Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to get the diagnostic codes on a 2008 Saturn Outlook without a scan tool. We used to be able to turn the key a certain number of times in our van and the codes would flash. Of course, that was a few years ago.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Some auto parts stores (Auto Zone for one) will read the codes for free.

You used to be able to use a paper clip to ground between two of the posts, and read the number of times the light flashed on the dashboard. I sure wouldn't try that now with these computers on wheels!

·
Registered
754 Posts
nope... you need the OBD port scanner tool.

Try Auto zone.. theyll read them for free... (not in California though).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can't do that in Hawaii either! Only a certified technician can do it there so Auto Zone or O'Reilly's is out of the question. What a pile!
Was gonna buy them one, but don't want to fork out the $200. They are seriously considering getting rid of this car.

·
Registered
754 Posts
theres cheap readers for about $40 on ebay.
the cheaper ones just read the code and wont reset.

the higher the price- the more features.

I use software on my laptop- that lets me plot data (like rpm's, engine temp, speed etc). But it also lets me read and reset codes.
Was about $150. But Im also the go to guy for my friends-- so ive used it many times to read codes.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I usually go to Car Quest and they either let me borrow their OBD or read the codes right in their drive for free.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bought my code reader from AutoZone and it will reset the codes. I think it was about $40. Sounds like from your other posts that you're in Hawaii, if AutoZone won't sell the reader then maybe a friend stateside will buy one and send it to the islands. Good Luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ditto on having one of the auto parts stores read your code(s).

I may have to look into one of those code readers. I didn't realize they had become so inexpensive.

Thanks. :thumb:

·
Registered
754 Posts
look on ebay too.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I was in Advance Auto the other day and they had all kinds of OBD II readers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts