Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2009 Outlook XE with 126k miles. It was the previous owners 2nd car. So, it wasn't driven all too often. She was original owner. No major problems while previous owner had car. I got it for a song because 1.Car would die while driving down road at 65 mph with no sputter no sign what so ever. Check engine and some dash lights remain on. But, nothing to be heard from anywhere on vehicle. 2.A mobile mechanic that is a neighbor told her that due to there being oil in the throttle body that it had blown head gaskets and that was the entire problem. My husband is a diesel tech of 8 years and works on gas a lot of the time as well so he knows his stuff. We bought the car and it actually started and we were able to move it a block or so and were backing it into the driveway and it died again. Wouldn't start back up so we had to push it. I need help or anyone out there that may have run into the same problem(s) that can maybe give me some advice and help me in the right direction. Or my husband thinks its the PCV Positive control valve not opening up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
203 Posts
There is no mechanical PVC which opens or closes. The PVC is a Barb with one hole on the top and two smaller holes on the bottom. This has been the cause of many problems. Check out the link below, Camaros have the same engine.
http://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/v6-engine-discussion/53385-llt-lfx-pcv-orfice-mod-importance.html
The outlook is a side mounted engine so the barb is on the drivers side and close to the firewall. I did this mod, changed the throttle body, replaced the Mass Air Flow sensor and installed a small catch can and my problems have been gone for three years. The catch can collects a film of oil in the warm weather and condenses the moisture in the cold weather thus prevents the throttle body from freezing. A good throttle cleaning usually takes care of most issues.
You can also check out the other forums Traverse, Acadia and Enclave for other posts on the issue. Most of us owners call it a Milkshake in the air intake. How cold has it been where you are and are there any DIC messages or lights when it happens?

·
Registered
203 Posts
It may. How cold is where you live? If water is in your air intake, your throttle body can freeze up. If it is just built up oil, it may cause the throttle to stick. I went through a stretch three years ago where it was moisture freezing on the throttle during the polar vortex, the PVC mod eliminated 90 percent of the oil blowby, and moisture problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts