Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 Outlook has the backup camera and the auto dimming rear view mirror. Is there a way to turn off the dimming feature? The manual says the button on the left should do it, but with the B/U camera that button is to turn the camera on or off. The manual skims over that, sort of implying that there is no way to turn it off if you have the B/U camera too.

I like the feature mostly, but when towing my pop up camper, the mirror is so dark I can't see the trailer at all. During the day I can see the top of the trailer and over for what's behind. At night it's just a black void. Seeing the traffic behind and around the trailer is really hard as a result, especially on a rural interstate with no overhead lighting. It's really disconcerting and makes lane changes at night challenging. I'd love to disable it when towing if I can.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Have you tried it? I would think as long as you weren't in reverse; then that button should disable the auto dim and not the backup camera.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I tried it. The indicator to the left went out, but the mirror didn't change.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
I believe you have to hold the button in for a few seconds for it to deactivate the auto dim. I also believe it reactivates everytime you start the vehicle.

·
Registered
754 Posts
When I put my finger over the sensor- the mirror lightens up...
maybe electrical tape over the sensor?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had to hold it to get the light to go out, but that seems to only effect the camera.

I'll have to look for the sensor, it wasn't obvious to me where it was. Covering it would be an acceptable solution.

·
Registered
396 Posts
IIRC there is a sensor on the mirror side as well as the back side (the side facing the windshield). The sensor on the windshield size measures outside light and the sensor on the mirror side reads light coming from behind; double check me on that one :thumb:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't find any sensors on my mirror. Drove my sister's Suburban with a similar mirror but no B/U camera and it has two recesses near the buttons that I bet are the sensors (and a button to turn the auto dim off :mad:) It looks like I can't disable this stupid thing. Argh. :angryfire:

·
Registered
201 Posts
salguod said:
I can't find any sensors on my mirror. Drove my sister's Suburban with a similar mirror but no B/U camera and it has two recesses near the buttons that I bet are the sensors (and a button to turn the auto dim off :mad:) It looks like I can't disable this stupid thing. Argh. :angryfire:
On my '09 MY, the sensors are located top/center of the mirror surface as well as top ctr on the forward facing (windshield side).

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In the mirror glass or in the frame?

·
Registered
396 Posts
The "rear looking" sensor is on the glass itself, top center. The "forward looking" sensor on my 07 Acadia is towards the bottom of the frame

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Found the sensor (not easy to see that circle) and finally got around to blocking it the other night. Yup, no dimming with it blocked. I'll have to rig some kind of little plastic thing I can hang on the mirror to block that sensor. I could use electrical tape, but that's a little redneck. :tard: Besides, not sure I want it blocked all the time, just when I'm towing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts