Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my compartment with the jack there is a bag in there with what looks like a clear plastic tarp and a cable that has hooks on the end that have black heat shrink on them.

what is it for? ???

·
Registered
60 Posts
From the owner's manual - "Notice: Storing the full-size flat tire in the underbody hoist system can expose it to heat from the exhaust system. This can damage the tire and underbody hoist system. Do not store the full-size flat tire in the underbody hoist system. "

So, the cables allow you to secure the tire standing up the rear storage area behind the third row seats.

See the section titled "Storing the Flat Tire" on page 5-97 of the 2008 pdf file.

It doesn't say anything about the tarp, maybe that is to put over the tire to protect the interior.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tim said:
From the owner's manual - "Notice: Storing the full-size flat tire in the underbody hoist system can expose it to heat from the exhaust system. This can damage the tire and underbody hoist system. Do not store the full-size flat tire in the underbody hoist system. "

So, the cables allow you to secure the tire standing up the rear storage area behind the third row seats.

See the section titled "Storing the Flat Tire" on page 5-97 of the 2008 pdf file.

It doesn't say anything about the tarp, maybe that is to put over the tire to protect the interior.
In today's sue happy world I guess they have to cover their a$$ on everything.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Could be to protect the back end, could also be to put on the ground if you have to get down there when working on the tire, keeps you from getting dirtier.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I thought i remember there being some sort of plug and at the dealer sales guy said it was for the trailer brake (IIRC).

It was in a clear bag.....iirc

But i vaguely remember something about keeping you from getting dirty when changing tire like KHansen30 said.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I should of never asked what that clear plastic was. I had a flat tire in the Outlook. 699 miles on the car.

It's a plastic bag, that you can put the tire in.

Also the jack is a pain in the butt to use. You can only do half turns with the lug nut wrench to raise the car up. Needless to say, it took about 30 minutes to lift the car up enough to raiseraise it; and another 30 to lower it. :angryfire:

Your best bet is to keep a socket wrench in the car with the same size socket as the jack for quicker tire changes.

No nascar tire changes with this set. I'm glad I had a spare. I knew that something was in the tire and I was on my way to get it plugged.

Good news is that the DIC told me to check the tire pressure as soon as the object that was in the tire came out. 30 seconds later. Flat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts