pictures. I was in such a hurry that I didn't have the camera handy. It really wasn't all that bad once I had all the insulation off. The back 2 10mm bolts that held this insulation to the intake were probably the worst ones to get at. 2nd to that was getting the intake back on with these super long bolts (about 7" long). There were 4 of these that went through the center of the intake. The front two you could pull all the way out. The back 2 hit the cowl so when putting things together, you have to have the back 2 bolts sort of already in the back holes while positioning the intake back on. There's only about 1/2" of play when doing this and the back intake gasket can get pulled off it's area it needs to be. Extreme care has to be had when putting the intake back on because of this.

Everything else was pretty easy. Just snapping electrical connectors and such. I did remove the crank case tube, intake, and also the fuel vapor line to make it easier. You will need to have a decent set of extensions and swivels to reach some of the bolts. Glad I did it and glad that I got it done. It ran so much smoother. Drove about 50 miles combined driving and the DLC showed an average of 20.2MPG :binky:

·
Registered
18 Posts
What year is your Outlook? BTW, I've been using Castrol Edge Titanium (gold bottle), and when I checked at 9,000 then 19,200 miles, there was virtually no oil in the intake tube at all - I was really surprised.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts