Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to have cylinders 2 and 5 coil packs and plugs replaced last summer and now am getting the same symptoms....so frustrated. Love this car but are the problems worth it? How many times have any of you had this problem?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am at around 75,000 now and I am the second owner. just bought it April 2012 and had dealership diag. last misfires last July and they replaced cyl. 2 and 5 plug and coil pack. Now have the same type things happening again only this time it really seams like a programming issue. I can be on the highway cruising at whatever speed, running perfectly fine and the moment I turn on the cruise control and set it it starts missing, bucking horribly. I turn of the cruise immediately and it goes back to running normal. I am lost. I don't have the money at the moment to take it in and have it fixed. Any info anyone can give me is much appreciated.
Sincerely,
Garth

·
Registered
754 Posts
Would Powertrain warranty of 5yr/100,000 cover some of this type of repair?

(other owners on here may know)

·
Registered
214 Posts
If it is only happening when you turn the cruise on, and it goes away when you turn the cruise off, I don't think it is the coils or spark plugs. If it was a coil or spark plug, I don't think setting or turning off the cruise control would have any effect unless you are going up hill and it is under load.

The cruise system utilizes some items which send or receive electrical inputs or outputs. These include the brake pedal position sensor, the body control module, and the engine control module, along with the buttons on the steering wheel and the accelerator pedal. A poor connection or problem with any of these could interrupt any signal being sent or received, and may cause the car to jerk or miss perhaps.

If you are in cruise and it is missing, what happens if you leave it in cruise but accelerate by pressing on the gas pedal? This action should override the cruise system and show if there are any misses or not while accelerating.

You could also stop at a parts store and have any codes read which may be stored in the computer. There are specific codes for misfires, and also for cruise control malfunctions. Many parts stores will read the codes for free since you are not in California.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today took to the dealership and had the bank 2 sensor 1 oxygen sensor replaced so no more check engine light on all the time. Driving home every slight incline the car shuddered violently and check engine light would flash until the ground leveled out then the shuddering stopped and check engine light stopped flashing. Car acts normal on level ground. With cruise on or off it still shudders on any incline at all. I am at a loss....so frustrated I love this car!!!!! Can anyone give me insight into what might be happening?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Has anyone had any luck with aftermaket coil packs lasting longer than a year? I finally have some time this weekend cause of the 8 inches of rain we had in the last two days all weekend plans have now been cancelled. I am going to replace coils and plugs. Any advice would be great. Check engine light on again with cylinder 5 misfire and there has to be another one but no code for that one just P0305.....aarrrggggg!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Ive only seen the Bosch/ACdelco units for the 2009's

and the Denso/Acdelco for 2010s...

2011's and up-- I dont know.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so in the past 2 weeks I had cylinder 5 coil and plug replaced yet again, and yesterday they replaced one of the cats. It is running great now and I will probably jinx it by typing this, but wanted to let everyone know that for right now most problems are dealt with. Still have only the driver side speakers working 99% of the time and need to replace the drivers door switch panel to be able to work the front passenger door window.Hey if there weren't problems in life it would be boring....lol :thumb:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm obviously novice when it comes to auto mechanics, but why just one cylinder plug replaced ?

In my '75 datsun or later my '86 honda I (DIY) would always replace all plugs. Would it not be best to still replace all 6 plugs in new tech units ?

What plugs are requisite for the Outlook ('08) ?
And does anyone have the digital copy of the sparkplug where-how pages from the factory manual... they have airfilter instructions in the owners manual but not the sparkplugs (not even specs on them !)

They must be a :banghead: to r/r for a novice diy !?

Thanks for any info (and hope this does not diverge off the main topic... "again are acting up" )

Doug C

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it was me doing the work yes I would replace all the plugs, but since the dealership did it and the plugs aren't supposed to need replacing till 100,000 miles they just do the one that is causing problems. I am not complaining the car is back to running like new again. The coil packs are mostly to blame for the problems anymore IMO anyway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
hmmm all plugs at the same time best !

Picked up the plugs at dealership for 10cdn ea. this past month, but even with data input from another forum poster saw how tight it would be to get it done, backed out that day. Saw vid a couple days later yowser project for a novice used to r/r plugs from say a '86 !

doug c

1 - 12 of 12 Posts