Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having this problem for a few months now: after I get gas at the station my 07' Outlook XR has trouble starting, I have to hold the key in the start position for about 5 seconds after it turns over it rumbles a bit and after a few seconds it's running like a charm. The check engine light is on and I was told that i needed to have my Gas cap replaced (That has been done with no avail) We are planing on taking a trip to Houston (About a 200 mile drive) and I don't feel real comfortable driving a car with a problem related to the fuel system. Please Help!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Search "purge valve" on these forums and you will be able to fix your problem for under $60.00 in about 20 minutes. Very easy to do.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ls973800 said:
Search "purge valve" on these forums and you will be able to fix your problem for under $60.00 in about 20 minutes. Very easy to do.
I was looking into that, thanks, I feel a little better knowing that somebody else thinks that the same thing could be the problem. I just now ordered the part from my NAPA store and they said i'd be in on tuesday.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ls973800 said:
Let us know if that takes care of the problem. :thumb:
Will do. Pardon be asking but what is the purpose of this part? I mean "purge" is in the name (I get that) but what does it purge? Why? and what would cause this part to fail? I just want to prevent this from happening again.

·
Registered
214 Posts
saturnxr said:
Will do. Pardon be asking but what is the purpose of this part? I mean "purge" is in the name (I get that) but what does it purge? Why? and what would cause this part to fail? I just want to prevent this from happening again.
Many people say it fails when you top off the gas when refueling. I have never had a problem and have topped off for decades with various cars and trucks. I don't know what it purges or why it causes hard starting after refueling.

Just guessing maybe fumes that flood the engine?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ls973800 said:
Many people say it fails when you top off the gas when refueling. I have never had a problem and have topped off for decades with various cars and trucks. I don't know what it purges or why it causes hard starting after refueling.

Just guessing maybe fumes that flood the engine?
I was thinking about that, I was inside the engine bay today and based off of it's location and what its tubes are connected to, it removes excess fuel from the engine (Like to prevent flooding) which could explain the rough starts. I also read that it can also have a big effect on highway fuel economy (I have noted a sudden drop once again by recycling excess fuel). But what concerns me that, to be honest, I haven't topped off my car in about a year its always been filled to half a tank no more no less. (I haven't had the need to fully fill the tank in a while)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
saturnxr said:
I was thinking about that, I was inside the engine bay today and based off of it's location and what its tubes are connected to, it removes excess fuel from the engine (Like to prevent flooding) which could explain the rough starts. I also read that it can also have a big effect on highway fuel economy (I have noted a sudden drop once again buy recycling excess fuel). But what concerns me that, to be honest, I haven't topped off my car in about a year its always been filled to half a tank no more no less. (Times are tough and my poor Outlook is feelin' it.)
I have replaced the part, note to anyone: the pipe that goes from the back of the valve to the top of the manifold is EXTREMELY brittle, and they are not carried by major re-manufactures. I had to make a trip to Autozone (Thanks go out to my awesome neighbor) and buy heat resistant rubber tubing, heat resistant sealant and high strangth clips to attach the hose to the clamps that I had to brake off the original tube. Never the less the repair is 100% complete and my Outlook started and revved without issue. I am now off to the gas station...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
saturnxr said:
I have replaced the part, note to anyone: the pipe that goes from the back of the valve to the top of the manifold is EXTREMELY brittle, and they are not carried by major re-manufactures. I had to make a trip to Autozone (Thanks go out to my awesome neighbor) and buy heat resistant rubber tubing, heat resistant sealant and high strangth clips to attach the hose to the clamps that I had to brake off the original tube. Never the less the repair is 100% complete and my Outlook started and revved without issue. I am now off to the gas station...
Just got back, it started without problem, I have also noticed that the engine is, quieter, the fan isn't running 24/7, and the revs don't seen to get up so high. Thanks for all the help!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Happy to hear you were able to get it back on the road without too much hassle. Like I mentioned, your the first I heard of that had a problem with the hose breaking.

Enjoy those instant starts after refueling now!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts