Saturn Outlook Forum banner

Dash lights

15K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  allmet33 
#1 ·
I've read in the manual on page 183 where it states that the dash lights are not illuminated with the dlr's on. Mine stay on all the time the vehicle is turned on.
I don't want to have to pay for bulb replacements any sooner than absolutely
necessary. Maybe the bulbs are LED and I'm concerned over nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
My dash lights stay on all the time too, however...when the dlr's are on, the gauges are at their brightest so you can see them in the daylight or when the sun is shinging across the gauges. At night when the headlights activate, the dash gauge lights stay on, but dim down some since you don't need as much illumination to see them at night. I'm pretty sure the bulbs that responsible for the dash lighting are LED's as are most in the newer cars.

#4 ·
DRLs, or Daytime Running Lights are typically only on when the headlights are off. They are usually the high beam lights activated at low power so they are aimed further down the road, but don't shine brightly enough to produce excessive glare to oncoming traffic.
DRLs are supposed to be on if the headlights are not, and thus will be on if the AUTO setting is on during daylight hours. I have noticed a couple of times that when I hit the light knob with my knee accidentally and turn off the lights that all turn off including the DRLs. Otherwise, I think they are always on during the day.

#5 ·
I guess I haven't paid attention to the lights themselves, but I thought the DLR's were the low beam lights just not on a full power. You can turn them off, but as soon as you cut the vehicle off and start it again...they'll be back on again. I don't know how close you sit to the dash, but at 6'2", I never have an issue of bumping the light switch with my knee!!!

#6 ·
I've got my two year old in a car seat behind me, so I probably sit a bit closer just to keep him from kicking the back of my seat. Plus, I always keep my seating position so that my wrists break over the top of the steering wheel when my back is against the seatback, and since you are taller than me, if you do that, you probably sit farther back from the wheel than I do. I actually hit it all the time, which is annoying, but not a big deal.

#7 ·
Even with the 2nd row seat slid all the way back??? My 13 year old daughter sits behind me and my seat position has me sitting so that I can reach out with a straight arm and grab the top of the steering wheel and she has plenty of room behind me. I know it must be annoying to hit your knee on anything when you get in or out of your vehicle. The only annoyance I have is my key ring hitting my right knee when I'm driving. I wish they had put the ignition on the dash instead of the steering column.

#8 ·
Again, he's in a car seat, so he sits not only about 6 inches off the seat cushion, but a good 4 inches forward of the seatback. In addition, his legs are always pretty much straight out, and with how the seatback is reclined, he can easily kick up and hit the seat. He isn't pressed against the back of the seat, he just likes to kick it if he can, so I move it out of his way as much as possible. We all have plenty of room.

#11 ·
Thanks! ;D The expansion of the family is the main reason we made the purchase. I've got two other girls (12 & 10) that just won't stop growing, so the extra room was needed. Didn't want the bulkiness of a Tahoe or Expedition, but definitely needed something that seated 7 or 8. The Outlook is DEFINITELY...a great decision and choice for us. :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.