Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post in this forum! I just purchase an 08 XR FWD and am have the dealership replace the factory premium radio with the nav, but he is leading me to believe I will not have some of the features a vehicle equipped with nav from the factory will have:

No rear camera
no DVD

My next question is if I get them to install factory headrest DVD's, will I be able to control them from the front console while in drive. I am hoping he is mistaken in saying this nav system will lack DVD capability, and I would like to control Movies from the NAV's DVD and tv shows from my ipod plugged into the phone jack input up front, again, while driving, so my kids (not me) can watch TV.

Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
There are two navigation units available. One is with CD player (for cars without Rear Seat Entertainment package) and one with DVD player (for RSE equipped cars). Retrofitting NAV with RSE I guess will be more expensive than order the car with it first place. So, understandably, dealer reffers to the non RSE navi unit.

Headrest monitors are independent from the head unit (they have dvd drive built in them) - you can't control it from the front seat. However even if your car is factory RSE equipped with Nav, you won't be able to control anything on the dvd but the volume using the head unit, because as soon as you shift out of park DVD controls get completely disabled. This safety precaution can be defeated, but certainly will pose safety hazard and I would recommed against it (this is a whole different discussion).

If you want the NAV with the DVD player I would suggest you to return your vehicle if it is not too late (you have 30 days to do so after the purchase) and upgrade to one with factory build RSE with NAV, which will give you the backup camera too (I find it very useful with this large vehicle with so much blind spots at the back)

RSE with NAV option on the other hand is quite expensive. If you aren't willing to dump the cash, you can always go with aftermarket solutions for each (DVD, Navi and even Rear view camera). I am not saying it is going to be integrated as well as the factory options is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the update! With no control over what is being view by my kids in the back it sounds like the Navi with DVD is useless for me, because I have no need for DVD up front. I spoke with the dealership and have decided to install the factory headrest DVDs which offer plenty of flexibility with a perfect match to the interior color. Do you know of any way to get a factory camera installed? Dealership is unsure if they can get it...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts