Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer added tow bar and wiring harness and new fuse block. Problem is that after hooking up to trailer lights there was a problem, most likely a short in the trailer lights. But the vehicle appears to "blow fuses" as the windows stop working, and the biggest issues is that the ignition will not release the key. They stays in the on position and will not rotate back and let you remove the key. And the windows stop working.

The vehicle is stock except for the dealer installed new fuse box. Any ideas? Also what engineer would think that if a trailer were to short should limit the functionality to the vehicle? In fact we left it at the ramp blocked in by another car. This is mind boggling to me.

Its an 07 outlook awd xe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, I have a 2008 Outlook XR and today experienced the same problem you did with the key not turning off so the ignition won't release it and the power windows don't work. I had my hitch installed 6 months ago and used it many times with no issues. It was raining today so maybe something got wet or maybe a wire wore through?

Do you have any more details that you can share with me regarding what the problem with your vehicle was? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
It almost sounds like a bare wire rubbing on the frame or a grounding issue. Take it back to whoever installed the hitch and say fix it NOW!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Eliminate the trailer from the equation. It can be it's own set of wiring problems. Use a simple light/turn signal tester that are sold in the trailer/camping aisle. Plug the tester into the connector on the wiring harness at the back of your tow vehicle. Run a check of your signal lights and brake lights and examine the lights on the tester. Should light up 'left' or 'right' or 'running lights'. If your vehicle still blows a fuse or has problems, it's in the wiring (or work) that the dealer did.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Got my vehicle back from the garage today. The problem was caused by one of the wires going to the hitch. It was rubbing against the hitch and shorted out. Had to install a new body control module and a couple of fuses and all is well now. The hitch was an after market install, can't blame GM for this one. 6Sixathome, looks like you nailed it! Thanks everyone for your input in trying to help me figure this out.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Nice find 6 :thumb: and congrats on the fix

1 - 6 of 6 Posts