Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any weekend mechanics tackled replacing their transmission on their own? I am thinking about tackling the job but wanted to see if anyone has gone through this yet. Is this something that a weekend mechanic can do without a car lift? I'm also hoping to do this without taking out the engine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The GM manual leads you to believe you don't have to remove the engine, although you have to support the engine and take out the front frame first. Youtube videos seem to take out the engine/transmission/frame all at once, but then again they all have a lift at their disposal.

I'm curious about the DIY guy getting into a transmission swap without a lift as well, so if people out there have done it please chime in. My 2008 Outlook is having transmission issues as well, so something needs to happen sooner rather than later.

On a related note, anyone have a private shop do the labor of removing and replacing the transmission with a used one from the junkyard, and if so how much did it cost? I know all about the 3-5-R wave plate issues, but spending $3K-$5K on a rebuilt transmission is crazy since at 149K miles it's barely worth that now.

·
Registered
754 Posts
ikaria73 said:
Have any weekend mechanics tackled replacing their transmission on their own? I am thinking about tackling the job but wanted to see if anyone has gone through this yet. Is this something that a weekend mechanic can do without a car lift? I'm also hoping to do this without taking out the engine.
An Enclave owner HAS lowered the engine at home.
and replaced his own 35R waveplate.

the thread.
http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=20633.0

this time lapse video shows him doing it in his garage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwVINhYXhtA

·
Registered
754 Posts
dthsmarsh said:
On a related note, anyone have a private shop do the labor of removing and replacing the transmission with a used one from the junkyard, and if so how much did it cost? I know all about the 3-5-R wave plate issues, but spending $3K-$5K on a rebuilt transmission is crazy since at 149K miles it's barely worth that now.
there as a mechanic on the Acadia forum- that has his own shop- and also does work for a local GM dealers.
his shop also does trannies.

He said- that his shop- will replace the 3-5-R wave plate (BEFORE it breaks)-- for about $700 I believe.
He recommended folks whose vehicles are in the wave plate problem range-- to replace the parts BEFORE they break.
Better to pay $700 than $4000....
He was able to do the work without fully removing the trans (if NOT broken)...
if he wave plates broke- then it has to come out...

But in your case- you want to do a swap.
he posted how they do the work- by holding the engine from above using chains- and they remove the engine cradle from below-- and are able to drop the trans only...
theres a thread on it in the Acadia forum--- keydiesel was his name..

theres a few pics of an 08 Saturn they dropped the tranny on.. look under 2012 pics-- you can clearly see the engine in the bay-- no cradle- no trans.

https://www.facebook.com/Key-Diesel-and-Transmission-144710248932100/photos_stream?ref=page_internal

·
Registered
40 Posts
rbarrios said:
there as a mechanic on the Acadia forum- that has his own shop- and also does work for a local GM dealers.
his shop also does trannies.

He said- that his shop- will replace the 3-5-R wave plate (BEFORE it breaks)-- for about $700 I believe.
He recommended folks whose vehicles are in the wave plate problem range-- to replace the parts BEFORE they break.
Better to pay $700 than $4000....
He was able to do the work without fully removing the trans (if NOT broken)...
if he wave plates broke- then it has to come out...

But in your case- you want to do a swap.
he posted how they do the work- by holding the engine from above using chains- and they remove the engine cradle from below-- and are able to drop the trans only...
theres a thread on it in the Acadia forum--- keydiesel was his name..

theres a few pics of an 08 Saturn they dropped the tranny on.. look under 2012 pics-- you can clearly see the engine in the bay-- no cradle- no trans.

https://www.facebook.com/Key-Diesel-and-Transmission-144710248932100/photos_stream?ref=page_internal
Hey RBarrios, I recently started having shuttering in my 09 Outlook. I had the transmission fluid changed and they put some shudder fixx in it but I still have the shuddering. I live in NOVA, any recommendations on who to look at it, to determine if it's the torque converter, and can be replaced, or if the tranny has to be replaced. Hope you are well. Thanks.

·
Registered
754 Posts
sorry--- no recommendation on who/where.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm looking to replace my transmission myself in my 2009 XE. It only has 85,000 miles on it. We were having the 3-5-R issues that plagued the 6t75. Now we have no reverse. Swapping out the transmission is not my concern, my concern lies within the computer . . . What can I do to get the cars computer to read the new transmission. Will I have to update it; or is it "plug and play" so to speak?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Brian in WV

1 - 8 of 8 Posts