Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I wrote "Is the Sun Setting on Saturn?" in our original blog from the 2006 Detroit Auto Show, I honestly wasn't sure where this GM division was going. Since then, we've been mildly impressed with the Auras we've tested; the Aura only lacks at least average reliability data to be CR Recommended. We also have a Saturn Sky Red Line in our test fleet, which we feel is noticeably better than previously tested Pontiac Solstice, upon which it's based.

So, what is our outlook on the Outlook? Is this SUV/minivan/wagon helping to revive the once sizzling Saturn brand? We have posted a Just In report in the blog, and recently added a First Look as the Saturn motors its way through our test regimen on its way to a complete road test. We've seen the queries in our Forums asking about the Outlook, (discuss Saturns here) so we present our candid test notes from the logbook to provide even more insight:

"Very nice ride, handling, and steering."

"The car feels sluggish on the highway due to the transmission shift logic. The trans goes into high gear very early and is reluctant to kick down when the cruise control is set."

"Very quiet and well-isolated from the road."

"Feels far smaller than it really is to drive."

"Very comfortable seats and a good looking interior."

"Third-row seat access is pretty good; the seat is truly useable."

"Only complaints: Rear sill is still WAY too high, blocking rear vision; tiny climate controls; and long reach to the radio's tune knob."

"Lower LATCH anchors are tucked away too tightly against the seatback cushions, making hooking child safety seat straps very difficult."

"[At 1,669 miles] there's some rattles now appearing, but still impresses as just the right size SUV for the family."

"This car does about 80 percent of what a Chevrolet Suburban does and drives almost as well as a Cadillac SRX."

"I prefer this over [most] luxury SUVs."

"I'd buy this over a Honda Pilot or Acura MDX."

"A stunning achievement for GM, fully realized out of the box and you don't need to buy a loaded version to get all the good stuff."

"GM has a real winner here - an SUV with the room of a minivan and the driving experience of a car. It's much like the Mercedes-Benz GL but $30K cheaper."

Other than a few gripes, we're quite impressed so far from this clean-sheet effort from GM. Check the August issue of Consumer Reports magazine to see how it stacks up against other three-row car-based SUVs, including the new Mazda CX-9, the updated Chrysler Pacifica, and the Hyundai Veracruz.

Source: http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2007/04/saturn_outlook_.html

1 - 1 of 1 Posts